[02x06] June 15th, 2009

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Last edited:
Great reviews from James on the 370z and G8, but the rest of the show I was a bit underwhelmed. I thought the mower challenge could've been better, but there wasn't much to improve on it really, as the Hilux was incompetent. This week's ad was again trippy, but get something next time that isn't ford. The musical instruments from the parts I must say was quite impressive, but I just wish they hushed their talents a little bit. And the SIABSCs were so so, but they named a crest after HG Nelson, yay!

Overall, not great but not bad. 7/10

As its a season 2 episode it automatically gets a 5 i would say but probably need to settle for a 7 instead of 8 as there does not seem to be much innovation since the first episode which had the surprise factor. The blowing through car parts bit was actually quite enjoyable and a few chuckles with that. The forced humour and personality traits really is the downfall I reckon but James seems the least effected by this and Warren the most effected. I often found I had to force myself to endure some sections and this is disappointing but something I am willing to bear as I really would like to see this show go much further. Anyways not a bad effort again and we shall see from here.

I thought it was a good solid episode. The 370Z and G8 reviews were a real stand out there, James is settling in wonderfully. I guess TGA has it's own agenda now - using cars to solving the world's problems, one at a time.

Next week look especially good, the Fiat 500/Smart FourTwo on unsealed roads/outback should be an interesting test!

Looking forward to next weeks actually the fiat 500 :O

A (very solid) 7 from me.

James' 370Z and G8 reviews were solid efforts, if lacking in some of the detail - i.e. the Nissan 370Z review didn't mention any power figures, and the G8 review didn't give a price when it was on sale in the US.

Even though it was clearly scripted, and some of the dialogue seemed quite wooden, the end result of Morrison's Band piece was actually quite clever and funny.

The SIABSC was arguably the best SBS contractual obligation yet, and I hope the HG Nelson Up And Under corner becomes a permanent fixture - Australia's own Gambon.

The lawnmower challenge was meh. Seemed kind of pointless, and had fuck all to do with cars other than involving the butchering of the Hilux for a cheap joke. This is what dragged the episode down to a 7.

That Ford ad was a classic. The best bit was comparing the safety standards of the early 1970s to those of today (i.e. 6 dudes standing up in the back of a moving ute as if it was the most natural thing in the world to be doing). The whole Nanny State mentality really has sucked the life out of so many things in life, hasn't it?

One of the weakest episodes of S2, but still better than most of S1 ... much of which boils down to James Morrison. Whilst Waz and Steve are both great (Waz's cringeworthy 'dad' jokes + Steve's excitability are actually quite charming), James adds a little more sophistication into the mix without alienating the average Aussie.

I really hope this makes it to S3, as the TGA3 - given more latitude to be themselves - promise to be a great combination in their own right, and should be able to move well away from being in the shadow of their more famous UK counterparts.

Last edited:
an up and down episode for me.

there were great moments in there... but they were fewer and further between than the standard they have set for themselves this series... the 370Z review was good, nice shots and information... the traction control thing was pretty cool... would have liked to have seen the 350Z race the 370Z...

the G8 story was also good... if a bit light on details... but had some very funny moments...

the lawnmower challenge seemed forced, even for top gear... i know the challenges are pointless fun, but this didn't seem to focus on the car side of things nearly enough... and once warren's truck kept breaking down, it just became an ad for an stupidly priced ride-on mower... 24K???? insane.

amanda and jonesy were decent, if pretty clueless... but there were some funny bits there... i'm still impressed by the interview abilities of warren brown... he is natural and funny... without any of the painful cringe factor that was charlie cox...

not a bad episode on the whole... but too patchy to be great...

looking forward to next week...

7.5... rounded up to an 8. ( just )

8, because I was underwhelmed by the mower challenge. As with so many things TGA, it just felt rushed an unfinished. They could have spent more time on showing how they converted the Hilux to a mower...I don't know, maybe there's nothing more they could have done, but it was all a bit anticlimactic. Maybe an overhead shot of the two paddocks to compare the guys progress would have been useful.

The G8 review was quite interesting, it was pretty funny seeing all the American people being that shocked that Australia can actually build cars.

The 370Z review was excellent, beautifully shot and informative. It was cool to see the comparisons between traction control on and off as well. I'd like them to chuck the 350Z around the track for comparison.

SIABSC was pretty funny, I have no idea who the dude is but I like Amanda Keller and she tends to be good value in an interview. My sister will be spewing when she watches it because Amanda drives her dream car and doesn't even know what it is...

The ad thing is getting old, although in my music geekery I also noticed the change in meter during the song, that was quite a weird device to use if you want to make a catchy jingle because you're bopping along and then suddenly you're off beat...but I digress. The musical challenge was hilarious. James' brother John really is a drummer (and a damn good one at that) and they do play together and they bag each other out heaps. Poor John for not having national TV as a vehicle to hurl insults at his brother :lol:

Looking forward to next week...reading James Morrison's Twitter he just drove the Nissan GTR yesterday so not sure whether that's part of next week's story.

