[01x10] January 13, 2016

[01x10] January 13, 2016

• Total voters
Took me two days to watch the episode as I literally nodded off during the first part of the Barbados segment. It is getting more and more difficult to watch the whole episode in one sitting.

I would never say this, but Dicky is quite funny on GT :(
Imagine Tiff as the racing driver. That would be soo much better.
Hmmmmm, old jokes from May.
"Criticising a man who has tooth ache." :lmao:
Ugh, fucking comedy.
Dammit, funny 'comedy' for once.
Fuck me, please end this celebrity shit.
Axl Rose is the lead singer of AC/DC?
Fuck me, the same fucking joke... really??? We had that audience bollocks three weeks ago?
Drag the fucking cars into the sea with a fucking rope.
God dammit, Hammond dangling got me. :lol:
Reusing the same shot? Two minutes later? Saving money or laziness?

I enjoyed the Alfa review, but I was just a little bit disappointed that it didn't turn into a three way shootout between the BMW, Jaaaag, and Alfa.

The audience part baffled me, since they just used that gag a few episodes ago. And the car reef thing had promise. For a second I thought they were going to fulfill my dream of Dieselgate Reef, but alas, all we got was a sole Land Rover. At least it looked pretty rusted out on the inside. I usually hate seeing classics destroyed for no reason.

7/10

7/10 because of the Alfa review, cinementography, and conversation street was vintage "the news". The rest was meh. The comedy feels forced and stale. I wish the scripted stuff didn't at least look as scripted. I still enjoyed my hour more than that Patriots and Texans playoff game. LOL

[01x10] January 13, 2016

Alfa review was good. Similar to Jeremy's review of the XK in Iceland (or was it wales as well?) many years ago. I want yank the American stig's voicebox.

Conversation street was good minus the "football is with your foot" junk. Yeah, we know. Can we move on from old cliches? Oh that's right, you still make jokes about ww2 when the subject turns to Germany.

Barbados bit was totally a "we want to have a vacation but not have to pay for it ourselves." There's no other reason. Since when did they become kiss-asses and decide to make a coral reef? Give me a break, they'd couldn't give two shits about that stuff.

except the Alfa movie, it was pointless

I enjoyed the Alfa review, but I was just a little bit disappointed that it didn't turn into a three way shootout between the BMW, Jaaaag, and Alfa.

So was I, for a bit. But then again, BMW vs Jag would be a bit too "old school Top Gear". Mind you, I don't think the "bait and switch" to the Alfa is necessarily better, if only because you overexpose JC's "egotist" persona which becomes a turnoff if there's too much of it, unless he gets hit with an egobuster act later on.

The audience part baffled me, since they just used that gag a few episodes ago.

Yes, but apparently the audience didn't know about the LA taping, and they didn't do the "football" thing then (since they weren't in playoff season). Their playing with the audience brings me in mind of a snowball fight: you're not going to cause a riot, and everyone's friends afterwards.

And the car reef thing had promise. For a second I thought they were going to fulfill my dream of Dieselgate Reef, but alas, all we got was a sole Land Rover. At least it looked pretty rusted out on the inside. I usually hate seeing classics destroyed for no reason.

I suspect that, for season 2, Wilman and Porter will put their foot down: "No, Jeremy, no more of your vacation spots for segments. Your middle has already become the poster child for metabolic syndrome, no one wants to see more of it."

6/10. Not bad, the kinks are still being worked out. I expect quite a lot of changes in the next season. I don't have any original observations... Barbados too long. Alfa review great etc, CBC just dumb, the USA chanting was eye-wateringly terrible. I felt sorry for James having to pretend he had a fat lip. Who the eff came up with that?

One thing I would mention. It should be remembered that not only did they have to make 12 episodes of an extremely logistically difficult show (why oh why have a tent? It does nothing) but they had to set up a production company and all that nonsense. They've probably been stretched to the limit and the quality of the ideas and the writing isn't up to par, but I'm thinking that as the show goes on the W. Chump & Sons starts to run itself a bit more... it'll get better.

