[03x01] October 19th, 2010

[03x01] October 19th, 2010

• Total voters
Spoilered for those who haven't seen the ep yet.

So, at the end, they ask for people to send in stickers. Where the hell was that store that was set up to sell the shirts and stuffs? I remember there being stickers for here at some point, but I would order them every kind of sticker available in hopes that they would have the awesomeness to put it on.

Edit: need moar of deez: https://pic.armedcats.net/m/mc/mclightning95/2009/10/11/sticker.JPG

Last edited:
Have to say, I think this is a solid season. The cast seems to have real chemistry and it seems a bit more "matured" of a show. The worries I originally had have been dispelled.

Absolutely loved it. Ramming each other was a bit unnecessary but as a whole the damn thing worked. 9.

I was somewhat disappointed by this. First of all, they seem to have fallen into the "reality TV" trap of restating the premise of the show after every ad break. I think they mentioned that they were driving to Lake Eyre six or seven times. If your audience can't remember what the program is about after a three minute ad break, they probably need reminding on how to breathe. There is no point having ads at all, 'cause the audience will be too stupid to remember them the next time they go shopping. Just cycle "Inhale" and Exhale" as captions on the bottom of the screen.

Restating the show/segment's premise after every ad break is insulting and patronizing. I thought the Top Gear franchise was better than that.

Restating the show/segment's premise after every ad break is insulting and patronizing.

Those Customs/Police shows are quite annoying, showing a rotation of small snippets of several people's fates, with each jump to the next person involving replaying half the "story so far". The worst offender is that 'breath analysis' show, where they roll the numbers for a few seconds before fading to commercial, only to later reintroduce the person, the situation, then go through the number roll sequence again.

Unfortunately it must be a winning formula, since it's becoming increasingly common.

Those Customs/Police shows are quite annoying, showing a rotation of small snippets of several people's fates, with each jump to the next person involving replaying half the "story so far". The worst offender is that 'breath analysis' show, where they roll the numbers for a few seconds before fading to commercial, only to later reintroduce the person, the situation, then go through the number roll sequence again.

Unfortunately it must be a winning formula, since it's becoming increasingly common.

It's because your typical mouth-breathing Australian commercial TV viewer has the attention span of a goldfish. That's why they keep jumping between items on these reality/observational shows every 20 seconds or so. Compare Motorway Patrol (NZ) with Seven's Highway Patrol and you'll see what I mean: the Kiwis can tell one story from start to finish before moving onto the next one, Aussies can't (or won't). It's frustrating.

I thought this was better than series one and two. The Lake Eyre trip was a bit long and boring, but there was at least some point to it (retracing the trip by that bloke in the 70's) .. this was lacking from the "challenges" in the previous series. The main problem I see is the presenters. They are all a bit too blokey, but I wouldn't get rid of Shane .. he is great.

8/10

It's been a long while since I last watched an episode of TopGear Australia. The last episode I watched a couple of the guys were driving a tractor thing in the city and tried to parallel park it and crunched into a Saab, iirc. I stopped watching after that. Staged reality TV bores the living shit out of me. Either make it all fake, so I can suspend disbelief, or just keep it real. Which is what I liked about the Lake Eyre centerpiece of this episode. Some say it's boring because nothing horrible happened along the way, but I actually like that. It's annoying when they fake all sorts of BS just for ratings. TG UK does that waaaayyy too often. Just keep it real. Although it did bug me when they started bumping into eachother during the drag race. I hate seeing old cars in decent condition get trashed like that. Buy a rusted hulk to ruin if that's all you're going to do with it.

I think the test track is too complicated. I have a hard time figuring out where the car is at any given time because of it. The lack of decent camera angles doesn't help things. It seems like more of a challenge/obstacle course than a racing track. And the "reasonably priced car" is a bit odd. I love it, no doubt, but I don't think it's going to work well. I mean, how long will the car need to last for the new Lap Record board to get full of names? I don't think it will happen. They'll have to go out and buy at least a few more of those utes as backups.

Didn't realised we'd started again,

Just the in-studio parts, not the fat guy or Steve but the other bloke is kinda annoying always having to say something.
Why Shane?

Road-trip was great... the race was badly edited.

Ok all the in-studio stuff is bad. It needs canned laughter, it's like a morgue.

Last edited:
Painful.

I really liked Warren and feel like TGAus is missing something without him.

The roadtrip was terrible. Nothing happened! Some nice scenery and that's about it. I don't want to toot my own horn too much but over 3 days in California we came up with a ton of different things to do other than "drive around" and "take a wrong turn." They didn't even bother to do a bit where they drove each other's cars! So simple, so obvious, yet pretty much guaranteed to get a few good lines and they didn't even bother. We were a bunch of amateurs doing a fan vid and these guys have a whole crew and the Top Gear brand itself yet this was flat boring to watch.

After the Ashes special being pretty decent, I watched this episode to see how the new hosts would do on their home turf. When I feel like I could do (and have done) better myself, it's very disappointing. I really did want this to be good but it just isn't.

I like Top gear Australia with the new presenters;Shane is funny as hell.
we've actually got machines that are doing it now,we can lend you some
James:hang on a minute,did you crush an Austin Allegro? -Yes. -Thanks! :)))))))))))
3 muscle cars:niiice!