[01x06] November 3rd, 2008

[01x06] November 3rd, 2008

• Total voters
Should I be pleasantly surprised? And how was the catering on the day? ;)

Huh?:|

I wasn't there. I was asking if stig_MATA was because he thinks he knows how it will go even though it hasn't aired yet.

Yeah , Stiggie comes across as way too emotionally connected with the show to be an independant voice.

And several people on this forum come accross as vultures waiting for the show to fail so that they can pick over its bones and grin while telling everyone who'll listen "I told them this would happen."

Stiggie knows so much about SBS and the TGAU machinations and yet doesnt see any faults at all. Even the basic ones. I'm betting he's a relative or associate of someone on either side of the camera.

Wrong, yet again.

In the spirit of "full disclosure", it would be reasonable Stiggie to point out that you are the administrator of 'The Unofficial Australian TopGear Forum' ... and make money off advertising on that site no doubt?

Now that doesn't mean you are connected to the show in any direct way, but it would appear to be in your interest then if the rock rolls on, no?

In the spirit of "full disclosure", it would be reasonable Stiggie to point out that you are the administrator of 'The Unofficial Australian TopGear Forum' ... and make money off advertising on that site no doubt?

Now that doesn't mean you are connected to the show in any direct way, but it would appear to be in your interest then if the rock rolls on, no?

Also wrong.:rolleyes:

You shouldn't make assumptions like that bolly, you just end up looking foolish. I make no money from the advertising on my site. It is hosted by a free forum-hosting company and they put the advertising on my site. I would have to pay to have it removed. My site, by the way, was around before TGA. It was created as a TGUK forum and would continue just the same if TGA was cancelled.

Also wrong.:rolleyes:

You shouldn't make assumptions like that bolly, you just end up looking foolish.

Stiggie, didn't you notice the "?" in my post? I'm not foolish. I was asking a perfectly reasonable question, no?

Nah, Aussie shit smells vaguely like Vegemite ... whereas Italian shit smells like pasta and American shit smells like a cross between apple pie and hot dogs. ;)

Australian shit also has a high alcohol content. ;)

Stiggie, didn't you notice the "?" in my post? I'm not foolish. I was asking a perfectly reasonable question, no?

I did, yes.

If you read my post you'll find that I didn't say you were foolish, just that you would end up looking foolish if you were trying to make it seem like I have some secret financial motive for not hating TGA as much as some people here are determined to do. By the way, stig_MATA didn't need disclosure of my ownership of another site as he has a member of it since June.

And several people on this forum come accross as vultures waiting for the show to fail so that they can pick over its bones and grin while telling everyone who'll listen "I told them this would happen."
I do really want TGA to succeed, because it's good for the entire industry; both car and film.

But if they keep heading down the same head track I know for a fact there's a a dead-end sign at the end, and a cliff.

Exactly because the UK guys have done car VS miltary 4 times. Give it a rest, its been done time and time again !!
Honestly, there must be other things to do with a car rather than copy the UK shows ideas.
Maybe theres :rolleyes:absolutely nothing on earth left to do:rolleyes: even in a big brown land like Australia because the UK guys have done it all and nothing else could possibly be as entertaining as copying them. Yawn...
Or maybe TGAU needs rebadging to say its a lame copy of the UK version.

And its likely to suck because its been done before and the standards will be so high it will be compared as it always is.
Its a no-brainer, even if its great, it'll still be less, because its a copy.
What are they thinking !!

I believe that this sums up your entire argument.

I believe that this sums up your entire argument.

Thanks for the link Wildy, I never heard of tropes before so I will be pin-balling through that whole site to learn more.

I dont like that AU is hoping to be original and yet they constantly copy UK, theres already so much that is an exact replica (set, presenters, jokes, segments and I do remember that its a franchise.)

But to do such similar setups is to invite comparison isnt it ?
And if they dont absolutely kill it X10 over the UK's version of the same thing, then why did they do it at all ...?
It was fraught with peril from the start.
Better to do something original and set the standard.

Does everyone think they should continue to redo old UK ideas ?

If the producers read this forum then now is the time to speak up before they redo the 1/2 car 1/2 boat thing again.

Last edited:
Now I'm really offended. Glenn Ridge! FFS. OK my post was a little harsh. Upon reflection there is only ONE significant thing wrong with the show: what comes out of the presenter's mouths. It makes my ears hurt and I have to turn the sound off, which kind of defeats 50% of the purpose of television.

I'm pretty sure you're talking out your arse, nobody in their right mind would watch a television show with the sound off instead of any other activity at the time.

Unless they're deaf.

I'm so confused about the What Were They Thinking board.
"Elan is [some language] for beauty. What were they thinking!?"
I was like wtf, that makes no sense whatsoever.

Can someone explain if they get it!?

It was actually put on the board because instead of being based on the original Lotus Elan, it was based on the Mazda's take on the Elan.

Cox still needs to be shot, but that was pretty decent actually. Cinematography is lovely, but again the segments are still too light on for technical details. I like how Warren is taking the lead more, though What Were They Thinking only needs one all-in-with-the-crowd "What Were They Thinking".

I watched TGau yesterday and it was "ok" gave it a 7.
Tonight (tue) I watched TGuk and it was hillarious, more comedy that anything else but that's where the ratings are, my wife and kids will all come away from their work/pc's and sit around and have a massive laugh..
Still, that's uk and Jeremy's mix

The AU show:
Can't say there was very much wrong with the show (new one for me)
I don't get the "in" jokes, nice if you're in the in crowd but it's just a waste of airspace for most people.

The Stig announcements I tune right out, too long, too lame/whatever (see the in-jokes), should just be a quick one liner nonsense, not some try hard attempt at .. ??

-star was ok, I actualy watched it for once, I don't think cox was bad on it either.

-4wd bit, hm, people are saying "they said lots about the cars" but I can't remember much more than a camera and dust which is due to the lack of "In .. the ... WORLD" enthusiasm.
(see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMuO-8S_0Wg )
Would have liked to see more challenges but at 150 grand you can't expect too much.

-car review? it's tuesday and I can't even remember which car they did, beemer was it? non inspiring which sucks cause that's where the trade will want some better results.

rant:
-Steve's 9-3 driving is the so called professional shuffle position which to me is the most stupid way to drive. Ergonomics dictate that you will tire much quicker, your muscles aren't in a position to have even half as much "torque" available in your arms/elbows, your response to a fast corner is never going to be as quick as a 10-2 solid grip which also ensures you are more alert as the 9-3 induces lazyness (some idiot politicians want us to do the 4-8 grip which shows politicians for what they are) it'll cause more accidents then anything else.
A race car has a steering quickener gearbox which give a 30% or so faster response (i.e. you turn less for a sharper corner) which is why that does allow you to drive more 9-3, but with normal driving you will either need to shuffle (stupid stupid as you have a lot less grip on the wheel at ANY time) or you end up with one lame arm doing next to nothing, a LOT less grip and a LOT more work for a LOT less precision)

Your wrist position at 9-3 cancel each other out at any corner, it's a total push/pull method where both have less that adequate grip whereas at 10-2 at least ONE has a full grip on the steeringwheel while the other is redundant and can take over that grip if the corner requires a sharper turn.

Last edited:
Oh dear. Hate to be a curmudgeon, but I gave it a 6/10.

Nothing happened. They just drove the cars. There was NO drama. NO story.

Okay, for the sake of support I'll try to be positive, so here's the bits I liked.

-Warren taking a dump.
-Height control on the Rangie
-James Morrison COULD be a presenter. (Take 1 Cartoonist, 1 Musician, and add Dancer Paul Mercurio....)
-A conclusion!! Hurrah!
-A car failure (dust) Hurrah!
-And I liked the tractor bit from last week.

I've also surmised the problem with Cox is that he is "Read, not Said". He can't deliver a script.

Hands up who's coming back next year? Keep them in your pocket Charlie...

AMEN! thank you

i gave it a 7/10 because i know it will get better when they get rid of cox.

did anyone else notice the better overall presentation? i liked some of the new track camera angles they used with the exception of the "across the line" angle, i couldnt see the flags.

overall, alot more entertaining, it is looking UP!!!

I enjoyed it as much as the first episode of TG UK, and i am giving it a 9/10. Just.

I think the first episodes were a bit poor, but this one is easily their best one and I think it was brilliant.
The 4WD challenge was very entertaining, beautiful shots of the countryside and a very good offroad bit at the end. Seeing Warren take a dump in the background was priceless and i laughed so hard I nearly fell of my chair :tvhappy:. I also thought it was great to see them driving along, a little bit like TG UK with the cheap Porsche challenge. I don't think there has to be Action all the time.

WWTT was ok this time, but I really like the idea and the fact that it's something new.

SL63 just sounds great, I'd love to have one and live in a tunnel...

9/10 from me too, the first time I have rated any episode that highly. As Professor Higgins might have said, "By Jove, I think they've got it!"

The show is not perfect - WWTT was a bit bonkers this week, and Charlie isn't at his strongest in the studio (the suggestion that Charlie and Wazza swap roles is a good one, I think, because Warren is clearly more comfortable working from a studio script but I do think the three of them are starting to gel in the less heavily scripted segments and it would be a shame to have to rebuild the team - though admittedly it worked in TGUK!), but the good far outweighed the bad for me. The News was laugh-out-loud funny and I really enjoyed the 4x4 film as their first attempt at an "epic" road trip. The studio links are working better for me, overall, and I do think Charlie is finding his feet outside of the SIABSC segment - it's just that perhaps he wasn't put in the right niche in the team to begin with, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a shift in the team dynamic next season. I get the feeling we're starting to see a bit more of their personalities now, rather than "on TGUK there's a stubborn, shouty one, a small energetic one and a slightly eccentric one, so that's what you must be too".

Despite the flaws, it just felt more TG to me this week. I hope the improvement holds up for the rest of the series. I know other people may not feel the same, but as I said last week, TGAu entertains me, and that's why I watch it :)

Last edited:
Best of the series so far.

Warren is really starting to show some personality - with the siren wake up call and the dump - he's looking like the best of the crew.

Charlie - Stop trying to Jezzer - it ain't gonna work. Grow a personality.

Steve - James May in a Richard Hammond body. But without the bitter sense of humour.

Overall, still would give it a 9/10 - the Outback trip was a classic.

As a show on it's own, I think it's starting to find it's own legs. Hope that next year, they can keep getting more out of the roles they think they have and be themselves.

Z

It's getting better and better. Visuals are pretty bloody good now. They still need to review the cars! Tell us your impressions, tell us how it drives! Not just a few bits here and there like an afterthought, more! Otherwise it'll turn into a infomercial. The SL63 felt like that... there needs to be more reviewing of the car. What do you like? Most importantly, what pisses you off? That's what Top Gear is all about at the bare basics.

But nice to see how much better they've gotten at filming the track. Sounds like they've listened to me, haha. Placed some cameras close to the corners and they now cut to inside the car at corners to show the feeling of speed. Really hard to get that from half way across the air field!

Next week should be pretty good.