[01x07] November 10th, 2008

[01x07] November 10th, 2008

• Total voters
I'm sure it'll be along eventually.

Of course the production crew, the writers and the hosts will need some time to get the hang of things. We can't compare a show that's brand new to one that's been around for a decade. That just wouldn't be fair.

Give them some time, it'll be superb!

(I do wish they'd do something to introduce the hosts to the audience a bit. I've no idea what sort of people they are. And fewer of "pointless challenges" that are done not to review something, but just to be a challenge. Like that old car thing they did.)

Which makes me upset :( lol.

Which makes me wonder why. I was all set to give it another look.

Could it be that after 7 episodes noone can be bothered? Have the people who were doing it given up on the show?

Maybe a techno glitch?

Or how about getting some decent on screen talent ??

"snip"

Break out the real talent if there is any in this country.
Any of the 3 UK guys seem like they could entertain a room of people at a party. Theyre opinionated and importantly, complete men. They know who they are and arent afraid to say and do what they believe, or the opposite for a laugh. Each one would be a great person to chat with for an hour or two.

Now look at the 3 Au guys and what have we got to choose from there ??
If you met them 2 years ago at a BBQ which one would you listen to for an hour?
Ego-Man ?
The slightly creepy little one,
or maybe the one who owns a fire engine? ((wow))
Its a tough ask because youre trying to pick the least annoying one.

On air they have no opinion, no individual identity, no professionalism, no personality, no presence and it cant all be the producers fault for telling them what to say all the time.
I havent heard anyone say (of the presenters) ....that any one of them is great.
Sometimes good, getting better, mildly amusing etc...but theres no fan club web site set up for Cox now is there?

Its not a fuckin school holiday Drama Camp for shy kiddies, pull your fingers out and DO something to entertain us if you can.. Maybe in the off-season go and get acting lessons for a start. Or just copy someone who has talent.

The 3 of them just cant cut it on TV, and ugly guys on TV usually need to be more gifted,charming and talented. Whats keeping you 3 employed ??

Unbelieveably,these hollow-men are meant to be professional presenters and the 3 Aussies arent equal to one English guy.
People dont come back to a show for the camera angles, we need confident people with passion and personality to front TGAU and give it a strong presence.

Man, this will be the second time I quote you, you got it right in one, there's no charisma, no warm fuzzy feeling, no sense of direction, no bubbly or x-factor, and above it all not one grain of passion for ANY car other than their dad's Belmont which was a crock of .. in it's day.
Cox at my barbie I'd walk away with eye balls rolling , too full of himself, Steve I'd listen for a minute and think "how's my hamburger coming along" while Warren I think Warren would be busy trying to barbeque a can or two, my son says he hates him.. go figure, says he's too "gay".
That however is the bit that makes aussie guys cringe, you got to be a tough bloke and don't let your feelings show.
They're lacking that openess of the europeans, the minority complex of most aussie blokes is holding them back too, "can't let my guard down too much, I can't let them make fun of me or see my vulnerabillity so I'll do the tough guy put downs and the slang to show I'm one of them".

It's stupid and unfortunately it's the aussie way, (I'd know, I lived in Europe for half my life and if a conversation or a joke goes a bit beyond the standard boring one liners you get looked at as if your weird).

And again.. TGau was bought when there were ONE HUNDRED AND TWO or so episodes of uk material available to check what made them hit the winning formula and right from episode one it was cringe factor with Cox, Steve not finding his feet and Warren trying to triple up on humor which just doesn't work alone which made him look like a tryhard idiot (because the others just can't bring themselves to get down to his level)..

I'll get this episode tonight only as I want to see the best car in the world (quality for money, speed for money, tech for money) but I'll probably keep the sound off so I can enjoy the "ride". but that'll be it for me, maybe in a year or two if they're still around they get the clue about what it takes to be very very "ENTERTAINING" and somewhat informative at the same time.

