[01x07] November 10th, 2008

[01x07] November 10th, 2008

• Total voters
Nah. He was first asking if the GT-R was cold and clinical (Which he said it seemed like it on paper). But then he came to the conclusion that it wasn't.

Don't know how you missed that! :lol:

Must have blinked or sneezed or something. ;-)

Many of their reviews often don't feel complete, at least from a conceptual point of view. I think they're still very much learning the art of writing and shooting a review.

I think they're still very much learning the art of writing and shooting a review.

I agree there's something missing, but I don't buy into the 'learning' theory.

Everyone forgets, these aren't graduate film students given their first job, they're all seasoned professionals.

Given their collective experience, and the TGUK template, there's actually no excuses for not getting the basics right from the get-go.

;)

I agree there's something missing, but I don't buy into the 'learning' theory.

Everyone forgets, these aren't graduate film students given their first job, they're all seasoned professionals.

Given their collective experience, and the TGUK template, there's actually no excuses for not getting the basics right from the get-go.

;)

Huh?:blink:

Charlie is a former racing driver and BBC Radio commentator, Steve is an advanced driving instructor and Warren is a cartoonist. Where exactly is their extensive experience in reviewing cars on TV?

I agree there's something missing, but I don't buy into the 'learning' theory. Given their collective experience, and the TGUK template, there's actually no excuses for not getting the basics right from the get-go.

Huh? Charlie is a former racing driver and BBC Radio commentator, Steve is an advanced driving instructor and Warren is a cartoonist. Where exactly is their extensive experience in reviewing cars on TV?

Actually you're both right, and thusly, also both wrong (lol - jk)! There is a template or 'standard' for reviews that intentionally or otherwise has been set in place by TGUK, but the TGA guys appear to be attempting to bring in more of their own personality, rather than be a mere facsimile - rightly so, 'cuz us internet forum types would slate them mercilessly otherwise for being pale imitations of the Real Thing.

Only problem is that, as Stiggie pointed out, they're all just a bit green at it. It's easy to forget that Clarkson has been doing this stuff since the 80s... look at him in early 90s Top Gear... the persona was already well developed way back then. Same with May... the Bentley review in s02e01 was classic May has we know him now, even before the whole Captain Slow/bachelor boy/closet homosexual thing.

It's not just the 'in-car-talking-while-driving-stuff" though, where Steve in particular gets inarticulate and Charlie is really blass?, where the lack of experience shows. It's also the way the voice-to-camera stuff ties in with the voice-over stuff. In TGUK it is seamless and keeps the story constantly moving, and I'd wager it's mostly down to Clarkson and Co having their script, story and concept completely worked out before filming. Their ability to deliver it so that it seems completely natural is a big part of the appeal of the show.

In TGA however, especially with the first few episodes, there were lengthy gaps which could have been used to present some desperately needed factual info. Often the in car stuff comes across as just random thoughts and statements - or wose, 'catch phrases' - which they then try to stitch together into some form of coherent story in post production.. and it hasn't always worked so far.

Huh?:blink:

Charlie is a former racing driver and BBC Radio commentator, Steve is an advanced driving instructor and Warren is a cartoonist. Where exactly is their extensive experience in reviewing cars on TV?

I was wasn't actually rating the presenters, moreso the behind the camera team. (Concept-Script-Shoot-Edit) But as you've mention it, Warren has actually got experience with the Peking to Paris show and has been on his top game from EP01 IMO.

And as I've said, I reckon P2P is a more polished piece of work IMO. (albeit long-form)

TGA needs stories with beginning-middle-end. Until then it will all be very one-dimensional.

Last edited:
Often the in car stuff comes across as just random thoughts and statements - or wose, 'catch phrases' - which they then try to stitch together into some form of coherent story in post production.. and it hasn't always worked so far.

You're right, and that's because the story needed to there in pre-production, and it wasn't.

The editors (bless 'em) have been trying to weave whatever story they can out of the footage they've been given. It's never going to work. It's all just pretty pictures with no substance.

And as I've said, I reckon P2P is a more polished piece of work IMO. (albeit long-form)

I suspect that Wazza would have written much of that himself.

TGA needs stories with beginning-middle-end. Until then it will all be very one-dimensional.

... which is why they need to sack the numpty that writes those scripts! The script writer is making them look bad, especially poor old Steve and his forced ockerisms. That, and they're making Wazza look like a bit of tool with WWTT - which is totally out of character for Waz, as we can see what he's like when he's left to his own devices (i.e. pretty bloody good).

Why would they even consider cutting out the Koenigsegg!? I wanted to see it!

I just noticed the Little Britain reference that Charlie Cox makes when they discuss speed controlled cars on the News section around 9:!3

'Speedo says 70, but it says 60, there's your prosthetic limb pushing hard on the accelerator but the computer says no...'

I laughed cause he said it exactly like David Walliam's character

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOdjCb4LwQY[/YOUTUBE]

fun episode. Great GT-R review, the more I see it, the more I like it :) thumbs up for showing 250kmh+ on the speedo.

The Subaru-heli challenge was very well put together, top quality cinematography there! I loled at the tinfoil hats :)

I still like the quirkiness and the sort of separate character TGA is taking on. There are just a few rough edges in the segments, which could improve. For instance the in the Subaru review, I lack a bit of emotion, and there seem to be some empty spots in the segments, so the segments aren't as fluent as one would have wished.

On the upside, the camerawork around the track has improved. More in-car shots please :).

And the audience is still dead, I don't understand it.. overall solid ep, 7/10 for me.

fun episode. Great GT-R review, the more I see it, the more I like it :) thumbs up for showing 250kmh+ on the speedo.

The Subaru-heli challenge was very well put together, top quality cinematography there! I loled at the tinfoil hats :)

I still like the quirkiness and the sort of separate character TGA is taking on. There are just a few rough edges in the segments, which could improve. For instance the in the Subaru review, I lack a bit of emotion, and there seem to be some empty spots in the segments, so the segments aren't as fluent as one would have wished.

On the upside, the camerawork around the track has improved. More in-car shots please :).

And the audience is still dead, I don't understand it.. overall solid ep, 7/10 for me.

hard to say why, but when i attended the TG USA pilot taping, we spent 7 hrs in a very hot hanger/studio to do the taping for a 45 min long ep, after 3-4 hrs, everyone was tired as hell from being constantly on their feet, and everyone being forced to crowd so close together to fit in the camera shots which made it quite hot and stuff for everyone as well.

Plus every laugh, applause and crowd reaction was rehearsed and redone over and over to look perfect in the final edits and everyone got tired from the lack of spontenaity as well. Ask some ppl who attended the TG UK tapings and they will probably give a similar experience. Anyways being there all day is kind of physically draining, just like the taping for any tv show.

I worked as an extra on a american NBC show ep pilot and we spent about 5 hrs doing the same 10 min segment, mult takes and repeats of the scene with about 10 different camera angles, very tiring and repetitive...