[01x04] October 20th, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to the W427 review

for such an important car in Aussie history, i've barely seen any coverage on it.

Important?

I've seen die-hard Holden fans rant about how ridiculous the W427 is. Sure its got 375Kw, but that is only 18Kw more than the nearly identical GTS, which is less than half the price.

Ahem, minor maths error there. Sorry.:blush:

After recalculating it actually turns out to be 58Kw. Are you really going to argue that those 58Kw are worth an extra $81,000?!?

^ agree with stiggie. Although you do get more than just 58kw ... I don't think it is worth that sort of premium over the GTS. I had a quick look at the car at the end of filming ... it has some slight styling differences, but I wouldn't say it looks any better than a GTS. The interior is made out of the same materials* as a regular commodore and even with all the leather and it being a new (hardly driven) car it didn't have that new car leather smell .... which even the TRD HiLux had. I think the thing was concieved to take advantage of the boom market in old Brock Commodores and Walkinshaws ... but without the racing heritage of those cars, this one seems rather hollow and even cynical.

* cheap plastics

^ having said that... when i arrived at the studio ridiculously early, that same 427 did drive past me and turn into hangar area... the v8 gurgle, even at low revs did sound quite special :mrgreen:

I arrived at the hanger for episode 5 filming at 3:15 and as I was driving a little further up the road to The High Flyer bar the Audi R8 came down the street. God it looked nice.

The W427 is more than just power figures, its a special limited edition car, it has the suspension and brake package to back up its claims as well.

I honestly think its the last of this type of car we will see in Australia, the next Commodore will surely be smaller and lighter.

Its just a exercise in excess, that is what makes it truly special.

Got this in my email box today:

Tonight's episode of Top Gear Australia features an iconic Australian muscle car, the HSV W427, iconic Aussie actor, Jack Thompson and an iconic Australian sport ... lawn bowls!!!

SBS Executive Producer for Top Gear Australia, Denise Eriksen said, "The Lawn Bowls story has a bit of a special place in the heart of the presenters. It's the first shoot they ever did, but it came out of the last of the casting sessions where the remaining Top Gear Australia hopeful presenters had gathered for a brainstorming session.

"Warren Brown was scribbling away - as he does - and then presented his drawing pad to the gobsmacked fellow presenters and the production team asking "wonder what it would be like to play lawn bowls with a Mini".

"Top Gear Australia decided to find out ... and that's how the lawn bowls story came about but with Astras, not Minis."

"We were looking for something uniquely Australian and sporty and lawn bowls struck me," said co-host Warren Brown.

"I've had old relos, uncles and aunties, who've played lawn bowls. It's a precision sport, very graceful and Australian. So I was trying to figure out how we could use cars.

"The original idea was pulling Minis up the ramp with the steering locked and then let go. We since improved on the idea.

"The great thing about this was the way we did it, it was not a smash-up derby, it was exactly how lawn bowls is played and it was great fun.

"This picture now hangs on the wall at the production office."

Without wanting to spoil it for anyone, I'd argue that 1x04 is worth watching just for the Astra Lawn Bowls segment ...

LOL that's awesome! I would so love to see Warren's drawing of how it would work, his cartoons are rather good. I'm really looking forward to tonight's show now! It's my birthday and we're eating duck a l'orange (my mum is the best cook evar) but at 7:30 everything will stop so we can watch TGA.

It's on now with another freaking 4WD challenge. Later I look forward to the Igo soccer rip off, rebadged the "lawn bowls" challenge. The presenters with the exception of Wazza are terrible. Why do I bother...

final gear reprezent!!!

i caught my ugly mug wearing the FG shirt during the SIABSC segment! :)

lol I did find myself watching the audience more than the interview during that bit. I saw you there, very cool :)

Status
Not open for further replies.