Votes: 16 26.7%

Votes: 8 13.3%

Votes: 8 13.3%

Votes: 2 3.3%

Votes: 3 5.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Improved over episode one, but still needs work.

Just quickly, about the hill climb. What was the point of doing that if you are not going to time each of the "cars". What is a fast time? Who "won" (probably obvious, but tell us anyway)? If you are going to close a road and run it as a rally stage, at least make it a race against the clock. They may as well have done the thing in Toyotas from the local Avis rentals. Nice visuals, but poor substance.

I liked the V8 Supercar bit. I'm really starting to warm to Ewen as a presenter.

AussieMike?

Welcome to FinalGear! :D

Last edited:
Improved over episode one, but still needs work.

Just quickly, about the hill climb. What was the point of doing that if you are not going to time each of the "cars". What is a fast time? Who "won" (probably obvious, but tell us anyway)? If you are going to close a road and run it as a rally stage, at least make it a race against the clock. They may as well have done the thing in Toyotas from the local Avis rentals. Nice visuals, but poor substance.

I liked the V8 Supercar bit. I'm really starting to warm to Ewen as a presenter.

I agree. The hill climb seemed meaningless because they are not timing the cars. We know the ATV would probably win, but it's still nice to see the difference. Also, they should've told us more about the cars. Just a line that says they have the engine from the WRX isn't enough. What about the drivetrain? Are they AWD? Even cost or some other tidbits.

The V8 Supercar segment is ok, it's pretty cool to drive that car on the street for sure, but they really didn't need to stage so many "cock ups". We know it's hard to drive a racecar on the street, so they should just film it and let things happen naturally.

The Corvette segment sucked! Anyone would know that the Z06 and ZR1 are geared for 0-60mph runs where you don't need to shift. He should've spend the time reviewing other aspects of the car. Even though it's got more HP and maybe even better handling than the 599, just from watching the review, I'm totally not convinced that it's a better car. Especially when TGUK and FG gave very positive reviews for the 599.

I really don't know why they changed hosts, I felt the previews hosts are much better at presenting then the two new guys (still don't remember their names yet). Overall 7/10 by TGA standards, but probably 5/10 if this is TGUK. I really don't think TG should've franchised out their name, it dilutes the brand. This is not like How Whats to be Millionair or Cash Cab where the format is the focus and the presenters are not important. Those type of shows can easily be franchised out. This is like if Cirque Du Soleil is licensing other people to just make circus shows with their name. The same creative force that made those shows famous is just not there. The TG brand is built on the presenters' unique chemistry and style, it's going to be hard to find 3 people that works together just as well as the TGUK trio. Maybe they think TG is dying so they'll milk it as much as they can before retiring. But these spin offs (TGA and TGR) are definitely not up to the TG standard.

I actually enjoyed most of it. The standout bit for me was beleive it or not the Corvette review. It had me cracking up when he was trying to get it to 100 under 5 seconds when it said it could do it in 3.3. I loved it how he just went "aaaaa BULLSHIT". And then he read the manual and was so shocked by his time.
I did like the hill climb and when they said "the Stug" i just cracked up because that is how a NZer would say it. The cricketer was meh. The V8 super car would have been better if it would have been a Holden. Because everyone knows that Holden is better.
And it was funny the first couple of times how he said "ya pretzel" but then at the end I felt like I was left out of a joke or something, as if it ment something different. But thats just me.
Overall a 8.5/10 and it has definatly improved. I see them getting quite good in later series.

Liked that one. Love the V8 and Frosty's lap. Real shame they didn't to a tyre change some where along the route, that would have made a good segement, great.

Doing the hillclimb was good, because they are beginning to use the local landscape better.

That Ute is a great idea. Maybe TGUK should try using an old Rover or MG.

Hope it keeps improving.

Last edited:
Liked the hillclimb bit, but it seemed almost a waste of a trip. Why not have the guys commuting in their wacky contraptions to the destination? It really lacked a lot of spit and polish

V8 Supercar was good, but there wasn't enough of a challenge for Ewen when he was driving it on the track. It feels like they had to cut it down and wrap it up because a commericial was coming...

News was utterly useless. Let's get something topical! I know it's been filmed way in advanced, but that news segment was a waste of time. Again, we could have spent more time with the V8 Supercar...

