[01x06] November 3rd, 2008

[01x06] November 3rd, 2008

• Total voters
they drove in straight lines for days on nice dirt roads!

:rofl:

Clearly you've never been to Australia before. The dirt roads in the Outback are anything but nice. Granted, the roads TGA went on weren't the worst (you'd need to travel west of Alice Springs to hit those), but even the roads chosen by TGA are no picnic.

maybe its just that the holden v ford episode felt so lame and underdone, with no lap or barely any mention of performance statistics.

I don't think it's a question of the quality of the review - I think you'll find most fans & viewers don't want to see all that much coverage of Red vs Blue. I'm a big supporter of the Falcon & Commodore, but I don't need to see several comparisons / features on them in each series of TGAu - they already get plenty of coverage in the mainstream motoring media.

I was pretty happy with that episode. I watched it & then followed up with TGUK 12x01. It stood up fairly well. The SIABSC interview is too long though. Clarkson's interview with Parky was as long if not longer, but it didn't feel like it was.

all we need now is a big cheap car challage and i'll be satisfied with season 1

SA doesn't require a roadworthy. You could do a $500 challenge here pretty easy.

The thing is, it's not actually hard to think up a workable challenge. Here we go, on the fly.

$500 Vehicle Challenge - South Australia
Steve - Something 'sporty' - 120 Coupe
Cox - Something 'plush' - XD Fairlane
Wazza - Something 'stupid' - Honda CT110 Postie Bike

Challenge 1 - School Run - Get 3 kids to school. Squashy in the 120Y, comfy in the XD, 4-up on the Postie, or 4 trips.
Challenge 2 - Shopping Run - Do the weekly shopping. Steve has to buy 'squash'.
Challenge 3 - Weekend Drive through the hills- Classic Adelaide Course. The 120Y wallows. XD breaks down. Postie wins.
Challenge 4 - Workday Commute - Wazz zips through the traffic, the XD boils.
Challenge 5 - Cost of ownership - Fuel, Rego, Insurance.
Challenge 6 - Resale. - Squash the 120Y - Wazza delivers Pizzas.
Challenge Last - Weather Challenge - Steve walking, Wazza riding, Cox dry.

That took 5 minutes.

Last edited:
SA doesn't require a roadworthy. You could do a $500 challenge here pretty easy.

The thing is, it's not actually hard to think up a workable challenge. Here we go, on the fly.

Challenge 1 - School Run - Get 3 kids to school. Squashy in the 120Y, comfy in the XD, 4-up on the Postie, or 4 trips.
Challenge 2 - Shopping Run - Do the weekly shopping.
Challenge 3 - Weekend Drive through the hills- Classic Adelaide Course. The 120Y wallows. XD breaks down. Postie wins.

That took 5 minutes.

I'm wondering if IcedVovo sent in an audition tape...maybe he could replace Charlie ;)

Challenge 2 - Shopping Run - Do the weekly shopping. Steve has to buy 'squash'.

That took 5 minutes.

But in that the car would lose, not a proposition that you want on TG. Although since none of the presenters have an unnatural aversion to bikes in general, it could work :)

:rofl:

Clearly you've never been to Australia before. The dirt roads in the Outback are anything but nice. Granted, the roads TGA went on weren't the worst (you'd need to travel west of Alice Springs to hit those), but even the roads chosen by TGA are no picnic.

Well if they are rough (and im not arguing that they aren't, I unfortunately have not been there) then they need to show that. They gave me no reason to think otherwise. Get some footage of them climbing dunes/mountains/big pot holes/ anything other than soft smooth dirt they showed

But in that the car would lose, not a proposition that you want on TG. Although since none of the presenters have an unnatural aversion to bikes in general, it could work :)

I can make whomever I want to win. :)

See edit - I added a final challenge. So the bike would lose in School, Shopping and Weather.

I'm wondering if IcedVovo sent in an audition tape...maybe he could replace Charlie ;)

I thought about it, and then pre-culled myself as undirectable.

;)

(And I'm too much like Wazza)

Last edited:
Okay, here's another.

Variety Club Bash Car
The Bash is very uniquely Australian, so why not highlight it?

The fellas have to create their own unique Bash Car and the best one will go on the Bash.

Steve - Something sporty - low something that gets bogged
Cox - Something plush - stretch 'something' with spa that breaks in half
Wazza - Something stupid - Driveable Airport Staircase called "Stairway to Heaven"

yada yada....

they drove in straight lines for days on nice dirt roads! of course nothing more than dirt in the interior is going to happen.

