[02x03] May 25th, 2009

[02x03] May 25th, 2009

• Total voters
I thought this episode was pretty good. I liked the utes and Ahn Do is a funny guy.

Who the fuck was that annoying, arrogant and loud "star"?! So obnoxious AND LOUD. Minus 1-mark for that.

And minus another mark for that blatant plug for Hollywood Stunt Driver on the Gold Coast :thumbsdown:

But I liked everything else.....loved some of the film work of that Massa! :D

5/10

7/10 it was a solid episode but they still cram in too much in so little time and their plug ins are still aren't subtle enough. I wish they brought back the news to place the ads thingo, but it wouldn't really go with the times, due to their delayed filming.

Who the fuck was that annoying, arrogant and loud "star"?! So obnoxious AND LOUD. Minus 1-mark for that.

Ahn Do.

You've never heard of Ahn Do?!?:|

yeah i agree, ahn do (spelling?) was very loud, wonder if he cant hear his own voice. I like how the boys seem to be coming together in the studio, heres hoping soon they will rely less on scripting and just wing it...
The maserati...god that is a beautiful car, clarkson needs his head read by calling it 'pig ugly', I actually reckon it is far more pretty then the competizione, which he labelled as 'art'. As for warren spilling champagne in the back seat, that annoyed me, means they are not respecting the cars as such, and they do belong to someone.
Finally, James' stunt driving left me cold, I enjoy his style of presenting, but the whole segment was too rushed and did not do much for me.

A seamless 5. Next week we have more commodores doing doughnuts...am I alone in getting sick of that?

Good episode, James doing the stunt thing (in Queensland) was the best for me

The ute challenge was funny in parts, but could have been a bit longer. I really think they need to include all three presenters in these challenges, it makes it sooo much more exciting/interesting.

Also, the big bitumen car park that James was practicing the stunts for in the falcon -> Thats where i compete in Motorkhanas!!!! :D:D Recognised it immediately ;)

A solid 8 for me

As for warren spilling champagne in the back seat, that annoyed me, means they are not respecting the cars as such, and they do belong to someone.

You shouldn't jump to conclusions. They could have had a drop-cloth down or anything. It wouldn't have been seen with the angle they were shooting from.

I missed the first 15 minutes but I have to say I did like what I saw.

James was fantastic behind the wheel of the stunt car, shows he does have some genuine driving talent. It wasn't an especially funny segment but it was quite interesting - a mix of May's determination and Hammond's reporting.

What I saw of the Ute challenge was good, again it was enough to keep me watching although not terribly funny. It's as though even spontaneous moments on camera come across as scripted.

Anh Do's interview was - again - interesting. It didn't help that he dragged on quite a bit with what was essentially material ripped straight from his stand-up routine.

I think they have begun to find their niche, unfortunately it does lack humour - more Fifth Gear than Top Gear.

You shouldn't jump to conclusions. They could have had a drop-cloth down or anything. It wouldn't have been seen with the angle they were shooting from.

Very true, but there was an article in the local newspaper here about how numerous cars, loaned to topgear for tests (the territory in the reverse camera race was mentioned) came back with bumps and scrapes that went beyond just mistakes. Cars loaned for road tests used in stunts instead. Disgruntled owners and dealers were not impressed, needless to say. I just do not want topgear australia, a show where we get to see these legendary maserati's and ferrari's etc, to take these cars for granted. Here in australia they could be in short supply...so lets show the rest of the world what these cars mean to us, eh?

best ep yet.

james really coming into his own as a presenter... and damn, he can really drive, huh?

enjoyed the ute story - as pointless as it was - i guess that's kinda the point - reckless, revved up fun... at the expense of good taste... i enjoyed it far more than i cringed... nice one...

the maserati was beautiful... i want one.

thought warren did a great job again - but this time containing an interviewee, rather than drawing blood from a stone... ( or a member of cold chisel ), and ahn do's story about being a boat person was amazing...

top job all round. 9

Very true, but there was an article in the local newspaper here about how numerous cars, loaned to topgear for tests (the territory in the reverse camera race was mentioned) came back with bumps and scrapes that went beyond just mistakes. Cars loaned for road tests used in stunts instead. Disgruntled owners and dealers were not impressed, needless to say. I just do not want topgear australia, a show where we get to see these legendary maserati's and ferrari's etc, to take these cars for granted. Here in australia they could be in short supply...so lets show the rest of the world what these cars mean to us, eh?