Speaking of the studio, Shane needs to stop acting so seriously. Guys. Have some fun. All of the studio bits feel disjointed. What happened to the banter from Season Two? I've rewatched Season Two and it honestly feels like the show was abondoned and started from scratch all over again. Fucking Nien, should have left SBS to it instead of boganising and ruining what was turning out to be an awesome show...

/bitter

.... and when they said "the Stug" i just cracked up because that is how a NZer would say it.

Bollocks.... just not true. Though the Stig's shoe's were spot on. :)

The V8 super car would have been better if it would have been a Holden. Because everyone knows that Holden is better.
..... and it has definatly improved. I see them getting quite good in later series.

Now your talking sense.

I like the show i gave it an 8 because i felt they fell a little short of the mark in every section.

When i saw the hillclimb I got sooooooooo excited. Then i saw WRX yes very good then the other 2 cars... Christ it would have been so good if they pick a better selection and had a proper race.

The V8 thing on the road would have been nice if they did it at 2am on empty streets..

The Vette bit made me chuckle and the final spat with the skinny guy say "oh so you tested vettes best handling car just doing straight lines.." hehe

Here's a question, if Nein showed the ep again as an 'encore' or a 'catchup', would you watch it again?

I probably would, but not all of it. And the ads would shit me.

The producers still don't know how to wrap a segment as a story, but I think that's like trying to teach a pig how to play piano. It just ain't in their skill set.

Ref: Stig versus Stug. I always thought the NZ vowel was simply deleted. Eg: Stg.

:)

i disagreed with the host saying the v8sc was a FALCON, just modded up... from what i understand its polar opposites

im really trying to like the show, cause its tg, but like the russian failure from a while back its somewhat painful to watch. presenters seem to have little chemistry and it just feels like they are trying to be like tg uk too much and haven?t really done anything to give it their own spin, apart from the sprinkles of aussie culture?idk not gonna keep watching if its a struggle to do so?which it currently is. why don?t the beeb just make more tg uk episodes and air them worldwide - i mean thats what we all really want anyways!

8/10 Like is said last week, its has plenty of potential. that was the first time i have just had a good time watching TG Aus. i smiled and laughed.

This was an improvement on last week.

No warnie is a big thumbs up!

The V8 SC thing was good - it really showed how far we have come since it was a touring car championship (i.e. you could drive your race car to the track, race, then drive home). You could almost not call it a car once it gets off the track :)

Annoyances
- Steve saying "Interweb" - from Jeremy that sounds natural - from Steve it just sounded wrong.
- Pretzel - ok Kenny, this is your favourite expletive - get over it!

Personally, TGA just doesn't work for me. I liked the first EP this season, but I think only because the UK guys were in it.

This one I just skipped through most of it, not interested in V* taxis, not interested in utes, the hill climb seemed without a premise, would have loved to have seen some of the scenery and a bit of history. Even the news, the guy with the BBQ on the bike, funny, but that was in the last season of TGUK, which ch9 have already shown us???

Each to there own, I think I'll wait for TGUK to return.

Good show, except the filming was such shit. Why was it that in every shot I could see the crew or chase cars etc. that's really low quality production. They should fire the director of photography.

Good show, except the filming was such shit. Why was it that in every shot I could see the crew or chase cars etc. that's really low quality production. They should fire the director of photography.

What he said, and they should fire Shane for making such a shit zr1 review.

Fire the editor! Why would they even choose to use that shot? Bit of communication goes a long way - "Hey chase car, we're doing an expensive helicopter shot... move the fuck out of the way!"

The more I think about the way the show is panning out, the more I think it would be universally praised if simply renamed 'Fifth Gear Australia'.

The show isn't that bad, the name is just wrong.

Last edited:
Yep, the whole thing seemed disjointed again.

The V8 Supercar commute was interesting, and even though Ewen seemed a little wooden, I'm beginning to warm to him a bit.

I was impressed with Shane ad-libbing during SIARPC. Hopefully the producers learned something from this: the guys are capable of thinking on their feet and being quite amusing when they're not tightly scripted. The heavily scripted stuff is just awful, and it shows ... which leads me to the Corvette review. I didn't like it.

The hillclimb was OK, although the NZ jokes were too obvious and very bogan. Indeed, the whole show has been clearly dumbed down to appeal to the short attention span of the typical Nein viewer. It also makes me appreciate the brilliant job SBS did with TGA, despite the fact that SBS had significantly less funds to play with than Nein.

5/10. I'm not pining as hard for Waz this week, but I'm still underwhelmed. At least there was no Shane Warne to fuck things up this week, so that's something.

Last edited: