[01x09] January 16th, 2011

[01x09] January 16th, 2011

• Total voters
Umm, in the moonshine challenge, Rut's T-bird lost coolant and overheated from a stuck thermostat, and he pulled teh radiator hose off, poked a hole in the thermostat with a pen, refilled the coolant with puddle water, and got back on the road. So I sincerely doubt that your scenario was the story.

Just sayin'

I forgot about that , so i will grant your point about Rut's mechanical abilities . perhaps he is reasonably competent and not as hapless as i made him sound . still , it would have been interesting or at least entertaining to see him try to diagnose and fix it . much more entertaining than the log cabin on the bed , imho . the thing is , the motivation would have to be that the consequences of failure would have to be much greater than just finishing in the toyota . the consequences would have to be something humorous for us , and unpleasant for them . but maybe that is just my mischievous/sadistic sense of humor talking . :)

only just got around to watching the episode but it was 100% awesome.

TG USA has been (I know there is one episode left) really impressive. Looking at this as the first season against the first series of TG UK I would have to say it easily beats it. I genuinely hope this is given time to grow and mature.

Never been to the US but I love all the huge SUVs and Pickups with big roaring V8s and this episode was perfect for that. I know others might not agree but I can really see some great chemistry between the 3 guys now, and really enjoy these challenges they do together.

Alaska is a gorgeous state, and there was some great shots too, TG USA seems to have high production values.

I gave it 9/10, couldnt quite give it 10 (only recent 10 has been the Senna TG episode).

I gave it an 8.

I'm just going to echo what many have already said in this thread. It seemed a little rushed and Adam is the weak link. What I have to look forward to (in about 24 hours time) is a new TGUK and a new TGUS to watch :)

What I have to look forward to (in about 24 hours time) is a new TGUK and a new TGUS to watch :)

Except you're not going to get the latter. TGUS is a clip show this week.

Rollcages? Pussies.
Did TG Bolivia have cages?

Fantastic way to end the series, more of this please.

Last edited:
I really didn't want to like TGUS being a huge fan of the original, but I found I did in spite of myself. I was likewise unimpressed when I saw what the episode was about, but it definately was an American equivilent of a classic TopGear adventure . I'm not a truck guy (which is why I'm a Top Gear fan!), but I liked Tanners Chevy from the start. Not surprising the pro driver made it through without wrecking his vehicle!

I liked the episode, effectively a good way to end the first season. The roll cages didn't bother me but I wish they would of said "and we found a workshop and cue the music" before they started to "modify" the trucks.

Why isn't there a thread or download for the last episode?
WHO CARES if it's "just a clip/review" show, I'd still like it!

Sure, that "pirate" site has some weird download for it, but once you've got it, it's a ton of individual files and none of the are recognizable as video on my machine.
I'd really like to d/l it from a place trusted by this site.

Sucks...

And yeah, I know this is the topic for the episode before the last one, but they won't let me make a new topic, lol!

Grr.....

Where's the humiliation? The Hilux clearly was better then any of the POS's they brought with them.

The problem I had with this show was the constant American chest thumping. The best episode of Top Gear U.S. pales in comparison to the worst of Top Gear UK. I'm done with this show and will gladly never watch another episode of it. The hosts are terrible, the cars are horrible. The challenges are worse then the originals.

The one good thing I will say is that the majority of Americans who watch this and are ignorant to the far superior original version will probably find this show entertaining. But everyone who has scene the original and prefers this is either kidding themselves, letting their American pride overwhelm their intelligence or is simply just in denial.

speak for yourself

Lets not try to talk TGUS out of existence aye? The more rating TGUS gets, the more Top Gear shows there are for us to watch, and TGUS isn't half as bad as people made it out to be imo. Even the TGAU was alright and somewhat enjoyable. If ya want the worst of TG brands, try TGRU... Back to the TGUS/UK comparison, TGUK has begun to bore me with their recent over the top cocking about, there's no suprises anymore, and the jokes simply arn't that funny anymore. But let there be Top Gear for the remainder of the universe! So we can all have things to watch and discuss about. =D Btw this episode is by far the BEST episode of TGUS season 1, I gave it a 10 out of 10, wish there was an option for 9.5, cuz a 30 second clips on how they modified the vehicle would've been perfect. I look forward to season two, and put more american cars in it! Theres no need to watch every single cars from the TGUK in TGUS again, have some domestic spices and Americans will buy this show.

Last edited:
I've been enjoying the series since day 1, and each episode is getting much better than the last. I will admit that Top Gear US has gotten it's bearings a lot quicker than the other two from its birth, but that's probably because of all of the other spin-offs and original before it. I really do love having a TG show of our own and appeal to the masses (who haven't seen the others) here, keep it up for next season. :3 Great way to end the season though.

9/10

Hell, the UK guys took one of those to the North Pole.

Splitting hairs, but the North Pole trucks were Tacomas, and had next to nothing in common with a modded early 90's Toyota Pickup.

What surprised me is that they didn't take the opportunity to dig at Toyota-- given that the truck featured was built in an era when Toyota still cared about making cars, unlike the complete dreck they churn out now. Just ignoring the thing like so much a Morris Marina was fairly disingenuous.

Splitting hairs, but the North Pole trucks were Tacomas, and had next to nothing in common with a modded early 90's Toyota Pickup. ..

Splitting hairs, but they were indeed "Hilux's", but which had been SERIOUSLY modified specifically for that kind of purpose.

i did really enjoy this episode.
but would have liked more on the two trucks breaking down, especially the dodge...what gave up the ghost finally?
(i'm kind of thinking it was just the repeated soaking of the electrics)
problem for us TGUK fans though is we instantly saw this "challenge" and thought "Buy a Hilux. No problem, oh...oh...American truck...huh.."
Frankly with the Hilux following behind I would have been sabotaging my truck so I would have to drive that one.
Some more Hilux info might have been nice as well for people.
Episode did feel a bit rushed but I'm guessing it is just do to having lots of footage and trying to condense it all.