Votes: 15 12.4%

Votes: 7 5.8%

Votes: 3 2.5%

Votes: 1 0.8%

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
I thought it was overall pretty brilliant, to be honest, but I am sure part of that is because Jezza, James and Hamster were present and the whole feel was more TGUK with the level of "cocking about".

I like the two new guys and they seem to have chemistry right off the bat.

Hopefully when they're on their own come the 19th, things will stay as good.

8. Good, but not great. Warren needs to come back but I won't hold my breath. The blokes seem to genuinely enjoy themselves, that should equate to some good chemistry. I'll hold off on my final judgement until the 3rd series is over.

I must confess, i found the Aussie trio more entertaining, more natural, less forced and generally more enjoyable than the UK three.

It has been quite some time since the Clarkson, Hammond and May seemed to be having this amount of fun in front of the camera... i think we would have to go back to the Botswana road trip.

That is a good point. I have to admit it seemed like the boys were just mailing it in, whereas the Aussie trio were (expectedly) trying to establish themselves. Frankly, I look forward to their work on TGA, there's some good chemistry there. But if this is any guide, Andy W. is right when he said we are closer to the end than the beginning.

I didnt mind the episode, 7/10.

I really, really, really hated the

'We were beating the Stig, oh I mean James! hehe'

Comment every single time they cut to the Stig.

I counted 7 times just in the Rally Race.

Guys, we got the joke the first time.

No I agree with you, it was tedious to watch. Did they really need to do the "Let's drive through and animal park and forcibly stop in cars" twice? They might as well have done a "Let's drive into a car wash in convertibles with the roof down and forcibly stop". LOL we're getting wet!

I liked parts but overall it seemed like they werent really trying.
e.g. If youre going to do a segment about classic UK cars and have an eType, its should be a 'given' that the driver would be dressed up like Austen Powers. If you want people to watch youre gonna need to give it some life, there was little spark.
I give it a wavering 6 but I hope they bring in a solid 9 next ep.

(They) are allowed three digital channels. They each get two in SD and one in HD, but until the switchover is complete, the law requires that each network's main channel (which TGA is on) be in SD. Until last weekend Nine was using its HD channel to simulcast their main service in HD, but now they have launched GEM, their third channel.

This penny has just dropped. Ch9 have put all their HD eggs in the 'chick' basket with Gem, so we'll never see TopGear UK or AU in HD in the foreseeable future. Bad call IMHO.

Ch10 have the freedom to simulcast 'blokey' content on 10 and OneHD without a conflict of demographic and 7 have gone fully testosterone with 7 Mate in HD. So, 7 simulcasting Bathurst, FifthGear and footy in both HD and SD is a no-brainer.

It's only Ch9 that have painted themselves into a gender HD/SD corner with Gem, which has some pretty 'soft' and boring content to be honest.

Hmmm. This will be interesting. It may be a decision Ch9 regret.

They've already shown that they are willing to break with GEM's target audience if they want to show something in HD badly enough.

They showed the NRL Grand Final on GEM.

WHICH THE DRAGONS WON !!!!!!!!!!!

They've already shown that they are willing to break with GEM's target audience if they want to show something in HD badly enough.

They showed the NRL Grand Final on GEM.

For those out there that are just bashing Nine cause they don't like NINE, Start to understand the Laws in Australia!!

All HD Channels in australia are required by Law, from the Australian Government to show a certain amount of SPORT (NRL GRAND FINAL), in HD! There is a percentage of sport that needs to be shown. That is why Channel 10 has set up ONE HD to cover themselves, and Seven will show the Oz Open in HD.

In regards to demongraphics, GEM stands for General Entertainment and Movies! Nine like Seven or Ten would only show Top Gear on there SD channels cause thats where the ratings are. SBS yes would have shown it on HD, however when they set there 3rd channel up in the next few months, Top Gear would have been shown in SD.

So before putting blame to Nine read the rules and regulations that are set by the Australian Government!!

