[01x06] November 3rd, 2008

[01x06] November 3rd, 2008

• Total voters
And a new thread for those with a bit of imagination and willing to share their new ideas for the show will be great too.

As much as I do like the sentiment, I'd be hesitant to post there, it seems that these ideas are the currency of TG success. Maybe too valuable to leave out in the open.

:)

Youd think one of the first things theyd do before the show even went into production would be to give the public a chance to offer suggestions about segments and presenters etc..
Its a great Public Relations exercise beause it makes the producers look interested in what the public has to say, even if they get a whole bunch of crap ideas.
But secondly, in amongst all the crap theres always some gems.

Hnag on to your ideas VOVO, there will be another commercial station that will pick up the TG franchise once SBS strangles this current effort into a grave.

Youd think one of the first things theyd do before the show even went into production would be to give the public a chance to offer suggestions about segments and presenters etc..

It's all about pride. Simple as that.

;)

Double post. :blush:

Please delete mods.

Last edited:
Stiggie, what a dopey think to say....

Not really. I tread that they had a list of over 2,000 challenges to choose from when they started planning series 1.

if that was true , then what are they going to show on the UK show next week? :p
More car/boat? or another 'race a pushbike' challenge ?

Maybe, they've already done car vs bike on TGUK three times. They obviously don't have a problem with repeating themselves. As for the "car/boat", they've done that twice too.

And are the AU guys just going to rehash the UK ideas because you say theres nothing new?

I didn't say there is nothing new. I said that the chances of anyone randomly coming up with something that they have thought of (on there 2,000 idea list) is very unlikely. Even on various forums and from friends I've heard countless ideas for challenges.

And a new thread for those with a bit of imagination and willing to share their new ideas for the show will be great too.

Well go on, you know where the new topic button is. Start one. I'd be interested in hearing what your original ideas are. I'll let you know if you post one I haven't heard before.

Youd think one of the first things theyd do before the show even went into production would be to give the public a chance to offer suggestions about segments and presenters etc.

You don't pay attention do you stig_MATA. They did exactly that. They even gave away a lap with the Stig as a prize for the best one.

Maybe, they've already done car vs bike on TGUK three times. They obviously don't have a problem with repeating themselves. As for the "car/boat", they've done that twice too.
But the UK show does it brilliantly, time and time again, always entertaining, always cutting edge television.....
as oppossed to doing it poorly like the AU show does. And they rooted a well tested opportunity first go. !

I didn't say there is nothing new. I said that the chances of anyone randomly coming up with something that they have thought of (on there 2,000 idea list) is very unlikely. Even on various forums and from friends I've heard countless ideas for challenges.

Thats like saying there'll never be anything new to sing,
or write,
or say.
Imagination is not limited by a number.

Well go on, you know where the new topic button is. Start one. I'd be interested in hearing what your original ideas are. I'll let you know if you post one I haven't heard before.

Yup, I'll be sure to make a huge effort, just for you.:p

You don't pay attention do you stig_MATA. They did exactly that. They even gave away a lap with the Stig as a prize for the best one.

I dont know everything about TG because I have a life outside of TG.
Pissing you off is just my hobby.

But keep on nitpicking at everyone Stiggie, its a great way to polish your people skills. !!

ok i'm really upset with the how they showed off the lexus, they missed many many features of the lexus

i.e. crawl control, push a button and the truck will crawl over the rocks itself (afterall its just a land cruiser with more luxuries)

something was definately wrong with the filtration as my gf's is250 awd has filtration, never would we see dust or smells

something was definately wrong with the filtration as my gf's is250 awd has filtration, never would we see dust or smells

An IS250 AWD and LX570 are two totally different beasts, and would have been silly to use in this comparison unless the other cars were a Subaru Liberty (Legacy) and an Audi A4 Quattro or something. It's a moot point anyway, as the IS250 AWD isn't sold in Australia. ;)

Nothing is wrong with the filtration, the dust that penetrated the Lexus is known as bulldust, the particles of which are microscopic in comparison to anything you would see in canada.

Bulldust is just as bad perhaps even worse than the sand soldiers military vehicles have to put up with in Iraq as far as ability to penetrate seals is concerned (its not as abrasive though)

Perhaps the Lexus was not designed or tested for harsh desert conditions?

Perhaps the Lexus was not designed or tested for harsh desert conditions?

I find it really odd that the dust got into the Lexus given that really it's just a luxo LandCruiser, which surely would be made to cope with conditions like that.

I find it really odd that the dust got into the Lexus given that really it's just a luxo LandCruiser, which surely would be made to cope with conditions like that.

You'd think that but our prado had the exact same issue (probalby worse than our pajero did)

The 4WD segment was decent. The first portion was pretty boring as it just featured them driving across flat land and you could tell they were bored with Warren talking about his two finger salute, the position of his hands on the wheel, and Charlie talking about how SUVs are for drooling brutes. Their boredom just translated to me being bored as well. The segment where they park the vehicles using the cameras could have been done much better. The cheap plastic animals laid out haphazardly in a clearing smacked of a lack of creativity and a low budget, which the production values indicate isn't the case. This whole segment seemed like a whole lot of filler just to get to a tiny segment of actual off roading. It wasn't worth it in my opinion.

The SL63 review came too soon I think. TGUK does a good job of spacing out the reviews so you don't get too many reviews from the same manufacturer in consecutive episodes. Reviewing the Black and then the SL63 so soon felt almost like they were reviewing the same car. It would have been better to review the two at the same time and do a comparison.

Warren is a good narrator but he never seems to put any passion or excitement into his narration. It seems more like a job for him than a passion and as a show designed to cater to petrol heads I would think that they should know that in order to get us excited about something the presenters need to be excited as well. I feel like Warren would be better suited for narrating nature documentaries or something of that sort. He also goes way overboard with the WWTT segment. If it were possible I'd put the WWTT board ON THE WWTT BOARD!

I think the real reason that TGUK is so successful is that Clarkson is a journalist first and foremost and that requires him to be the wordsmith that he is. When Clarkson makes things up as he goes along it just works. This is why Warren does a pretty good job as the narrator (he is a motoring journalist). When Charlie makes things up as he goes along the creativity just isn't there. When he does say something that's creative it's clear that it came from a script as the delivery seems cringingly forced. Steve is alright but it seems that his reviews are a bit too clinical as he spends too much time talking about the specs of the car. He and Charlie also seem to spend most of the time talking about how the CAR feels instead of how the car makes the DRIVER feel which is what I think the major difference between TGUK and TGA is.