[01x03] October 13th, 2008

[01x03] October 13th, 2008

• Total voters
From a french point of view , this episode is very interesting : i had to see twice the show to remark this:

First on the CLK review : anyone notice Pizzati's t-shirt ?

24a93ea7f0ea84878587fc8c92d9523e.jpg

It says something like : Alpe d' Huez (?) , i think it's Tour de France related.

Second : the news : what's this obsession with Arc de Triomphe roundabout , it's just to mimic TopGear ( remember the supercar challenge to the viaduc of Millaut via Paris?)

And Charlie Cox said : "...i am with the french this time , and i can't believe i have just said this " .
When you have nothing to say what about a little french bashing ? It will always please the audience :D

SIABSC : It's my understanding that her father is french and maybe her mother australian , anyway i laugh when she said : "Mais qu'est ce que tu fais !! Mais non !Allez! D?gages!!"

All in all , just another love-hate relation between anglosaxons and us :D

Last edited:
SIABSC : It's my understanding that her father is french and maybe her mother australian , anyway i laugh when she said : "Mais qu'est ce que tu fais !! Mais non !Allez! D?gages!!"
:D

Just looked up the english translation of "Mais qu'est ce que tu fais !! Mais non !Allez! D?gages!!"

Is the translation "But what are you doing! But no! Go! Clear!" correct?

If so I guess she must have been referring to navigating the arc de triomphe?

I think she was talking about learning how to drive in Sydney, where such phrases would be perfectly acceptable. Their 'highways' have disturbingly narrow lanes.

CLK review was good.

X6 review was really good.

Cheap car challenge was so so.

The guest was a fucking cock.

I gave it a 6.

Wait, I do know why, I guess it's because in the UK version they do all the 'oh cock' brit stuff all the time, but really it's coming off as seriously unatural in Top Gear AU...

I know next to nothing about Aus slang, being an Englisher, but the stuff the TGUK boys use is used in day to day life, and a lot of the time they're very cutting edge (I was describing things as "epic" long before I started watching TG, and then was surprised to discover I'd got it from Jeremy via my friends!). I think that they're doing the 'Englishman' stuff only in such a way as people actually do do it in England, and if the Australians are using slang that nobody uses, it's like they've watched TG and missed the point entirely. :/