[01x06] December 23, 2016

[01x06] December 23, 2016

• Total voters
The best episode so far and also my favorite. I was already excited to see the Mustang vs Focus RS bit. It felt a bit forced in some instances (like Clarkson following Hammond everywhere) but the chase scene was great though. And of course the Cenotaph bit pure evil!

Conversation Street was cool apart from the ice cream joke. CBC was meh. Christmas presents were enjoyable in a way until the last 2-3 minutes where they were clearly just dragging it too long (Jeremy falling and Bob-whoever that was: not funny).

But the real cherry on the cake was the Ford GT vs Ferrari film! Absolutely beautifully made with just the right amount of everything. Definitely the best film of this series so far.

The ice cream joke was lame, not edgy nor funny.

Hammond's joke was a reference to a famous Finnish ice cream commercial. TGT writers must have known that only the 100 Finnish people in the tent will get the joke, apparently what no one told writers is that 100 Million viewers world wide will be confused at best, or cringe. Or producers worked in a crude joke, counting on publicity wave, knowing the joke will be covered in press. But this was so out of place, I fail to see how this helps TGT in any way.

Here is the ice cream commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_70w8s9-hU

It was a "joke" that just wasn't funny. Since everyone's pretty much admitted it's all scripted, I don't understand why the writers aren't catching any of the hate. All Hammond did was read the line, however ridiculous it was.

10 from me entirely due to the Ford/Ferrari piece. Thats probably my favorite story from automotive history and it was so excellently done. I fancy myself as someone who knows a lot about that deal, and yet I still learned a lot. Even my girlfriend was sucked into it and very interested despite not being a car person in the slightest.

Also I am properly jealous of James. I'd be happy with a chance to just sit in that GT40, even without driving it. Though I have sat in 2016 GT #68, which is as close as I'll ever get and much closer than most people.