[01x08] November 17th, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotth_uk

I tried to create a thread in there and didn't have rights, hopefully someone will move this:

Overview of Episode 8:

Star: Claudia Karvan
Feature: What's the best car to drive around Tasmania? Porsche/Lambo/Aston.
Stig Lap: Jaguar's new 4 door
Comparison: Standard Falcon vs Standard Commodore (filmed alternative endings, secret outcome)

Steve's a little bit full of himself but friendly enough - spoke to leads of people, and told plenty of jokes too. Warren is a top bloke, and spoke to me for quite some time before being approached by the "when are you going to review Land Cruisers" brigade. Charlie seems very unpopular and no one was really trying to talk with him. Nice to see he's stopped waving his hands around so much. I don't want to slap him as much now. :)

Last edited:
I tried to create a thread in there and didn't have rights, hopefully someone will move this:

Overview of Episode 8:

These parts sound good, especially the drive around Tassie. Cox in the Lambo, Pizzati in the Porsche and Warren in the Aston?

Comparison: Standard Falcon vs Standard Commodore (filmed alternative endings, secret outcome)
Were the alternatives ones that picked one over the other? Or was one identical to the EP2 conclusion and the other a split with Cox going one way and Pizzati the other?

They probably filmed alternative endings to try and stop the outcome being leaked onto the intertubes. Freehand are acutely aware that spies from the ?tubes are infiltrating TGA tapings ? or, at least I?d like to think we?re that?s the reason for the alternate endings. ;)

Given that 1x07 and 1x08 aren?t due to go out until 10/11 and 17/11 respectively, it should give the editors and post-production plenty of time to weave their magic. The news might be a tad stale, but it?s no more stale than the news you get from a monthly car mag.

Edit: I?m not sure what scotth_uk means by Steve being ?a bit full of himself but friendly enough?. When I chatted to him after 1x04, he seemed very down to earth, like I?d known him for years. I didn?t get a chance to speak with Warren or Charlie, but I did see other people speaking with both of them. I think it?s great that the TGA3 have time to speak with punters after the show, and hopefully they?ll be in a position to remain as accessible from Series 2 onwards.

Last edited:
Cox in the Lambo, Pizzati in the Porsche and Warren in the Aston?

Cox in the 997 Turbo, Pizzati in the Lambo, Warren in the Aston.

Were the alternatives ones that picked one over the other? Or was one identical to the EP2 conclusion and the other a split with Cox going one way and Pizzati the other?

Looked like they were filming an actual decision. I won't say more than that.

Another Holden v Ford segment....hhmmmm :think:

I'm not one of the Falcodore haters. And I do like to see what the Top Gear crew think of them. But I think one Holden v Ford segment is enough per series.

May I ask which models they compare?

Last edited:
Hmm, one Red vs Blue comparison is enough for one series.

Agreed. I hate both of them, and was unhappy to here Warren ask if we wanted a Ute or Wagon comparison as well. At that moment, I threw up a little bit into my mouth.

<snip>
<snip>

This smells a little like TGs "Best driving road in the world" challenge .... could be good :).

I wonder if they chose Claudia Karvan because of her name ..... and I wonder if Frank J Holden will also turn up at some stage as SIABSC??

This will be the finale for S1.

TGA S2 has apparently been greenlit. I don't know when it will start shooting/go to air.

Hmm, one Red vs Blue comparison is enough for one series. And that's coming from a supporter & defender of both vehicles.

Given this is supposed to be a comparison of standard falcodores .. they could at least have added a third standard car to this comparison (some sort of Toyota or Mitsubishi perhaps) to break up the Red V Blue monotony ... they have 3 hosts after all.

What third car could they use?

What large, rear-wheel-drive, 6 cylinder family car for around $36-$38K could they have compared them to?

Last edited:
Would've thought a Toyota Aurion would have been comparable on price, size and popularity ... made in Australia too. Yes it's front-wheel drive, but that would just add a bit of variety and contrast to the comparison.

What third car could they use?

What large, front-wheel-drive, 6 cylinder family car for around $36-$38K could they have compared them to?
I suppose you meant to say rear wheel drive, but regardless the Toyota Aurion. With the rumors the Falcon might go FWD, it would be good to sort out if a FWD V6 car can be any good in comparison.

Otherwise the Audi boat they made would be a good comparison to a Falcon/Commodore. :p

I was thinking about how different this Ford v Holden thing would be compared to the one from Ep2 and it occured to me that Club Sport v FPV is typical Top Gear where as Commodore Omega v Falcon XT is more 5th gear really and Tom and Vicki should be comparing them.

As I mentioned in another post, the Falcons and Commodores are the only cars we will not see on TGUK so at least it's something different. I do agree that adding the Aurion would have been a good touch, all Australian made, all in the same market.

Back to the final episode and I am looking forward to seeing the Aston, it's such a great car. I would have that that Steve would have got the Porsche though.....

If this is an enntry-level comparison, shouldn't it be a road-test rather than a track-test?

I don't see why they couldn't do both. A road test then end up at Wakefield Park and compare their track times to The Stig in a V8 Supercar ... to make it a bit more fair they could do the laps from a Le Mans start (the only time I've seen The Stig run is when he is chasing sheep .. and buckling into the 15-point harness would also bring him back to the field).

Overview of Episode 8:

Now shes an absolute corker of a woman so it should be great.

Potentially a visual feast in the mountains.

Gotta love the Jaguars, esp the old Types.

Not again ! but overall this episode has the makings of a brilliant way to wrap up a series and keep the excitement simmering for S2..

Charlie seems very unpopular and no one was really trying to talk with him.

Maybe hes getting the message?
But more importantly the producers might be getting the message and do us all proud with this Ep and make it magnificent television.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.