[02x03] May 25th, 2009

[02x03] May 25th, 2009

• Total voters
We have a prime minister who deliberately slipped 'shitstorm' into an interview on TV at 6:30pm (TGA airs at 7:30pm) in an attempt to be on the level of the average Aussie, this is just another manifestation of that sort of thinking I'd guess.

Plus SBS are a lot more relaxed in general to the language it uses over the commercial stations. The average kid isn't going to be watching SBS and accidentally be hit with an f-bomb, they would be too busy watching what ever teen soap or who's australia's biggest talentless fat fuck or some tripe on the commercial stations.

We have a prime minister who deliberately slipped 'shitstorm' into an interview on TV at 6:30pm (TGA airs at 7:30pm) in an attempt to be on the level of the average Aussie, this is just another manifestation of that sort of thinking I'd guess.

PRIME MINISTER

Lol that was the dumbest thing I heard when that "unscripted" interview happened.

Bring on some good aussies like Rob Sitch :)

Anh Do was bloody loud. I was expecting his interview to be better but Warren just seemed to be cueing him into his next joke. As Asians though, my family seriously LOL'ed at the 'hitting the slopes' joke.

The Maserati segment was awesome....hot damn Warren Brown can paint! I wonder what became of that picture he did. Also they've improved their track shooting method a lot don't you think? All the camera shots seem to make sense now and you're not seeing the car crest a hill a kilometre in the distance anymore.

I think the Ute segment was a bit unfulfilled, it would have been nice to see actual challenges. It was quite funny seeing the seat in Steve's Prelute catch fire because of the mirror, and we all love a good kiwi-bashing joke now and then ;)

James' stunt driving was quite impressive, although quite embarrassing that he messed up the two wheeling bit so badly...I wish they would have let him perform in the actual stunt show though!

The City Safe thing was quite neat, I witnessed a rear ender accident on Punt road only a couple of months ago which was exactly the type of accident this system would have prevented so it seems like quite a good system to me.

And the car ad thing is getting old. I would love to see the Toyota 'bugger' ad again though.

7/10 for this episode from me.

a fringe comedian, who drives a Prius (after pressure from his wife and a viewing of "An Inconvenient Half-Truth") is hardly appropriate material for Top Gear!!

More like inconvenient lie. It's come up since then that the .. ahem... climatologists that put together the... ahem... research... behind that film... conveniently left out or redacted information that countered what they had to say. My first thought was that if had been Jeremy Clarkson up on the platform, there would have been some choking followed by a "you actually believed anything they said in that film?"

(John Laws) pass

There's a supposed story about him 'cubing' someone's car who parked in his car spot. It'd almost be worth it to hear the response on that alone.

"Know what I mean?"

;)

double pass on john laws

Plus SBS are a lot more relaxed in general to the language it uses over the commercial stations. The average kid isn't going to be watching SBS and accidentally be hit with an f-bomb, they would be too busy watching what ever teen soap or who's australia's biggest talentless fat fuck or some tripe on the commercial stations.

True, on top of which, i'm quite proud to live in a country that hasn't compeltely given in to this political correctness storm.

double pass on john laws

I don't think you guys really get SIARPC/SIABSC. I'd run over John Laws .. and reverse back over him again .. just like any one. You don't have to like the guest for them to be appropriate. The best guests are well known, articulate, have a checkered public history and are enthusiastic about cars. John Laws was a name I picked out of the air to indicate the type of person they should be seeking for that segment.

The bunch of half-knowns they are currently trotting out are making the segment effete ... they would be better off pulling someone from the audience and having a Pleb In A Bog Standard Car segment instead of what they are currently doing.

Really enjoyed this one! I'm not familiar with Anh Do, but I thought he was funny (liked the story about performing for veterans), and OK, he was loud, but as I'm not familiar with him, I just took it for the way he was :)

I'm appreciating the balance the show seems to have this season. I guess they've got James doing so much stuff on his own because Wazza and Steve had to get on with filming around a Charlie-shaped hole, and I'm hoping that later in the series they will have him filming challenges with the others, but the stunt driving thing showed that he knows what he's doing, and I suppose he got in on the ute thing a little bit, what with his performance of 'Happy Birthday'! Talking of the ute thing, I enjoyed it immensely as far as it went, but I really wish they'd get to grips with actually challenging the vehicles (and their drivers) and coming to some actual conclusions - not that it really matters too much when you've created cars like those, but it would imbue the challenges with some actual challenge (too many variations on 'actual' and 'challenge' in there? Sorry, but it is my one ongoing frustration with the show).

I would disagree with the point about the language on the show this episode though; I found it far more noticeable in season 1 when bits and pieces that would never have got past the BBC on TG UK made it into several episodes of TG Aus, and I thought it had been toned down a bit, along with the general level of Ockerism. Not that this bothers me in the slightest - I just assume this relates to different broadcasting standards in a different country where people aren't going to be too upset if you say "bum" or whatever.

Overall, I'm happy with the way TG Aus is going. Still not convinced by the ad thing, but I'd love to see the 'bugger' ad again too, so if they can squeeze that one in, I'll be a happy viewer :D

I don't think you guys really get SIARPC/SIABSC...The bunch of half-knowns they are currently trotting out are making the segment effete ... they would be better off pulling someone from the audience and having a Pleb In A Bog Standard Car segment instead of what they are currently doing.

Top Gear Russia also seems to be suffering from this. Most of their guests look like they are present under duress and they come across as flat. It also doesn't help the host seems unable to generate much rapport with the guests.

Warrens painting of that GTS was fantastic, and that car was one of the best bits imo

That would be a perfect item to be signed by Wazza and put into a charity auction.

Did you catch the TG t-shirt behind James during the Sigma ad? Nice Nordschliefe.

Realising of course that humour is a subjective thing, I definitely thought the 'star' was pretty bad. His humour relied on the theory that if you shout it loud enough, anything is funny. It had the four of us watching all wishing deeply that there was a fast forward button to make him go away as soon as possible.

The utes were pretty amusing though, especially the Toyota on the rough course, and the ejector door.