[02x12] March 6th, 2012

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Please stay on-topic. :)

Overall pretty good, some really nice scenery and cinematography, and some rather amusing moments. Nothing especially memorable, though.

Would have given it a 7, but no BSSC = 8.

Solid episode and I like that they've shortened the after-commercial recaps. They also seemed to use them to show fresh footage which is nice -- cool stuff showing them making progress but vocals recapping what people might have missed. Works well.

Felt like the Bolivia and Vietnam specials mixed together with an old west pioneer twist. I liked it!
Some pretty amusing moments and beautiful scenery. However, I can't shake the feeling that it could have been better if they didn't have to edit it so much to make room for commercials.

Overall, it was an entertaining episode.

8/10

Felt like the Bolivia and Vietnam specials mixed together with an old west pioneer twist. I liked it!
Some pretty amusing moments and beautiful scenery. However, I can't shake the feeling that it could have been better if they didn't have to edit it so much to make room for commercials.

Overall, it was an entertaining episode.

8/10

exactly what i was thinking. i gave it a 9. had an "edge of your seat" element like the Bolivia Special. totally was wrong on who had what minivan and im sure i wasn't the only one.

Anyone noticed for the amphibious car challenge, they switched out Adam's '01 Town and Country for an older previous generation model?

I noticed the different steering wheel but didn't make the connection at first. I wonder why they did that, and why they didn't think car enthusiasts wouldn't notice.

Still, it was a really entertaining and well put together episode. I laughed several times and it felt natural. Definitely one I'll watch again.

Last edited:
Anyone noticed for the amphibious car challenge, they switched out Adam's '01 Town and Country for an older previous generation model?

They probably prepared the cars before hand since it took a while and they wanted them ready.

I didn't notice. :?

Last edited:
I gave it an 8. Found myself laughing out loud a few times. Rut's "paddle van" was pretty ingenious(?), too.

Yeah, I noticed the older model thing too. This whole episode was not what I was expecting. I was expecting a really epic trip like Season 1's Alaska special. It was a good episode, but I really didn't like how they switched out Adam's van in the end (I'd assume that they switched out all three, but I only noticed Adam's because my mom drives a 2000 Caravan with the same interior design).

EDIT: Tanner's was switched too, not sure about Rutledge's.

EDIT THE SEQUEL: It also looks like they filmed the intro segment (where they show their vans and argue about them before they do the challenges) AFTER they did the van curling challenge, as Rutledge's van was not dented in the front when they went to the ice rink.

Last edited:
So why is it, four episodes into the 3rd season, that the torrent creators are still getting the Season / Episode notations wrong? WTF?

While it's a solid episode in and of itself I really do think they should mix it up a little bit, I like challenges but one each and every every week gets a bit much and generally results in below par "been there, done that" pretty quickly.

I didn't notice the switch until you guys mentioned it... :?

So why is it, four episodes into the 3rd season, that the torrent creators are still getting the Season / Episode notations wrong? WTF?

Because this is not a new season. History noted when they announced the new episodes a while ago that they will be a continuation of season 2.

Why they did that? I don't know. It's a little strange, but hey, whatever floats their boat.

Good, 9 for me. Really helps to not have BSSC and review. This made it feel more like a TGUK show, with the segement being longer.

i like this episode, and the whole new season with challenges
i only wish they had a money limit, like 1500$ for the minivans
that would be a lot more interesting

My problem with this episode stemmed from the fact that I had a clear rooting interest. I'm a Mopar guy at heart, don't like Astros, and owned a Failstar for a year and a half (not a good experience), so I was cheering for the T&C from the start. For a Cheap Car Challenge like this, you really want to be able to root for all the cars to make it. That's what made Alaska so good.

That being said, this was well-paced, well-edited (except for the obvious car switches), and you can feel the fact that the boys now have that ineffable quality called Chemistry happening. This demi-season, I think, is changing a lot of people's minds about TGUS.

ETA: I owned a 1990 Dodge Shadow that occasionally exhibited the same electrical infidelity as the T&C. Pulling the negative terminal off the battery for fifteen seconds or so invariably reset the brain-dead Mopar computer, and everything would be fine until the next time the computer decided to misbehave. Tanner under the hood with a pair of pliers took me back. I miss that Shadow.

Last edited:
Check the front of the Chevy and Chrysler at 10:45. That is called sh*t editing. Where did the winches and auxiliary come from in the middle of race?

Check the front of the Chevy and Chrysler at 10:45. That is called sh*t editing. Where did the winches and auxiliary come from in the middle of race?

They stated in the voice-over before that that they installed winches and better tires. And you can say "shit" here.