[01x09] January 16th, 2011

[01x09] January 16th, 2011

• Total voters
Even at the end when he backed it into the ice with a good amount of force and was still able to haul ass back out and up the hill.

I'm still not entirely convinced the "back up the hill" wasn't the footage being run in reverse. ;)

These guys are finally coming into their own. I was watching the TGUK Bolivia Special just yesterday(got to watch reruns), this episode is almost comparable. Humour was always strained in most of the episodes but it is getting better. A solid 9 for me.

Absolutely solid entertainment, what else can you ask for?

I'm still not entirely convinced the "back up the hill" wasn't the footage being run in reverse. ;)

Naw, you could see water dripping and the tires throwing dirt.

8/10 :D.

Really enjoyed this one. I laughed at quite a few of the one-liners that were obviously scripted, but I think the show needs it. These guys like each other too much to genuinely bicker.

At the moment anyway, we'll see if it changes over a few seasons ;).

8/10 :D.

Really enjoyed this one. I laughed at quite a few of the one-liners that were obviously scripted, but I think the show needs it. These guys like each other too much to genuinely bicker.

At the moment anyway, we'll see if it changes over a few seasons ;).

Which is exactly why there need to be more "has your trouser leg gone missing?" moments on these trips. Yeah, they rib on each other and crash into each other... but where are the childish pranks? They need to spend more time together to really get on each other's nerves.

That was the best TGUS so far for me. It's tempting to measure it against the UK original, and to subtract points for all the deju vu moments from TGUK, but on their own performance so far I'd give this latest one an 8/10. Past episodes sometimes had me cringing, but I found myself this time chuckling quite often despite some scripted gags. There didn't seem to be so many 'set-up' moments in this one - they really were tossing themselves at the scenery and living with the outcome.

Best episode of the season.

A couple of points, though. Did Rut's truck have a Chevy engine? The reason I ask is because he said at the beginning that it had a 5.7 liter V8. Dodge trucks in 1997 had either a 5.2 liter or 5.9 liter engine. I would expect a car guy to know something like that. Just like I would expect a car guy to know that the Ferrari F40 was not powered by a 3 liter V6 but a V8. (I'm looking at you, Mr May!) And is Adam really so stupid to not consider rain or mosquitos when he built the cage on the back of his truck? (Or much more likely, had someone build it for him.) That had to have been scripted. In fact, the more I watch him, I wonder how he got the job. He doesn't seem to know that much about cars, and he actually seems nervous when he's driving.
And yeah, they were driving way too fast; again, I think it was scripted that way. (Real 4 wheeling - where people drive slowly and carefully, and check the depth of rivers before they cross - apparently isn't entertaining enough.)
One thing I don't get about Tanner's truck - he said it was a 1983, but he also said it had the 5.7 liter diesel engine. Starting in 1982, GM used the 6.2 liter Detroit Diesel engine in the C/K trucks. The 5.7 liter Olds LF9 was used from 1978 to 1980.
Oh, and I loved that '66-67 Olds Cutlass in the background at the wrecking yard where they met to show off the mods on their trucks. (Starting at 14:11.)
Despite all the little niggling errors, I really did like the episode. It really did seem like 3 friends screwing around in the Alaskan bush.

Great episode, this show is getting better with every episode, can't wait for season 2. :D

Best episode of the season.

A couple of points, though. Did Rut's truck have a Chevy engine? The reason I ask is because he said at the beginning that it had a 5.7 liter V8. Dodge trucks in 1997 had either a 5.2 liter or 5.9 liter engine. I would expect a car guy to know something like that. Just like I would expect a car guy to know that the Ferrari F40 was not powered by a 3 liter V6 but a V8. (I'm looking at you, Mr May!) And is Adam really so stupid to not consider rain or mosquitos when he built the cage on the back of his truck? (Or much more likely, had someone build it for him.) That had to have been scripted. In fact, the more I watch him, I wonder how he got the job. He doesn't seem to know that much about cars, and he actually seems nervous when he's driving.
And yeah, they were driving way too fast; again, I think it was scripted that way. (Real 4 wheeling - where people drive slowly and carefully, and check the depth of rivers before they cross - apparently isn't entertaining enough.)
One thing I don't get about Tanner's truck - he said it was a 1983, but he also said it had the 5.7 liter diesel engine. Starting in 1982, GM used the 6.2 liter Detroit Diesel engine in the C/K trucks. The 5.7 liter Olds LF9 was used from 1978 to 1980.
Oh, and I loved that '66-67 Olds Cutlass in the background at the wrecking yard where they met to show off the mods on their trucks. (Starting at 14:11.)
Despite all the little niggling errors, I really did like the episode. It really did seem like 3 friends screwing around in the Alaskan bush.

seems you miss the point this time

Granted, I'm not expecting Fifth Gear or even (shudders) Motorweek, but try to get some facts straight.

And yes, it's an entertainment show - but I shouldn't have to switch off my brain to be entertained. Early Top Gear UK used to be funny and smart.

Enjoyed this episode, it was the most "american" for me, since pick-up trucks are the definitive american simbol (or so I think since I am not american myself).

Btw, all the time I was wondering: Does anyone knwo which truck/4x4 does the cameramen and the crew use? Terrain looked pretty tough for many normal new vehicules.

Granted, I'm not expecting Fifth Gear or even (shudders) Motorweek, but try to get some facts straight.

And yes, it's an entertainment show - but I shouldn't have to switch off my brain to be entertained. Early Top Gear UK used to be funny and smart.

i respect that, so switch it off and just have fun. thats all im saying. not trying to be mean

This episode was a 10. Finally the productions values were up to the original standard. No camera shake, out of focus shots and no overt beauty shots. This episode finally allow the focus on the hosts and their ability to deliver.

Originally Posted by phoenixsac

i respect that, so switch it off and just have fun. thats all im saying. not trying to be mean

Except for the news, all television is entertainment. I am amazed by the number of people only see the comedy. There is an informative side to TG. This is one of the few places where you can get up close and personal with exotic automobiles and get some insight on how they perform. It is just done in a light hearted fashion. How popular would TG be if only the best selling cars were reviewed?

Except for the news, all television is entertainment. I am amazed by the number of people only see the comedy. There is an informative side to TG. This is one of the few places where you can get up close and personal with exotic automobiles and get some insight on how they perform. It is just done in a light hearted fashion. How popular would TG be if only the best selling cars were reviewed?

yes, but what Top Gear is good at is teaching us things when we dont even ntice they re teaching us. They slip facts in without us noticing. how many times hav you been talking cars with someone and realized you just whipped out a "clarkson" fact or "may" fact? its why this show works, they are smart but they dont shove it in our face.

One thing I don't get about Tanner's truck - he said it was a 1983, but he also said it had the 5.7 liter diesel engine. Starting in 1982, GM used the 6.2 liter Detroit Diesel engine in the C/K trucks. The 5.7 liter Olds LF9 was used from 1978 to 1980..
He never said it was the 5.7 diesel, he thought it was the 6.2 and when realized it wasn't he said it was the sbc 5.7
It's a case of Tanner not doing the research and got completely screwed. It wasn't even a diesel.
He really thought it was a diesel. you can see in the first few minutes of him showing his truck they flash to the fuel gauge where it says "diesel only"
......................................................................................................
kind of a diesel geek here so i felt i needed to post that.

I thought it was a good episode especially being that its the first season. I can remember the first season of tg uk being rather rough around the edges too. 8/10

Went with an 8, liked it, but think this one could have benefited greatly from being 30 mins longer.