Ch10 have the freedom to simulcast 'blokey' content on 10 and OneHD without a conflict of demographic and 7 have gone fully testosterone with 7 Mate in HD. So, 7 simulcasting Bathurst, FifthGear and footy in both HD and SD is a no-brainer.

and BATHURST 1000 this YEAR is only going to be shown in SD!!! ON SEVEN. 7mate has Magnum P.I. and old shows like that. So yeah a no-brainer mate....

and BATHURST 1000 this YEAR is only going to be shown in SD!!! ON SEVEN. So yeah a no-brainer mate....

Really? That's plain dopey. They just seem to be shooting themselves in the foot everywhere you look. All the old 4:3 shit is being broadcast on the HD channels and the first-run HD stuff in shown in SD.

Way to get the audience to embrace the glory of the new medium. Not.

The other thing is, they'll all come crying when the ratings die in the arse.

Oh, and I didn't know GEM was an acronym (shouldn't it be GEAM?). Learn something every day.

What does 'mate' stand for?

BTW, I don't hate Ch9. I just don't like having a shiny new HD TV and having to watch new HD content in SD.

^ When the word and is used in a phrase, the acronym never uses the letter.

Start to understand the Laws in Australia!!
I suggest you do the same.

There is no HD sport requirement - there are two things you are mixing up - the Anti-Siphoning rules that force sport to be shown on FTA TV and not on digital multichannels only, and the HD Quota, which is just 1040 hours a year of anything filmed in HD (repeats don't count, upconverts count on ABC/SBS). The only link is that hours of HD sport fill up that quota quickly - and if you're GEM showing 20s movies then you need all the HD you can get.

Top Gear Australia is being produced in SD. They replayed it on Nine in Melbourne after the Grand Final before it returned to GEM programming, so we aren't actually missing out here.

Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Service
Time And Relative Dimention In Space

Radar: Radio Detection And Ranging.

On topic: I can only imagine TG was actually shot and edited in HD and probably just exported out to SD for the broadcast dub, so I do hope they re-encode and show a version in HD at some stage.

:)

EDIT: Called Ch9 here in SA and the programming guy said a few interesting things.
* GEM target market is Women 35+ - So TG won't be shown in HD on there.
* TGUK is supplied from the BBC in SD - I'm sure they've shown it here in HD before.
* TGA is shot in SD, so no point showing it on GEM anyway.

I find that last one hard to believe. Big production companies like Freehand will always buy or hire the latest gear, and that's hi-def. Even the prosumer stuff is 1080i 24mb/s these days.
I simply can't see a high profile production crew shooting on standard def cameras. It doesn't make any sense.

EDIT 2: And I'm pretty sure there's no native widescreen 16:9 SD resolution.

Last edited:
I thought the first things all Australians did upon arriving to the UK was go to South Wimbledon and behave like brits in Ibiza.

Just like the fukcing aussies living near me (tonight have set up a disco on the flat roof outside their flat..)

(ps i think all aussies in the UK should be banned from owning any music equipment other than a Ipod, banned from owning/processing alcohol other than on licensed premisses, not allowed outside space)

Last edited:
Enjoyed it very much, it seemed as though both the TG UK and the rehashed TG Aus had some good fun in front of a camera, which is always a good thing. I also quite liked Warren, but the new guys seem to be naturally funny, so we'll see where it goes.

But my biggest point - the rally overtake was f*cking awesome! :driving:

I'm liking this version of top gear australia . to me , it represents the spirit of what an automotive entertainment show should be all about . i also like how they have adopted the concept but made it their own take on the way to do the show . not just by formula .

btw , i found it interesting that steve pizzati got emotional @35:45 . that's not a criticizm , just an observation . i have noticed that on occasion on top gear uk too (james driving the bugatti veyron at top speed on that test track in germany , jeremy at the end of that race in the biodiesel powered bmw, for example). i can understand the emotions of being enabled to reach such a new and intense watershed moment in life .