Yeah, the media wrote stories like that about last series as well. They're full of it. One of the manufacturers they named was Lamborghini, who were supposedly fuming that the car they took to Tassie suffered many thousands of dollars worth of paint damage from stone chips. Yet come episode 1 of this series, Steve was in an even more expensive Lamborghini.

Yeah, the media wrote stories like that about last series as well. They're full of it. One of the manufacturers they named was Lamborghini, who were supposedly fuming that the car they took to Tassie suffered many thousands of dollars worth of paint damage from stone chips. Yet come episode 1 of this series, Steve was in an even more expensive Lamborghini.

obviously lambo has never seen the quality of an aussie road

I'm still deciding if it's a 7 or an 8.

Why it would be an 8:
- the ute piece was pretty good, with some great banter between Waz and Steve, and the odd slightly politically incorrect joke slipping in (Steve and his 'Kiwi Pimp' routine, for starters)
- JM's stunt driving was impressive
- the Maserati was pure horn and Waz did a great job reviewing (I liked the bit with the champagne, I suspect the producers would have taken precautions!)
- Anh Do was an interesting guest (the shouting is most likely due to the poor acoustics of the studio)
- the old car ad was actually pretty good, as was Pizzati ripping the piss out of the 'sensational handling', and yes ... as someone that's owned 4 Sigmas (!), I can confirm that they have no handling at all!

Why it would be a 7:
- blatant product placement/plugs (Warner Bros Movie World, the inflatable VW with the in-studio stunt)
- Anh Do seemed to read more like a comedy routine than a guest at times
- the ute piece was a little too short, but that's just typical TGA for you

I did get some genuine LOL moments, and was absorbed most of the way. It still felt a bit rushed, like there is one too many segments per show. That said, you can feel that the chemistry between the 3 presenters is really starting to get there - each episode of Season 2 is making Season 1 look worse and worse in hindsight.

Last edited:
Liked most of it - 8/10

I agree the the SIABSC could have been way less loud and I wish the "Make your own Ute" segment would have had a point or been a proper challenge.

Loved the Maserati review and the Stunt Driving was interesting (although MW [etc] promotion and SBS's cross-promotion's are starting to get old)

Liked the Sigma ad aswell (although I have fond memories of the car)

Wish they'd do 2 reviews per show and cut back SIABSC & Ads/Challenges to make them fit (That's cut Back, not Out)

I reckon the best part of this show is the part that they seem to neglect more often than not, and that is the genuine chemistry the boys have (esp Steve and Warren). I thought Steve was great in this ep- really funny and warm. Waz, as always, was in his own little world and great (007 wannabe- hehehe!). But James left me cold in this one. At stunt school and in the studio he seemed the most forced of the three. I agree, the Ute challenge had no point but the two of them bouncing off each other and generally having a good time together was great. Old ads are going the way of WWTT- started ok and fizzled out quick. Should really have been a bit of a one off story or the like. Mazzer story was ok- great car and photography but basic story telling. As per the norm for TGA it lacks that extra dimension that TGUK have.
7/10

6/10

Starting to get annoyed by all the Mitsi product placement bullshit.

- Redo the Lancer ad
- Charger ad
- Sigma ad
- James picks a Lancer Evo 10
- MovieWorld with Lancers

And this is ep 3!

If I were VW I'd be making calls.

Something positive.

Warren is really funny.

Last edited: