Votes: 41 20.7%

Votes: 15 7.6%

Votes: 9 4.5%

Votes: 4 2.0%

Votes: 8 4.0%

Votes: 2 1.0%

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters
Good show, but come on, the car to bring back is the el camino!!!!

That's the only quibble with Rutledge that I had with this episode. He wanted to take the Roadmaster and cut off the back to make the new El Camino. Why doesn't GM just Americanize some of the Holden super-utes (LHD, engine tweaks for emissions standards, etc.) and brand them as El Caminos? There's still a demand for them here.

The challenge was OK but I never really got the impression Adam is really passionate about cars, too many jokes and boring stories and the concept version looked an awful lot like a CTS-V wagon. The interview should have been so much better (I mean its a legend like Tony Hawk!) but Ross the Intern just does not command attention when he talks. He needs do act like less of a fan boy and more of a presenter. Leno asked him on The Tonight Show if he could have any car and he said a Subaru STI?? :rolleyes: Wow, way to think outside the box and your wallet.

I keep thinking they will start showing some kind of rapporte during the ham fisted banter in the studio but its not getting any better.

The show was ok, but the hosts all seem so whiny and immature. I realize that the UK hosts display immaturity as well, but theirs seems to be in a different class; fun to watch. The US hosts just come across as annoying. Also I don't like seeing them needlessly trash cars.

Effectively a re-hash of Series 10, Episode 07's "Did British Leyland Actually Make a Good Car?" skit (which I am watching now). Not as good, of course, but it had it's moments and I the hosts seem, at least to me, jelling quite well, so I give it a 7.

It makes me extremely happy to see this as the first post...

The whole series has been nothing but flashbacks.

That's the only quibble with Rutledge that I had with this episode. He wanted to take the Roadmaster and cut off the back to make the new El Camino. Why doesn't GM just Americanize some of the Holden super-utes (LHD, engine tweaks for emissions standards, etc.) and brand them as El Caminos? There's still a demand for them here.

Might I direct you to the 1995 Concept car; the Chevrolet El Camino a la Caprice Wagon

4508713846_5eb8db56fe.jpg

I voted a 7. I'd probably have voted higher, but I watched the UK christmas special not long after watching this, and before voting. I know this has been said before but it looks pale in comparison :(

I'll still watch, because it is top gear, but...

Last edited:
its the same people every week voting 1-3 and i post something like this every week. why do you guys keep comming back after you swear your gone for good?

Good episode! I gave it an 8. It almost felt natural instead of uncomfortable and scripted like the first one! Tanner is actually growing on me and becoming less stiff. I had doubts about him hosting based on his SuperCar Showdown appearances but those doubts diminish with every episode.

And to all the people saying they copied...you know it's produced by the same folks right? It's not like there's a whole new crew stealing old ideas...it's the same old crew delivering the same old ideas.

Up a notch for to a solid 8.

Even though many of the stunts were stolen from TGUK they were still pretty funny. The 1 and a half original moments were hilarious. The soda/cupholders was great but I laughed the loudest at the 60% grade attempt. It looked completely off the cuff and unscripted. Although not a real challenge, it lent to the effect of boys.....I mean "children" just having fun.

You know it's produced by the same folks right? It's not like there's a whole new crew stealing old ideas...it's the same old crew delivering the same old ideas.

Is that a good thing? Or did I misunderstand something? Sounds more like a negative thing to me.

And yet....with all the criticism...when the music came up as the Roadmaster started back to Detroit and Rutledge started his closing remarks, something clicked. I don't know what it was, maybe nothing more than a bit of audience manipulation. But that was the first moment in this series that I thought Wilman could have produced ... that Clarkson could have written. And the first series of TGUK back in 2002 didn't have a single one of those!

After four shows of strikes, ground balls to first and the occasional hit, they knocked it out of the park. Well done.

Why not?

Let's look at GM's track record in that area...

Vauxhall
Opel
Geo
Isuzu
Pontiac "GTO"
Pontiac G8

Oh yea, there's a demand for GM's captive imports. :roll:

Don't get me wrong....I'd kill for a new El Camino. Indeed, a new ute-type vehicle based on the Sigma/Zeta platform could really work. Indeed, MT is reporting that this will indeed be the platform for the new Holden Ute. But even now, GM doesn't have a nickel to gamble on something like that. Passenger cars have been ignored for far too long, their redevelopment must come first.

