Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Stay on topic please.

Sorry for the late thread. :(

first!

i enjoyed this week's episode. in 8 weeks, this show has come a long way from the first episode. it's kinda a shame that the season will be over soon.

7/10 for me. I thought the intro was a marked improvement over previous efforts. The challenge was pretty good, LA to Vegas is a pretty common drive and it was handled interestingly for the most part. Too short though, less than 300 miles?

Alright, so there are a few problems that came to light in this episode.

1. I desperately hope that this show doesn't become like all the US auto mags and think that everything porsche makes is the bee's knees. the panamera is ugly. deal with it.

2. when in public, you can't run a well-done show and censor anything with words or a face. it looks over-cautious and ugly and distracts from the show.

3. alright Tanner, the power laps are getting tedious because your commentary is ALWAYS the same and the stig simply isn't a character on this show. he's a tool.

and so in this regard i give it a 5.

8/10

Its really becomming a good show like most of us predicted. i think the fact that this one was so good was a reflection of Adam not having much input this week. cant stand him.

anyways, i had fun, Rut is still the best host and Tanner is still a distant second but he is getting better. i agree, he needs a class on commentating though but he is improving. ill keep this one short until i see what others have to say but i liked it. my favorite so far i think.

Last edited:

I think it's pretty obvious where this show is. It's a noticeable step below the original. The average episode here seems to be on par with the worst episodes from season 10 on. Next season it certainly has the possibility to do a little better but its hard to see it being as good as the UK version on any sort of consistent basis. Overall though I thought it was a pretty decent season. The first two episodes weren't great but it certainly improved and leveled out some where between alright and good. I practically put my life on hold Sunday nights when the original comes on but this one its not the worst thing to DVR the show and watch it the next day.

not too shabby, i just see it as getting better and better. i wonder how long this season is, i reckon from adam's comment on this being the last BSSC segment, i assume the next episode is going to be a special closure.

Two more episodes--the Alaska Special, and then a clip show(!) to end the season.

This was a well done episode. It was nice to see Rutledge actually in the car as it was going sideways.

As a gigantic Hunter Thompson fanboy, I have two words in re Tanner quoting from Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas: Projectile. Vomit.

not too shabby, i just see it as getting better and better. i wonder how long this season is, i reckon from adam's comment on this being the last BSSC segment, i assume the next episode is going to be a special closure.

im pretty sure its a 10 show season

As a gigantic Hunter Thompson fanboy, I have two words in re Tanner quoting from Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas: Projectile. Vomit.

did tanner quote the film? what was the quote? i missed it

did tanner quote the film? what was the quote? i missed it

16:26 or so. "I was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert..." The opening line of the book.

Am I just terrible at reading lips, or did they censor the word 'prick' in the line around 39:18?

EDIT: Also, I gave it a 9. This is the best episode so far if you ask me. Probably because it was mostly Tanner.

16:26 or so. "I was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert..." The opening line of the book.

oh, lol, i thought he was just saying that. never read the book. anyways, i can understand why you wouldnt like him saying that because i know how people are about Hunter Thompson.

Alright, so there are a few problems that came to light in this episode.

1. I desperately hope that this show doesn't become like all the US auto mags and think that everything porsche makes is the bee's knees. the panamera is ugly. deal with it.

I actually really liked the Panamera review much better than any of the UK Panamera stuff for exactly that reason. Whenever TGUK talks about the Panamera, you get exactly one bit of information: The three hosts think that its an ugly car. You might agree with it, you might not, but thats just not much information.

Not everything Porsche makes might be the bee's knees - but when you exclude looks, price and usability (though people usually wish for buttons when they get I-Drive, Command or MMI, yet complain about a button/touch combination in the Panamera or Cayenne...) - it might be the best 4 door saloon out there.
Its extremely fast, very maneuverable, has a big amount of space in the trunk and the back and is very luxurious inside. And it really is extremely fast...
Yet everytime TG UK talks about it, you leave just with "Its ugly".

TG US proved that you can actually do a review of that car providing more information than that one fact (even though they share the opinion about its looks and state it several times) and still be entertaining. I like it. Also like the fact that they obviously don't share (or have to share) every opinion of "the mother show" (see also SLS)...

BTW: Anyone else who can watch that Spoiler expand again and again? Just in Case ;)

Reactions: TC
The show is becoming better and better. Rutledge is proving himself to be a great presenter.

Favorite bits:
"...I need Chewbacca riding shotgun."
"...lets me live my destiny as a BMW owner and drive like an absolute -censored-"

At the very least, their writing is making huge strides. I laughed out loud quite a bit at this episode, but I'm not sure how much of that is me forgiving the first-season foibles a little too much.

It has come a long way. I liked all the episodes so far, I just can't wait for next weeks. I still believe that the time slot needs to be extended to be successful in the future. And I know they aren't the UK guys but there needs to be more witty humour.

I liked it. I give it an 8. I have to say that the Vegas race seemed like it was cut short but I think it has to do with the show being just one hour. In any case Ruthledge and Tanner are getting the buddy chemistry higher with every episode. Adam not so much - he is not funny - I think he is not sincere because he is trying too hard. When he doesn't try so hard he is a bit better. I also wonder if the side job with the Stig has to do with time constraints, in that there is barely enough time for the cars.

Two things that I like to point out which I like TG America more than TGUK is that although they are less improvised in their dialogue their car presentations and introductions always have a bit of history which I find very interesting, like today's brief intros into Porsche's and Ferrari's history. In the UK show all of this is pushed away by the presenter's comments which are very funny but sometimes is too much fooling around. I also like that Top gear America is lot more unbiased than TGUK. Have you ever seen JC's said anything bad about a Jaguar or an Aston Martin? Not really, I think TGA can be more fair like what they did with the Panamera which if I had the money will be the car that I would buy.