Well in the TGA mag they took a R8 out west into some of the worse roads around with many country folk actually amazed that the car made it as far as it did, and no mention of dust inside the cabin. Dirt inside is more or less poor build quality but then again the Aussie dust is pretty fine, so i dunno, didn't look like the others had that problem.

Um, I hate to be the one to ask.

*buckles flame-proof dacks*

Why do we ACTUALLY need an Aussie Top Gear?
Did anyone ACTUALLY ask for it in the first place?

Seriously, I wouldn't miss it if it went.

EDIT: Nor would Australia by the look. The reality is that Shannons and Castrol won't support a program that brings in half the viewers. Ratings will be the eventual death of TGA.

Top_gear_australia_tv_ratings.png

You seem to have left out that TGA's ratings went up by 218,000 viewers last night. :rolleyes:

You seem to have left out that TGA's ratings went up by 218,000 viewers last night. :rolleyes:

Wiki doesn't have that info. Where did you read that?

EDIT: Found it. So that gives TGA an average of around 550,000. Not viable at this stage, especially when SBS can get a reliable 900k from TGUK.

From TVTonight.com.au

MondayNovember 3:

1. Seven News Seven 1.371
2. CSI: Crime Scene Investigation Nine 1.318
3. Two and a Half Men Nine 1.265
4. Today Tonight Seven 1.248
5. A Current Affair Nine 1.202
6. Home and Away Seven 1.198
7. City Homicide Seven 1.167
8. Nine News Nine 1.148
9. ABC News ABC 1.132
10. Til Death Nine 1.032
11. Bones Seven 1.002
12. The Rich List Seven 0.966m
13. Australian Idol TEN 0.965m
14. Australian Story ABC 0.950m
15. The 7:30 Report ABC 0.934m
Cold Case 0.832m
Good News Week 0.826m
Four Corners 0.794m
Deal or No Deal 0.698m
Top Gear Australia 0.653m
Will and Grace 0.610m
Supernatural 0.581m
Antiques Roadshow 0.515m
Sunrise 0.413m
Today 0.257m
The Morning Show 0.202m
Mornings with Kerri-Anne 0.128m
9AM with David and Kim 0.078m

Last edited:
So that gives TGA an average of around 550,000. Not viable at this stage, especially when SBS can get a reliable 900k from TGUK.

I've been very dubious as to whether the second series would actually materialise, but I think last night's figure (as long as it doesn't drop right back off in the last 2 eps) is enough to get it over the line. They're only making 14-16 eps of TGUK over a year, so it's not like TGA has replaced it - it's simply filling the hole & 2/3 of TGUKs ratings is good enough for that job.

They're only making 14-16 eps of TGUK over a year, so it's not like TGA has replaced it - it's simply filling the hole & 2/3 of TGUKs ratings is good enough for that job.

People don't seem to realise that.

IcedVovo just said "So that gives TGA an average of around 550,000. Not viable at this stage, especially when SBS can get a reliable 900k from TGUK." bit they can't keep getting 900K from TGUK if they show 38 weeks worth of repeats each year.

I can make whomever I want to win. :)

See edit - I added a final challenge. So the bike would lose in School, Shopping and Weather.

Unless it was held in India *laughs*

Re:Blink, if viewers figures can go up by 218K from last weeks Ep.., then these figures reflect how compelling the show needs to be, minute by minute, segment by segment, in order to get good ratings.

And also how fickle the viewers are..( ooh'..! you're such a pack of bitches ....)
...either they watch it to the end or they tune out midway because its boring....

If viewers dont like what they see, then they switch, but apparrently , they liked what they saw last night.
And I liked it too.

But , in the end...its a week by week proposition,, if they screw the next Ep then it'll probably have a truly profound effect on the ratings long term. Viewers will come back a couple of times to test the waters in the early days of a new show, but if it stinks too often, they will just go to elsewhere / cable / PayTV / CD / satellite / bed.
TGAU has ' tanked' it so far, but it did have a good one last night, so they (the producers) need to capitalise on their current momentum.

I'm betting the editors are today getting a workout, meticulously trolling over the tapes to put together next weeks Episode in the hope of replicating the magic of last nights show, or more likely re-editing the crap they thought would be good months ago into something slightly better.

Soon enough they will realise that Less Cox = More Ratings.
Or they'll all be unemployed.

Funny how "experts" know it ALL, especially when it comes to banking,( global financial crisis)
politics,( Iguana-gate among other screwups )
and media, (TGAU).
But they still get massive pay and eventual monolithic payouts for getting it wrong....

Stupidly, in my own business, I studiously listen to my clients, follow their directives and endeavour to honestly make their life better through my work.

Thats probably my main fault. Along with independant thinking.

GO TGAU, headlong into acclaim or the abyss !!