First, they're using the Stig as a crutch. The Stig doesn't make things funny/good, Clarkson building the Stig up make the Stig great.

Secondly, they have to edit a bit more. Besides being a rehash of TopGear UK AND 5th gear, the helicopter bit went on too long. Flog the STi against a Evo and see which one gets nailed first. The fuel economy bit was plain dumb. TGUK would have made it funnier, 5th Gear would have made it more factual. They failed on both counts.

The show is approaching train wreck status.

I think this episode was not as well as it could be. And next week Holden vs Ford (AGAIN)!! What's the point they done that already. I really Ask myself if it's worth the 700MB download. :mad:

Last edited:
The fuel economy bit was plain dumb. TGUK would have made it funnier, 5th Gear would have made it more factual. They failed on both counts.

TGUK did it in 03x01 - it's where Clarkson bought The Golden Cock. It was an average piece at best, even by Series 3 standards, but still funnier than TGAU's take on the same thing.

great episode. It is now starting to move out of the initial stage, and it seems more natural. the GTR review was superb.

Or how about getting some decent on screen talent ??

The camera work on the GTR segment was great, in fact it made the rest of the show look bad because it was the best thing in the episode.

I cant get over the talent,or lack of, on the show, or all AU shows, its like there a gene missing in Australian TV hosts where they are all cardboard,unfunny,lacking in testicular fortitude, gormless PC twits.
Based on longevity, the most popular would be Bert Newton and Rove, and they both share the same lame gay humour, pull silly faces and do little dances in an effort to entertain.
Its just shameful thay someone pays them money for that crap year after year...

Break out the real talent if there is any in this country.
Any of the 3 UK guys seem like they could entertain a room of people at a party. Theyre opinionated and importantly, complete men. They know who they are and arent afraid to say and do what they believe, or the opposite for a laugh. Each one would be a great person to chat with for an hour or two.

Now look at the 3 Au guys and what have we got to choose from there ??
If you met them 2 years ago at a BBQ which one would you listen to for an hour?
Ego-Man ?
The slightly creepy little one,
or maybe the one who owns a fire engine? ((wow))
Its a tough ask because youre trying to pick the least annoying one.

On air they have no opinion, no individual identity, no professionalism, no personality, no presence and it cant all be the producers fault for telling them what to say all the time.
I havent heard anyone say (of the presenters) ....that any one of them is great.
Sometimes good, getting better, mildly amusing etc...but theres no fan club web site set up for Cox now is there?

Its not a fuckin school holiday Drama Camp for shy kiddies, pull your fingers out and DO something to entertain us if you can.. Maybe in the off-season go and get acting lessons for a start. Or just copy someone who has talent.

The 3 of them just cant cut it on TV, and ugly guys on TV usually need to be more gifted,charming and talented. Whats keeping you 3 employed ??

Unbelieveably,these hollow-men are meant to be professional presenters and the 3 Aussies arent equal to one English guy.
People dont come back to a show for the camera angles, we need confident people with passion and personality to front TGAU and give it a strong presence.

I think the biggest problem is that they have hired according to driving skills instead of journalism skills. May, Hammond & Clarkson are all accomplished journalists with great language/communication skills.

You can teach people how to drive well but you cant teach them how to have a way with words, and this is what they are trying to do with both TGA and TGUSA(which I am betting will have the same problem) and this is why these shows are failing to entertain as well as they should

TG AUS is getting too "Factual" for me to continue to watch. Getting really boring-er every episode. They need to replace hosts with funnier ones. 1/10

I just don't know what to say.

They had 2 segments that I should have loved in this episode. The helicopter bit and the fuel economy and I was bored to the point of I kept thinking of other things to do. If TGUK had done those two things, I not only would have been glued to the screen, but would have immediatly rewatched it.

The 3 guys are probably nice guys but they are horrible with the job they have been given if they can not hold my interest with a fast car and a helicopter this show is just not for me.

