[01x10] January 13, 2016

[01x10] January 13, 2016

• Total voters
I'm rating this 5/10 because the first 30 minutes of the episode were excellent. The Quadrifoglio review is one of the best reviews Clarkson has done, and it is probably biased by the fact that it's my current dream car. The opening studio bits and the conversation street was really well written and enjoyable.

But then the coral reef film started and after that you can safely turn off your TV and do something better with your time. What was a silly little joke that could have worked for a tiny 10min segment, was somehow stretched out as the main clip of the episode, taking almost an entire half of the runtime. Predictable gags, overexagerrated and flanderized caracters coupled with a boring subject matter made getting through this segment a pain. In addition, the CBC + the obligatory "football vs. soccer" debate was awful.

I'd say that this episode is a perfect representation of what Grand Tour is. This episode is exactly 50% greatness and 50% bullshit, and Grand Tour overall has had 5 great episodes and 5 rubbish ones.

I'm rating this 5/10 because the first 30 minutes of the episode were excellent. The Quadrifoglio review is one of the best reviews Clarkson has done, and it is probably biased by the fact that it's my current dream car. The opening studio bits and the conversation street was really well written and enjoyable.

But then the coral reef film started and after that you can safely turn off your TV and do something better with your time. What was a silly little joke that could have worked for a tiny 10min segment, was somehow stretched out as the main clip of the episode, taking almost an entire half of the runtime. Predictable gags, overexagerrated and flanderized caracters coupled with a boring subject matter made getting through this segment a pain. In addition, the CBC + the obligatory "football vs. soccer" debate was awful.

I'd say that this episode is a perfect representation of what Grand Tour is. This episode is exactly 50% greatness and 50% bullshit, and Grand Tour overall has had 5 great episodes and 5 rubbish ones.

Pretty much what I thought as well, gave it a 6 though.

Same. The Alfa review was nothing short of brilliant and the coral reef thing was ok for 10-15 minutes. I wish they would do 2/3 car review related stuff and 1/3 cocking about.

I liked this film quite a bit more than I had expected since the trailer implied a car light program and those aren't always great. Overall I think I prefer it to the eco LandRover thing they did a few weeks back. It starts out with a decent Alfa review and then moves into a cocking about film about building coral reefs for some reason. I thought it had it's moments to be honest.

A good film for the Alfa and one of Jeremy's better reviews in recent times. Just the right blend of comedy vs interesting.

Some of the tent stuff was OK but I'm surprised they rehashed the 3 of them vs the american audience again. Brain crash and the American, no comment.

The coral reef film went on far too long and they didn't need to have a part 2 as it had got quite boring by then.

7/10

I would agree with some of the comments above, the story of this series has been some genuinely good stuff mixed in with some genuinely bad stuff with a lot of reasonable stuff in between. The problem is they seem to do at least one of each in every episode so it's hard to truly enjoy it.

I enjoyed it even the coral reef bit then I watch because I know that I want to be entertained which I was.

Voted "4". Nearly boring. I did like the Alfa segment, but even there Clarkson doesn't seem "genuine" to me anymore, and that got much worse with the balance of the show, bottoming out with the reef film. It's like watching zombies try to put on a play - there's effort, but it's not pretty to watch and doesn't feel real.

It does take some doing to make the Caribbean boring though...

Last edited:
Eh, kind of a mixed bag again. Some good parts like Clarkson's review and parts of the reef film. But one consistent element so far has been their films go on way too long and if it's a thin premise to begin with, man does it get old and tired by the end.

Every time they come to the states, are they going to do the Brits vs Yanks battle?

Still probably my biggest issue is they travel to all these different countries but their films usually have nothing to do with the country they are in. The tent bits are totally pointless if there is no connection there. IMHO, this show would be infinitely more fun to watch if each place they travel they do a road trip or challenge at that location. Otherwise, what's the point? Why not just stay in one location?

Last edited:
Quite enjoyed it surprisingly. Maybe because I watched this and last weeks episode back to back and my headache had subsided by episode 10. Gave it an 8. The football part actually made me chuckle a lot enough to watch it again, and was fine with the coral reef thing. I find it fascinating subject and remember that I think it was in Plymouth, Devon they scuttled a ship in 2004 for this purpose, and seeing it live on TV. That tri-maran sailing boat was amazing, barely was floating, more like flying.

I do agree though, that The Grand Tour should be more about the country they were visiting at the time. Jeremy Clarkson's Motorworld but with the CHM formula, however good or bad it could be. Surely the budget is there.

Noticed the trivia section got a little thing wrong, in that it said the two Peugeot's were the 206 and 306, except it wasn't a 306 it was a 406.

Did anyone else think they were doing deliberate d?ja vu with the choice of cars for the very beginning (Trans Am, pickup, luxury boat)? And the dig-with-elbow Allman Bros "Jessica" joke was fun.

Last edited:
It's again from the US, "oh no we're still very British" out of the window again in the first second
Alfa bit was bland and uninspired. Deserved better
Chatting was terrible as it has been since TGT started
Car reef was not interesting at all

3/10

I always like when they review a car on an actual road, not only on the track. So that's good.

And James got to rant a bit in the tent. That's good too.

Jeremy's gut has gotten to a point where it should be pixelated.

Last edited:
Enjoyed it, but I always do. 7/10 I'm a high scorer!
And I now get what others here have bemoaned, why is the tent in Nashville if no filming is done there? What's the point, apart from glimpses of three old cars diving around in intro teasing me into thinking this was them buying cars locally. But no.
So, do part of show where you tent please. Logistically mad but getting rid of track and American will save money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Although the Barbados bit suffered from the same problem every "silly" film of the whole season had - being dragged out too much - this was the best episode yet. Loved Clarkson's "I made a really obvious joke at the BBC's expense" face... :D