[01x05] December 16th, 2016

[01x05] December 16th, 2016

• Total voters
You know how they do the kill the celebrity bit? Was anyone else expecting that shipping container to fall on them?

Gave it an 8.

The weighing was... pointless. I just felt bad for the MX5's bodywork. I can see what they were going for, but it fell too flat, I'd have cut that.

I actually like 'conversation street' as a segment, it's growing on me. They could probably arrange the studio/tent to be a bit more 'homey' rather than uncomfortable looking wooden chairs and that thing Jeremy's sitting on from 1981 though.

I loved the battleship segment... it was probably just a hair too long but I'll forgive it, it reminds me of the old TG segments from 10+ years ago and that's a good thing. It wasn't a total rehash, but a bright homage... could have been trimmed for time just a little though, even though I liked it.

Still dislike brain crash. I think I know what they're after, but I just don't think the joke is funny.

Liked the film overall.

This is one of those episodes where a little more trimming/editing, leading for time to fit in a small feature that wasn't "straight silly" would have made it a really memorable episode. It's definitely got the right idea, a good mix of 'car show' and 'a bit of cocking about'.

I'd love to know if what they've done with the cars in the race was as bad as for the cars in the Australia special in one of the last seasons of Top Gear.

You know how they do the kill the celebrity bit? Was anyone else expecting that shipping container to fall on them?

Yeah, I did.

But I guess that would have been too cruel.

Yes. The fact that they red-herring'd it with the shipping container was what saved this bit from being a total fail again.

I expected that as well, but maybe it would have been a bit difficult to pull off.

Fuck me, who writes the in-studio scripts? Cannon and ball?
It looks like I made the Zenos
"German game show host" :lmao:
Fuck me, please don't ruin this, Marrakesh was a great start.
Conversation Street is still awful.
Nooo, not a streetka!!!!
Ok, battleship was great. It was very TG series 4, but fun.
Fuck off with this shit.
That's 15 mins extra of Morocco we could have had.
Car scales are a few hundred quid. I forgot about this hilarity though... fuck me, this is awful.
Oh fuck me, I need to go to a Holland and end my life.
I was wondering why they were using a 2015 mx5, that explains it.

Last edited:

I was. Have to admit, I think they're starting to get a grip on how to do that segment, as much as people don't like it.

The thing is, viewers are now starting to ask, "how will the star get whacked this time?" Granted, they're doing it with a sigh and an eyeroll, but they're asking. And so long as the death scene is somehow entertaining, the script editor will keep on doing it.

The alternative is to try to do something like the old TG Cool Wall, which most viewers loved but R. Porter detested with a vehemence because it meant extra work for him. If we lobbied for that as a replacement, we can tell him that segments like that (where the unpredictable audience gets to play) are worth the pain of his ripping his hair out.

Can someone explain the red-lit room bit?

Loved the Battleship bit.

Conversion street:
+ I actually just noticed that the silhouette video clips are different each week. This could actually be fairly funny now if they took advantage of it.
- the stings are stupid if there is no change in venue. They should move over to different chairs, stools or something.

Can someone explain the red-lit room bit?

Loved the Battleship bit.

Conversion street:
+ I actually just noticed that the silhouette video clips are different each week. This could actually be fairly funny now if they took advantage of it.
- the stings are stupid if there is no change in venue. They should move over to different chairs, stools or something.

Amsterdam red light district, the prostitute display themselves in their front window, I'm guessing often under a red light.

Lacklustre and unimaginative is what describes this first TGT season best.

They don't even try reviewing the cars.
They don't even try acting like it wasn't a 100% scripted show.
They don't even try explaining what the filming was all about.

All they do is:

- go somewhere exotic
- pretend the be baffled by the "surprising" arrival of the 3rd member
- drive around for no reason at all other than pulling off their repetitive "gags"
- show beautiful slow motions of the cars without telling anything about them

Where's the camaraderie gone? Where's the purpose of their trips? Where's the info about the countries they visited?

I used to watch the boys as soon as I could, but as of now I even forget a new episode is available...

For me, they just don't have fun doing this stuff anymore.

Amsterdam red light district, the prostitute display themselves in their front window, I'm guessing often under a red light.

You should visit Amsterdam sometime... :D

Oh, see I thought that was it, but it seems like it should have been something to do with the band being electrocuted, like maybe there was some famous movie where someone was killed by people in a red room, or the red room had witnesses to an electrocution or something. In that case..."meh".

Good episode. Finally some true Hammond and May stuff. Didn't feel forced. More of this please.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. The Amsterdam Red Light district is pretty well known, mostly because it's in the oldest part of the town where all the tourists go. Especially young Brits go there for sex and drugs.

The tent was in Rotterdam though, not Amsterdam.

Too bad the Dutch Spyker car was seen only in the intro.

For me, they just don't have fun doing this stuff anymore.

For me, they look like they are having a bit more fun than they were on their last season of CHM era Top Gear , and going one step further, I see a completely different Clarkson on from the first 5 episodes of TGT than from the last season of the Clarkson era of TG, he looks and is acting like a guy that is recharged, refreshed if you will.

I genuinely enjoy that they bother to include locally relevant material (like jokes). I had to pause to look up that word (can't even remember it now...) and the history, got the joke, but really glad that they are making it relevant to each locale.

Everything else was great, and really feels like it's hitting its stride.

Only complaint: Richard pretending like the movie set was real. Still got a chuckle though...

Biggest improvement: No nascar driver, though he was much better last episode.

I liked it, gave it my best rating so far. I knew that James was a pretty big fan of Battleship on his phone or tablet. so that was pretty cool. And so on. Yeah, some things could be improved, some of the stuff was over-the-top -- there will probably always be room for improvement, somewhere.