And what was Charlie thinking to let the guest stars commentate on the laps. I would take either one of them over Charlie in a heartbeat.

Another thing I noticed is the music is just dreary. Like elevator music. I really started to realized how TGUK can make even a dull segment more exciting with the music.

When you take a dull segment, add in even duller music, and unlikeable host, I just can't see it continuing.

In any event, I will wait and try it again if there is a season two, because up to this point, this show is just wasting my time.

Forgot 4/10 for the guest only.

Ignoring, if possible, TGUK, this show is getting better and better every show. TGUK, when reborn into it's current format, sucked at first.

It's growing on me. While they are trying to follow TGUK for the people, their personalities are showing up a lot different, and I like it.

I'll give it a 9.

Z

I knew I was going to regret going against my word since I told myself I was no longer going to watch it and well... I should have just stuck to Judge Judy or whatever garbage is on.

It's amazing how bad this show is. It was on while I was cooking dinner and watching the chicken cook was more interesting

Downloaded it as I missed it.

GTR is a great car so why the ... didn't they put that unlimited one round the track while they had it?
I see professional admiration from Steve but no emotion or passion, just detached professionalism which just isn't the top gear way..

Porsche? Sure great car, probably one of the best but they should design something new (not that 4wd ugly hybrid looking thing either, even there they "couldn't be bothered" as TGuk says. Where's the 944's or the 928's where they actualy tried do something different.

^ It bothers me as well, that the gray GT-R that went around the track was "speed limited", but the gray GT-R they tested wasn't. There can't be too many of them in the country at the moment. :hmm:

As for Porsche, they are working on a new car at the moment ... the Panamera (a 4 door sports sedan) ... unfortunately, from the photos of the test mules it looks like a squashed Cayenne:

Panamera%203.jpg

I gave it a six, I liked the Sti bit but the way it was set up was that after it raced the helicopter there was going to be a final decision of it was good or not and there wasn't.

As for the Holden v Ford thing, stop bagging it out. These are the only cars we will see on the show that TGUK won't cover so be thankfull and it's not always the same. Last time they were top end sports cars, next week looks like the basic models, the models that you or I are more likely to purchase.....

If people don't like the show, don't watch and let the rest of us enjoy it.

If we all take your advice it won't be there very long for you to watch.

Us whingers are doing you a favour. ;)

:)

That will not be a problem for me. I gave it more than a fair chance because I love TGUK so much. Otherwise I would have never watched past the second time. I have seen 5 episodes having just watched 7. I can't imagine I would have been any more thrilled with 5 and 6 that I missed.

I keep seeing people saying season 1 of UKTG was crap too. Well, while it is true they were not what they have become, at least the host were likeable and did not make me feel like I had ants crawling on me.

I keep seeing people saying they like Warren. I might would too if he did not creep me out with that satinic looking hair on his face he seems to like. But he is not near good enough to carry the whole show dragging those other two along.

I might even sort of like the little one if he did not shout everything. Too grating on the ears.

For those of you that like it, I really really hope it has a good long run. If they get a season 2, I might give it another look. Until then, I'm done.

Nobody's stopping YOU from watching it and enjoying the show, but this is a forum where people come to discuss it. If you don't like that, maybe you shouldn't log on here?

I keep seeing people saying they like Warren. I might would too if he did not creep me out with that satinic looking hair on his face he seems to like. But he is not near good enough to carry the whole show dragging those other two along.

I like Warren too but its only because he's slightly more engaging than the other two sandstone blocks.

I might even sort of like the little one if he did not shout everything. Too grating on the ears.

For those of you that like it, I really really hope it has a good long run. If they get a season 2, I might give it another look. Until then, I'm done.

I think once we all get back in the UK GROOVE in 2 weeks time , then the AU show will seem even less appealing. When Series 2 starts, I'll give it one episode and then Im done too.
Life's too short to wait for them to get their act together.