[02x02] May 18th, 2009

[02x02] May 18th, 2009

• Total voters
That first one is plausible I guess.

Though I doubt they ran out of money. They had a cheap car and the modifications would have been pretty cheap. How expensive can four cordless drills be?

I really would have liked it better with an actual race at the end. Watching Wazza do laps while Steve just sat there was a biy of a dissapointment.

So the news ain't back? Dammit! I caught the last half after SBS decided to work. It was alright, not too great. About a 6 from me.

That first one is plausible I guess.

Though I doubt they ran out of money. They had a cheap car and the modifications would have been pretty cheap. How expensive can four cordless drills be?

I really would have liked it better with an actual race at the end. Watching Wazza do laps while Steve just sat there was a biy of a dissapointment.

A 36v Cordless DeWalt is about $250. But it doesn't matter. They only had the one drill we saw.

And someone will no doubt be able to work the math regarding the inability for 4 drills to move a car. And then there was the trigger setup....

Fake.

:)

Wow, that super clubby was awesome. I didn't think it's be THAT much faster than a standard R8.

I don't get why everyone wants the news so badly, I doubt there is much news in the Australian market to create an entertaining segment.
I do agree that Ian Moss was boring and Warren was trying hard to get him to talk.

Thought I'd post this for those saying "They show no pics of the drills in place"
http://img42.imageshack.**/img42/3964/drills.jpg

The Superclubby review was interesting and informative, although I noted what seemed like a teensy weensy bit of product placement when Pizzati mentioned that the difference between the standard Clubby and the Superclubby was 'a Golf GTI engine'.
I think that is no different from May saying 'That's a VW Lupo that has escaped from your engine' in the 10,000 quid supercar challenge, the horrible CD plug was the issue of the episode imo.

The electric car challenge was pretty good, I like how you got to see the construction. I also like how Pizzati managed to bring the 'ambitious but rubbish' spirit into that challenge. ;)
Indeed, that was really horribly missing from the car boat they made in season one, I think both of them did a great job. I'd have liked to hear about costings (how much did the cars/batteries cost, because otherwise the $3000 limit was pointless, the scoreboard would be more useful in that segment) and have James involved (though I have a feeling they filmed parts of the series while they didn't have a third presenter).

SIABSC was a bit of a fizzer, but it wasn't for want of trying on Wazza's part. I think he was really into making it work, but Mossy wasn't a terribly engaging guest. What really turned me off is the gratuitous plug for Mossy's new album ...
The downside of the episode for me, though I'd hate to have seen Cox do the interview. Back to the top gear norm there with the SIARPC being the worst segment.

While I was a bit 'another one' at the clubsport review, he did it well, especially that stuff about the wheels. Could do with a bit less positivity, yes we realise Aussie cars are better value than the German equivalents, but they seem to always just ignore the overall quality gap, in normal traffic you'd take a slightly slower car with a more comforable interior/ride.

I'd like to see some of the non mainstream Aussie cars on TGA, the stuff made in small numbers in sheds, show we make more than big sedans.

Reversing thing was okay, seems odd that they started by showing the fancy device to add to an existing car, but then got a factory one. Should have had two of the Commodores and added the reversing camera to one, I'd imagine driving a Territory around there would be more difficult in the first place.

Overall I thought it was better than last week, hope the ratings reflect how good the show is getting. I'm really looking forward to next week.

Wow, that super clubby was awesome. I didn't think it's be THAT much faster than a standard R8.

I don't get why everyone wants the news so badly, I doubt there is much news in the Australian market to create an entertaining segment.
I do agree that Ian Moss was boring and Warren was trying hard to get him to talk.

Thought I'd post this for those saying "They show no pics of the drills in place"
http://img42.imageshack.**/img42/3964/drills.jpg

I rest my case. How hard is it to light something? Fake Fake Fake.

Nice cap BTW.

Having said all that, it would've been even MORE TopGear if Steve had've blatantly cheated, by installing a postie bike motor or something.

Still funny that they faked it though.

EDIT: I think this is the bit the Producers/Writers don't get - The TopGear Challenge Process is Try-Fail-Cheat-Fail-Fail-Fart-Try-Run-Beer-Laugh. Currently TGA are getting through by doing Try-Fail, believing it to be a challenge.

Last edited:
I gave it a 7, but I feel I may have been slightly harsh. After being really excited about Ian Moss, the interview was a bit of a let down, but that wasn't Warren's fault, Ian Moss is just a bit boring. The electric car challenge was entertaining and I liked seeing Steve's geekery with the actual building of the thing, excellent. The studio segment with the Model T was brilliant and very funny. I can believe it went slower than the stretch Hummer, mainly because they would have driven it very slowly and carefully...in the video they comment jokingly about the lack of body roll, and I imagine that car would have had quite a bit if you'd cornered it at speed. The Superclubby thing I have to watch again because I couldn't really hear it over the clatter of family dinner, and the reversing thing looked funny but I have to watch that again too. The only cringe worthy thing for me was the end when Steve somehow broke his car in the studio...that seemed like an unnecessary set up. Still, much improved over last season and it will only get better.

(also did anyone notice they advertised the actual topgear.com website after the show, looks like they're finally integrating the two).

I did notice the topgear.com advert at the end.

The diversity of the advertising over-all has pleased me. The same two Shannons and VW ads last series was annoying as hell. Thankfully now they are a little more random. And I haven't noticed a car ad yet.