The G8 review was quite interesting, it was pretty funny seeing all the American people being that shocked that Australia can actually build cars.
Considering our engineering is limited to making washing lines that rotate, I don't blame them.

Episode didn't quite reach the standards of last week. James' 370Z review was really good, especially how he had the 350Z for comparison, didn't see much point in the G8 thing though. The mower thing was kinda pointless, the way I'd have done it was to get Steve to turn a lawnmower into a car (or something slightly like a car, add a roof or something) for the amount Warren made the car into a lawnmower and do a series of tests to see which one does each task best. The other parts of the episode were decent, nothing special, though the music bit was funny in parts, though he kinda cheated by bringing out funnels and those mouthpieces (you can make a decent tune on just one of those if you are good enough, then the pipes were just amplifying it).

Steve on the massively expensive lawnmower: "It does 3 hectares per hour!"

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al6ndfn-Bic[/YOUTUBE]

Put it in H!

I gave it a 7.

I agree the 370Z and G8 reviews were solid. It was cool they had the Barry's Speed Shop folks on the G8 interview, considering they take old 60's and 70's cars and turn them into "modern" muscle cars with updated technology - which the latest GTO and G8 are.

The... problem...with Top Gear Australia is that they take these challenges seriously. There is very little "cocking about" which is what makes Top Gear UK so hilarious and enjoyable. Compare the Hilux lawnmower build compared to the Hilux "Toyboata" build. In the former, it's a straightforward build. In the latter, it was a collection of laughs and pratfalls. Same with the actual challenge. They just went and cut grass. Compare that to TGUK's plowing a field to grow rapeseed.

Still, it's better than last series, so :tvhappy:

I gave an 8.

The 370Z had a wierd edit. Just as I thought the story was finished there was a bit more for conclusion that wasnt needed in the actual story and could have been done in the studio.

The G8 was good but I thought they could have done a lot mroe with it especially the Chaser-Like vox-pop of Americans.

The mowing thing was pointless and very dissapointing TBH.

The Classic ad was another "classic"

The SIABSC was pretty bad IMO but maybe thats becuase I dont like Amanda Keller and HG Nelson was a riot laugh last week. Also Kellers wife is majorly whipped. Get some balls son. No wonder she said you two have no sex!

The Musical piece was pretty good but I hope they dont start to rely on it as having it regularly or even semi-regularly as a challenge or bit part in the show. Of course James saying soemthing musical like he did in the Classic add is OK.

Also.... maybe they could also just go to the break after a segment instead of throwing to one. It just seems weird.

8 from me. Not quite at last week's standard, but still very enjoyable. I think the interview for SIABSC is still too long, but at least it hasn't been flat the last couple of weeks. The naming of "HG's Up & Under" was a good move. I would've liked to have seen the roles reversed in the challenge - Steve would've had a go at throwing the ute around.

Windy day on the track - they got a fairly decent run with the wind (minus the bus stop), but had a huge head wind down the big straight. I wonder how much difference it made to the overall times?

I have to say, I love the G8, and the Commodore, but his claim about it being the most powerful Pontiac ever isn't completely honest. You have to remember that many of the engine options available in GTO's and Catalinas in the 60's were underrated in hp values in order to lower the insurance on them. A few of these (421 SD, 400 Ram Air IV) were very close to 415 bhp, if not over. And they definitly had more torque, which is the business...

Not a complaint, just a little niggle. I loved the episode, 'specially the 370Z!

9/10

Nudging 8 for me. I liked the 370z review, as did the SIABSC because amanda keller is relatively funny, unlike the bloke next to her who seemed as deadpan as ian moss.

Mower challenge would've been funnier if Warren sabotaged Steve's ride on mower and it was like there is still a huge leash on them. In studio effort was pretty good even if it was a bit scripted with the authentic screwing around.

Overall, solid, but not as good as last week. Lost points for the mower challenge and the other bloke in SIABSC.

The G8 segment was too short, they came all the way to the US they should've at least compared it to the Challenger or someting.

370Z review, now that's a great review. Have some good driving impressions, and finish with some drifting at the track.

The lawn mower challenge, it's pretty boring, but it's alright I guess. They need to have challengers with all 3 hosts involved.

Hi, does somebody know where this place is, and it is called?

http://img14.imageshack.**/img14/6706/sanstitreobr.jpg

Hi, does somebody know where this place is, and it is called?

http://img14.imageshack.**/img14/6706/sanstitreobr.jpg

Well, lets see....now, im not from down there but id guess its on the coast and its called......a road! sorry, just picking, no idea.:p