Last edited:
^ Yes! That's exactly what I was thinking! Something just clicked.

Thoroughly enjoyed this episode, and I must say that the American series is growing on me. Could also be due to the fact that I had half a bottle of Yamazaki 12 years while cooking and watching it.

Caveats aside, it was a well written episode. Stuff to improve on are the BSSC (SIARPC) segments. A little too short and kinda tame, given the celebs involved.

Keep it up, TGA!

Last edited:
It's almost there...

IMO they should kick out the SIARPC from TGUK and BSSC from TGUS - it's really not that interesting...

The boys in the US could use the 60 mins they get in the UK now, and the UK boys could use 90 mins... :)

This TGUS episode is a huuuuuge 7... As mentioned in here, the chemistry is starting to form, and not everything is so tight and scripted anymore - which is very, very nice!

I really enjoyed this episode. So what if it was a copy of the BL challenge from TGUK. It had an American twist to it. I'm sure that the 'never happy brigade' would have complained if it was different... 'Why not make it like the BL car challenge'... etc.

My only complaint is the way the studio segments seem cut and copied together. As someone else said, it's like there's someone with a big APPLAUSE sign.

But the presenters are gelling quite well, there's chemistry forming there!

Good solid 8 for me!

I believe the idea was more along the lines of "use the same platform." Basically re-import the damn G8, but offer it as a Chevy or, if it's considered too nice, a Buick. The Platform in Aus is sold as a Ute, Sedan, or a Wagon already.

With exception to styling and towing capacity, the Holden Commodore/wagon/ute do exactly what he wants. The ute can even tow 8300lbs! The Wagon in some variants can do 4300.

God damn it GM bring me the fucking v8 ute! All I ask is it be simple, V8, 6 speed manual, rwd. If they can keep the tow rating above 7000lbs it would be an super awesome a+

God people miss the point. It's ok that they copied the British Leyland-episode from TGUK, but parts of it just ended up beeing pointless and stupid.
Filling the American junk cars with water was just dumb! Kids probably think its funny, but for adults it had no value at all. I bet I lost you already so let me explain:

The test in TGUK did two things:
A) Test how well built the car was. If water rushed out quickly it had pretty bad panel gaps, door seals and so forth.
B) Test the suspension and power of the car. More power and better suspension mean that they could travel further before the water dropped below the steering wheel.

The point of the TGUS water-test was:
A) Look silly on TV. Mission Accomplished!

Seems like Americans like TGUS more when they feature old crap American cars. People rave about the Fiero and the Roadmaster and I can't even begin to grasp why, they are pretty bad at any standard.

Anyways, if you compare TGUS to Top Gear Russia, blunt force trauma and AIDS, I guess it isn't that bad. But compared to Top Gear UK it just falls flat on its face and it's a shame it ends up so bad when they have many years of experience to build on.

And here's the living proof of why Norway is considered the Land of the Troll, coming back to bitch and moan again. Wouldn't be the holiday season without it.

God people miss the point. It's ok that they copied the British Leyland-episode from TGUK, but parts of it just ended up beeing pointless and stupid.
Filling the American junk cars with water was just dumb! Kids probably think its funny, but for adults it had no value at all. I bet I lost you already so let me explain:

A) Test how well built the car was. If water rushed out quickly it had pretty bad panel gaps, door seals and so forth.
B) Test the suspension and power of the car. More power and better suspension mean that they could travel further before the water dropped below the steering wheel.

Seems like Americans like TGUS more when they feature old crap American cars. People rave about the Fiero and the Roadmaster and I can't even begin to grasp why, they are pretty bad at any standard.

Anyways, if you compare TGUS to Top Gear Russia, blunt force trauma and AIDS, I guess it isn't that bad. But compared to Top Gear UK it just falls flat on its face and it's a shame it ends up so bad when they have many years of experience to build on.

FAIL. You didnt get it

And here's the living proof of why Norway is considered the Land of the Troll, coming back to bitch and moan again. Wouldn't be the holiday season without it.

this one is not a troll, just kinda slow if you know what i mean.

People rave about the Fiero and the Roadmaster and I can't even begin to grasp why, they are pretty bad at any standard.
You know this how? I dont recall them selling Fieros in Norway. I cant wait to buy my 3rd Fiero. They so much fun

this is perhaps the dumbest thing i've read...so far.