Last edited:
10 Ways Steve Could Have Cheated in the Electric Car Challenge

1. Installing a quiet little postie bike motor
2. Attaching himself to Warren's car.
3. Crew members 'Flinstone-ing it" in the engine bay
4. Staging the challenge on a steep hill
5. Hooking up to a giant bungey cord
6. Hooking up to 240v via giant extension cable
7. Getting a 'Pump Draft' from a drag car
8. Getting a push from 3 buxom Gold Coast Meter Maids
9. Leaving the original engine in place
10. Sabotaging Warren's car

Last edited:
Whoa! What happened tonight? Last weeks' show was a good start but tonight's was back to the rubbish of old. Someone needs to be reamed and, after seeing last week, I don't think it's the 3 boys. On air they seem to be gelling well and after being in the audience for episode six last week, I realised that they are really funny, interesting guys (Steve, to my surprise, was the funniest of the three in the studio!) so I'm pretty sure it aint them. I agree, the supercharged Clubsport story was pretty good. A bit fifth gear perhaps, but thoroughly watchable and entertaining. I loved those few glimpses we got of Steve just enjoying the car and not reading a script. The driving was great and the whole tyre thing was really interesting too. But the other stories were just lame. What was the point of the electric car story, except not to use drills? And the reverse story was just a rehash of the thing they did in the outback last year. And to top that off, James threw in a public service announcement at the end of it. WTF? Can you imagine Clarkson saying anything like that? Funniest thing all night was the silent movie stig lap.
Also, Ian Moss for SIABSC was a poor choice. I wonder if Warren chose him or...?
I reckon it's the producers that need an arse kicking! Either way, it was a backwards step.

5/10

Looks like they decided to start the season on a strong note, comparing the two episodes so far. I'm not a follower of Cold Chisel and had never heard of Ian Moss, the interview didn't (hardly) introduce me to any new cultural aspects which is what gets me through SIARPC on Top Gear. I still wonder how James would perform as an interviewer (if footage exists please post here).
The old ad segment is just a continuation of the ad break and cheapens the whole show. I'm not so sure if a news segment is a good fit for TGA as Clarkson usually uses it as a platform to air his grievances and requires the banter between the hosts to be entertaining in itself (just my opinion).

Last edited:
trust me the drills were real and were in place. I was at the recording and he had a stack of re chargers in the back on the tray for a quick swap for the batteries. They took two takes of that last bit where he tried to get it working twice. Just incase it got working again, cause he originally forgot to flick a switch to turn it opn. lol

Superclubby was good.
reversing was good but not great.
Ad was good. "HEY CHARGER"
SAIBSC, well i didnt listen to him at the recording and a didnt watch it 2nite. At the recording we were off ot the side talking to steve the whole time during that segment lol.
Model T, felt way too long.

Overall was a decent ep.

trust me the drills were real and were in place. I was at the recording and he had a stack of re chargers in the back on the tray for a quick swap for the batteries. They took two takes of that last bit where he tried to get it working twice. Just incase it got working again, cause he originally forgot to flick a switch to turn it opn.

Thanks for clearing that up for us.

Clubbies were nice, I was stunned by the look and sound of the r8 and blown away by the supersport. The bit about the tires was really informative.

Ad was quite funny but if you knew it already it could be rather dull. So Holden last week, Chrysler now and Ford the next?

The electric cars started good, steve looked determined, warren rather helpless. Perhaps a bit more swearing could improve it. The adapterplate was thought trough but not strong enough. I lol'd as I saw these puny gears. I second the cheating btw.
I wonder how Steve managed to control the drills.

The three are getting better in the chemistry department every episode. James seems to be a bit behind but he is the new guy.

Model T was great and there was some bodyroll not as much as the Superclub but it was there. I like to see it go around in real time

SIARPC was a bit dull. Warren tried really hard to get him going but it was perhaps a bit much. Ian mentioned the real meaning of quiet The next time they plug a CD, they should play a bit and not only show it. It is music afterall).

Reversing was sort of fun. The cones were worthy of a punishment.

I gave it a 5 after the first watch but changed my mind for a 7. Can I change my vote afterwards?

7/10 (bordering on a 6). I would normally not preach about how they need to be more like TGUK, but, they kinda do. TGUK has greatideas and they should use them. when they were building the 2 electric cars, they should have made it more like the other show where two or three guys set off in different directions and a set amount of time and money and neither of them know what the other is doing only to meet up at a predetermined point for the compitition and a series of challenges along the way, no matter how you argue it, that system WORKS!

Loved the reverse challenge, would be a fun thing to try. i would normally agree that it moved a bit to fast, but, we must remember that they have to factor in commercial time.

skipped the star segment

all in all, i think, like i said last week, that things are looking up for TGA, great changes from last year!

Oh, and the TG Live reference was funny as hell!

i STILL think the news is a huge part of the Top Gear formula. they could slip that in where the Stig was doing what i thought was a pointless, yet funny, test of the Model T.

Last edited:
I think the decision of TGA's producers to drop the news in favour of a stunt is a good thing, although I suspect if news was to make a comeback, it would be much better with the current TGA3 than it was in Season 1.

And I had the scariest thought then ... imagine the Ian Moss interview, only with Charlie Cox doing the interviewing ... :barf: