[02x01] May 11th, 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

SL65

Ambitious but rubbish!
Car(s)
1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5L
Episode 1 of 8:

Following a race-winning first series, the Logie nominated Top Gear Australia returns to SBS on May 11 at 7:30pm with Series Two.

After a little body work, grease and oil change and a tune-up, the 8-episode series will showcase Warren Brown, Steve Pizzati and James Morrison in all-new challenges, great new segments, the latest car reviews and Stars in a Bog Standard Car.

To welcome James, the new bloke to the series, Steve and Warren thought they would be kind and let James pick whatever car he wanted for his first review. We won?t give away what he chose but here?s what he said about it.

?You know this really is an amazing car. It takes your driving ability and amplifies it so that you come out like some kind of Michael Schumacher ? and I don?t mean rich and retired?just quick,? said James.

Steve decides to drop in on James? first review with his own car, the BMW 135i, and soon enough the competitive spirit is awakened as James challenges Steve to a drag race and lap around Oran Park to find out whose car really is the best.

The high-octane capers continue when Warren and James are teamed against Steve in a race from Melbourne to Portsea. To test the fastest motoring option on the eve of a long weekend and guaranteed traffic jams, both teams have the use of the top machine in their vehicles? class. For Steve it?s one of the most expensive cars available in Australia - the new Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 worth a whopping $800,000. For Warren and James ? it?s something a little more compact?and personal.

Australian motor racing great, Mark Skaife shows his fierce competitive streak when he puts everything on the line for top honours as the Star in a Bog Standard Car. Steve and James walk you through every turn and straight on the Top Gear Australia track.

Also, in the opening jam-packed episode of the series, the lads decide to quell the rumours and prove, at their own peril, that the Top Gear Australia Stig is a fair dinkum, true blue Aussie. A new segment is unveiled and this week sees the hosts making a hilarious attempt to recreate a well-known television car commercial in the studio.

Catch Warren Brown, Steve Pizzati and James Morrison for your weekly dose of motoring entertainment, Mondays at 7:30pm on SBS from May 11.
http://img258.imageshack.**/img258/6725/topgearausep1pic1.jpg
http://img258.imageshack.**/img258/3469/markskaife.jpg

WHAT! They drove from Portsea to Melbourne :eek: :eek: I wish I had of known that, I would of gone and watched the LP640 dash past.

Looking forward to the new season, sounds like they have taken on board the majority of peoples gripes with the first series!

Judging by what the article in the May edition of TGA magazine said, I guess James first review will be the...

Mitsubishi Evo X

Melbourne to Portsea by car shouldn't take more than 2 to 2 and a half hours. Depends on which route Steve took

In the Preview Vid, it shows him behind a bunch of Cyclists on the road at Beach Road. Big Mistake, although depending on the rules. If anyone knows what it's like driving on there, they'll know what i mean.

Isn't that picture the first time you've ever seen Skaifey NOT wearing something red :p

OMG it is!

Anyway, it will be interesting how he compares with Murph's and Courtney's laps.

This episode sounds really good, can't wait to see it :D It will be cool to get an in depth explanation of the track too.

Steve and James walk you through every turn and straight on the Top Gear Australia track

:D Hopefully they've fine-tuned the rest of the filming as well on the track. Sounds like a very promising series starter, looking forward to it.

I saw the ad for the upcoming season earlier, looks promising!

And this episode sounds good =D

Steve and James walk you through every turn and straight on the Top Gear Australia track

As long as it's not real time :p

Hopefully much of the issues that plagued season 1 have been eradicated for this season, and they've had a bit of time to work on it so there's no reason why it shouldn't be a marked improvement.

My only concern is that they've got a segment too much in there, which will have them falling into the season one trap of the segments that seem to be missing a third part or a proper conclusion.

Having Skaife on should be good- he chats really well on the V8 Supercar commentary. I wonder who is doing the interview? Steve would have the better insights into racing but Waz has more experience with interviewing...

Having Skaife on should be good- he chats really well on the V8 Supercar commentary. I wonder who is doing the interview? Steve would have the better insights into racing but Waz has more experience with interviewing...

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25433139-5010800,00.html

It is in the above that Warren would be taking over as lead presenter and would do the "star" interview

and that "The new team also got some coaching from the backroom maestro behind the British show, Andy Wilman, when he was in Australia earlier this year"

According to the article in May's issue of the Aussie edition of TopGear magazine, there won't be a lead presenter. They will all share that role.

I've just got back from the Mount Gambier Generations in Jazz festival, which is compered and headed by one James Morrison. My little sister ran into him today and managed to have a good chat about the upcoming TGA, and he let slip the following interesting tidbits/spoilers:

-He and Warren won the Portsea race after he called "a friend who owns a truck company" and asked him to block the road Steve was taking

-He is apparently wildly in love with the Maserati Granturismo - when my sister asked him to talk supercar he went for that

-after filming the story about the hotted up HSV clubsport he couldn't walk for 'three or four days'.

So, you heard it here first :lol:

(also, if you ever get the chance to see him play, your life will be complete. The man is a musical legend.)

Wow...it's already that time of year! Sounds like they've been trying to address a lot of the issues raised last series (in these forums no less :) ).

Not having a lead host is a very good move as none of them have a controlling interest in the show's format (unlike Jeremy with TGUK and TG in general).

Now for an important question: Have they gotten rid of "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!?"..??? (pleeeeease!)

Status
Not open for further replies.