[03x04] - February 1, 2019 - Pick Up, Put Downs

I’ve seen this episode and I’d rate it a...

Votes: 2 4.2%

Votes: 3 6.3%

Votes: 5 10.4%

Votes: 6 12.5%

Votes: 7 14.6%

Votes: 8 16.7%

Votes: 8 16.7%

Votes: 7 14.6%

Votes: 1 2.1%

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
It was a middle of the road episode. I wish they would have integrated a bit more real info on the trucks during the silly bits, but not bad. They've always had scripted bits, I don't understand why people continue to complain about something that has always been part of the show.

It was a middle of the road episode. I wish they would have integrated a bit more real info on the trucks during the silly bits, but not bad. They've always had scripted bits, I don't understand why people continue to complain about something that has always been part of the show.

Agreed! After riding with ninjacoco on the nurburgring a few times and through the lovely countryside from ring to campsite, I was curious what the 3 old men would make of it. Sadly, that never came. :(

So, I will think of it as the most track-able truck on the road today. :D

I don't think people are complaining so much about having scripted stuff, it's the quality or lack of quality in the scripting that is more of a concern.

The Jag review was a case in point, most people liked it but we all know it was still scripted. Like nearly everyone else, I think the Jag saved the episode from being a disaster. 6/10 (4/10 without the Jag).

What is sad is the fact that with the budget they've got they don't seem to be making the effort to produce a quality product. With all their combined experience, over 60 years if you include Wilman, they have no excuse for such shoddy offerings.

Wilman went on record many years ago and said that "everything you see on Top Gear is real, it's just not necessarily true". I get that there are limitations, a shooting script, time constraints and so on but the cracks just seem to be getting wider.

Hammond and Clarkson dicing for the lead? A 5 year old could tell you they were driving in circles around a field over their own tyre tracks.
Using automatic weapons in Wales? Not a hope in hell under UK firearms rules.

Clarkson used to have sleepless nights fine tuning scripts and ideas to ensure they were putting out the best efforts. On the basis of current showings he is getting a lot of early nights.

A two from me.
Bloody hell that was awful.
When the 1st bit of the pickup film was over I thought what in the actual f was the point of that. Couldn't make heads or tails of it but was glad it was over... Little did I know, it was the main bloody film. Needless to say, its second half didn't change my mind.

TG was never exclusively about the laughs for me. It was about the writing, the banter, the awe-inspiring cinematography, the originality, and so on.
It's no surprise that these episodes that try to constantly keep us giggling fail miserably overall and leave a nauseating aftertaste.
It really felt, as someone has already pointed out, like it was for primary-age children.

I genuinely felt like screaming: WHAT ARE THEY DOING???!!!! at one point.

I was just casting my vote (4 - mostly dull) as the show was ending... then the boring, predictable, scripted, fake idiocy of Clarkson "shooting up the firing range" made me go back and re-cast as a 3.

The Jaguar Project 8 was my highlight. The editing was pretty sweet and the car itself is mad. I don't know of any other sports saloon that looks like a BTCC race car right from the factory. The only thing that gets closest is maybe that Holden HSV GTS special edition that came with a bodykit and spoiler (sorry I forgot the name).

The pickup truck challenge was good at some points and not good in others. The starting was a bit cringe but I did actually laugh when Jeremy blew the generator with the water hose and the vegetables flying into James's face. The other good bit was the race to the helicopter. This part was surprisingly good and even though I saw the ending coming from a mile away, I did laugh when James was explaining there are no cheap helicopters. The statue bit was also funny till they got to Hammond, which was not funny. The remaining challenges were okay but again they felt unnecessary and they can definitely do better than that.

I realised yesterday evening that this episode makes a lot more sense if you watch it slightly drunk after a long day.

For that reason, I give it an 8/10. On any other occasion... well, I’ll just not think about it.