[01x06] December 23, 2016

[01x06] December 23, 2016

• Total voters
This one felt like proper Top Gear. I'd give it 7 up until the christmas present bit, but then the Ford GT film started. 9/10.

The Mustang/RS movie would have been better if they dropped the "host intruding in other hosts' movie" gag, because it is an interesting match up and I'd love to see more of that.

Conversation Street was excellent.

I'm really sad that they "killed" Kimi, because it's one of the few interviews that I'd love to see again.

The Christmas present segment felt like something of old Top Gear news, but then it dragged on for too long. The jumpers and condoms were funny, then the skates and whatever that round thing was mildly amusing but predictable, but then the man in the rolling iPad made it all a complete disaster.

But then... The Ford GT40 movie is one of the finest works of Grand Tour or Top Gear. Excellent narration, great cinematography and genuinely interesting story. I want more of that and less of Top Gear Comedy?. The film was so great that it brought the entire episode to 9/10.

Agreed,

the GT40 film done by May is a masterpiece. If people do not like that film or feel disappointed by it. Good, I do not want those people to watch GT. They are not the audience that GT is seeking. You can call it failed or anything else. I do not care. I love that film, It was the so good. Just for this one film, it is worth the Amazon Prime Price. Brilliant.

I give it a 9

That GT40 film is going into the pantheon of the best top gear films, hands down. Were the christmas presents dumb? sure. Is celebrity brain crash idiotic? of course. But besides that, this episode was good. I even think the candy bars were funny. The other ford film? pretty good as well.

I actually think the candy bar bit was pretty funny, haha; we're seeing the guys really be themselves, without any BBC middling

I voted "8", and agree the GT40/P3 film was excellent. Would have liked it much longer, I think a proper (modern) big-screen version would be quite a draw. The rest of the show was acceptable, I'd put this as the best of the TGT's so far.

Wow, the GT40 film , it doesnt get much better than that, bloody brilliant it was. I enjoyed the rest of the show as well, the tent segments did drag on bit , but I was laughing my ass off for most it.

truly felt like the peak of classic top gear

Loved the mustang v focus (smiled at Hammond slowing down in London to poke fun of the BBC)
The American was less annoying
Conversation street was alright
Celeb brain crash needs to die
the Christmas presents bit was ok bit went on at the end
And the Ford 40 was a masterpiece
A solid 8 from me

James' film was great! The rest of the show wasn't too bad, but nothing more than that. It's a 7 for me. Thanks to James' Film, it's close to an 8.

This .. this was thoroughly enjoyable.

I see with this episode they must have had a wrangler to again get some of the good looking sorts to stand in the front row. We should be able to do the "Most Distracting Audience Member" thread again.

- - - Updated - - -

At 7:55, at the Cenotaph, "Slowing down a bit here; show some respect". Gosh, whatever could he mean? /s.

Last edited:
Mustang vs RS was nice, except for the "Oh no, Jeremy shows up uninvited to ruin my review!". Now where did we see that before :think:

Seriously, could the writers be any lazier?

Tent bit was just sad, a few good jokes, but mostly second grade humour, with Top Gear jokes rehashed, and it draaaaaaaaaaged on for too fucking long.

At least they closed with a great film by James. Without it it would have been a 5, with it it's a 7.

Loved the GT40 piece, and was really happy to see the Christmas gift segment return as I always liked them from TG. The bit with the condoms was the funniest.

What I found remarkable is that they were driving towards the tent in a Fisker Karma, an 986 Boxster and a Saab 9000 (?).

Definitely one of the better ones.
The Christmas segment -- well, it did have the feel of being produced by people who believe themselves to be clever. But it plays to audience interaction with the hosts, and that's a key element to TGUK / TGT's success.
James May's Ford GT piece looked like it was done by the same people who did "Cars of the People" -- I very much wonder if the current TGUK lot are able to produce stuff like that. I mean, Jay Leno, sure, but LeBlanc / the younger boys? Nah.