I didn't even like the Alfa review. I thought Chris Harris did a much better job with his review of the car.

Since I was at the taping of this episode, I can't give it a rating. Now that it has aired, I don't have to worry about spoilers and have a bit more to say.

1. I also wish they had done a comparison between the Alfa, the BMW, and the Jaaaag. I've seen the Alfa Quadriplegia on our exhibit floor for the unveiling, but I'm curious about the XE and how it compares to the Be a Mechanic Weekly.

2. I wonder if any of the three have listened to a radio recently. Yes, Motown was happier than country in the 1970s. But now country is all about tailgate parties, getting laid, flaunting your truck, getting laid, loving small-town life, and getting laid. Motown simply doesn't exist any more. Hip-hop and (c)rap has taken over everything.

3. James is completely, 100%, dead-on right about the Nurburgring-tuned cars. I wanted to shout my agreement with him, but had to bite my tongue. Didn't want to start a real audience fight. Or cause a re-take.

4. Yes, the football/soccer thing was totally staged. And I had a feeling it would look bad on TV, but it looked even worse. It was supposed to look like James was given a bloody nose by the guy in the blue shirt, but that bit was left out. Even though they did two takes.

5. Thomas Edison (from the old record player conversation, which was not staged) was played by none other than Toly Arutunoff, a racing legend and friend of the museum.

6. My biggest disappointment with the whole deal was that they didn't visit our museum. I think it could have been a much more interesting show. I suspect they went to that collector car dealer because Hammond wanted to go shopping. And they may have been the ones who loaned the Trans Am, truck, and Lincoln for the opening scenes, but I'm just speculating. Oh well, James May is always welcome to visit us any time.

Yes, but apparently the audience didn't know about the LA taping, and they didn't do the "football" thing then (since they weren't in playoff season). Their playing with the audience brings me in mind of a snowball fight: you're not going to cause a riot, and everyone's friends afterwards.

Actually, we did. The first episode had already aired by the time they taped in Nashville.

So Jeremy is literally Adam Sandler of car show hosts?

Well spotted! I knew he is starting to remind me of someone, couldn?t put finger on it.

The Barbados segment seems such a waste if we consider how beautiful Caribbean is, I've never been to Barbados, and given that the production took time and expense to travel there for a shoot, why not show us the island? Why not buy 3 cars there, and drive around for few days, that way we could see some of the local life, local roads, what the traffic is like.. how are the people, some car jokes thrown in? Maybe cheap cars that keep breaking down, so writers and actors wouldn't have to work too hard. Maybe drown the cars at the end, because children like destroying things.

But no, we saw water. No cars. This could have been filmed in a pond outside Chester, UK, why drag the crew to Barbados, since we never saw Barbados anyway. I'm really sorry if this sounds like whining, but this show is breaking my heart. And the season of Sherlock did too, maybe that's why I'm so angry :)

The Alfa film, that was just bloody brilliant, the rest of the show really to felt like old TG of just mocking around this time in the water, it was bad, but wasnt great.

The Barbados film could have been shorter, and I felt sorry for the felly for not making it (although probably the most exotic destination a ?koda felicia would ever get).

Not bad nevertheless.

Took me two days to watch the episode as I literally nodded off during the first part of the Barbados segment. It is getting more and more difficult to watch the whole episode in one sitting.

You're probably just growing old. The same kind of thing has been happening to me. ;-)

The Barbados film was indeed a bit of a disappointment. When they don't actually drive around in vehicles of some sort, I do indeed get a strong sense of "What's the point?" While I had a bit of that sense with the Jordan training base film (Episode 2), at least in that one I really enjoyed stuff like Hammond getting to bash Clarkson upside the head with a shovel, Clarkson and Hammond trying to get in an elegant lunch before May got killed again, and May and Hammond shooting each other. The Barbados film just didn't provide nearly enough humor to wash away that "Why are they doing this?" feeling. Definitely agreed with everyone who thought that they would much rather watch the guys driving around Barbados, instead.