[03x14] March 19th, 2013

[03x14] March 19th, 2013

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
worst episode ever to be labeled as top gear...gave it 10 for those amazing mountain scenery..and -9 for choosing that second hand rr sport and not the vogue model (a proper off-roading range rover), and those two american suvs who aren't really suvs..

Thought it was great! The boys have really come into their own personality-wise. Just seeing them goof on each other at the top of the mountain had me in tears. Only bit that seemed off was the picnic scene. Poor RR, didn't really help their reliability reputation. However, when it was working it did what we expect of a Range Rover.

Beautiful scenery, damaged Cadillac from a challenge instead of played out bumping into each other jokes, and genuine laughs. Gave it a 10.

those two american suvs who aren't really suvs
I know right, they are compacts. :rolleyes:

Really good ep! As mentioned, picnic part felt forced, but all the rest was great! Amazed with the offroad capabilities of the Caddie, I thought that thing would shit its pants at the first sight of a non-tarmac surface :eek:

(BTW, I was hoping to see a Hummer H3 in this challenge, instead of a Cherokee... oh well)

PS: As tasty as that french toast mountain looked, I think Rut should try harder with the challenges, he gives up too easily >.>

Ok, so to the complaint about the Ranger Rover Sport. Yeah it would have been nice to use a regular Range Rover Supercharged instead of the sport, but that would have priced it right out of the game. That car is not even in the same category as the others.
While the SRT8 has some cool factor in the American market, it dumps the SUV title when it gets lowered and all sported out. It is just a red light machine now. I don't know why in the world the Lingenfelt was included. That really makes no sense to me. I really quite liked the show over all. It was nice to see that ride height makes a huge difference in snow with the Caddy making it much further than the low Jeep.

Gave it 9.

Adam Ferarra might be the only person on the planet willing to take the biggest Cadillac Escalade on a challenge, like this. Hats off to him for cracking the front bumper. Goes to show no car is safe if he drives it more than six feet.

Gave it a 10. Thought it was ridiculously entertaining, even moreso than TGUK's African Special (I'm just going to have to woman up and admit to myself that I've somehow grown to prefer the US version to the original).

7.5 rounded to 8. that was entertaining!

for the last challenge.

i wasnt surprised by the srt's performance,but that whale of a caddy's? woah!

8/10 - a solid episode only 2 dissapointments:

1) The clich?s really aren't needed, please stop trying to script them in before you turn this show into a clown show.

2) Having a Lexus or Infinity in the lineup would have been nice rather than 2 american SUV's.

I'm surprised the caddy did so well, i thought Adam was gonna get beached right at the start of the mountain climb.

kudos to tanner for taking BOTH shortcuts, well attempting to anyway.

Not sure how it was considered a test of three typical SUVs. Two of them seemed to head for the nearest sealed road when they didn't like their prospects off-road - hardly in the spirit of a TG challenge, let alone a test of an SUV. Then when they did get an opportunity to 'test' the ride and comfort on grassy slopes, Tanner decided to flick the RR back and forth between the vines ensuring passengers, drinks and the picnic went all over the place. I would even have excused it if they'd borrowed a TGUK idea and swung a colander of eggs above each driver and added some genuine bumps. At least I'd come away knowing one rode better than the other two. All I do know is the RR is fastest to the end of a sealed runway and back to a Stop sign, and could do double duty in winter when the chairlift breaks down.

I might have excused all the nonsense if it'd been a segment within a TGUS show, but not for an entire episode. As nice as the locations could be on a sunny day, it was jarringly obvious that it wasn't a nice day in the mountains, so why pretend otherwise? Flicking from sunny snow topped mountains, then back to wipers on, near zero viz around the SUVs on the road, made me think someone had changed the channel.

would have been better if they would have let them choose any price range of car for the test so they could all at least make it a bit up the mountain.

Tanner's reaction to seeing Adam at the top of the mountain was hilarious haha

It wasn't the most entertaining episode of Top Gear ever but I liked it, though I was disappointed in Tanner's poor performance with the Range Rover.
Also the music, for the first time on TG USA I wasn't spending the whole episode thinking something along the lines of "What oaf selected this music" this episode the music actually seemed to work.

I gave it an 8. I thought it was fun to watch.. and way to go Adam breaking the Escalade not even 10 minutes in. Your title as "wrecker" is safe :p

The first 9 of the series for me. Very entertained.

worst episode ever to be labeled as top gear...gave it...-9 for choosing that second hand rr sport and not the vogue model (a proper off-roading range rover)

Jeremy Clarkson held his own for a fair bit with a Range Rover Sport against a British Challenger 2 tank at a British Army tank testing ground in the first episode of Series 6 of Top Gear UK so the RRS isn't a complete PoS. :)

Last edited:
Honestly this episode kinda bugged me, it just felt like they did everything they could to make sure the Range Rover didn't win every challenge there (it only lost the first two challenges because Tanner Foust was acting the moron). The show was enjoyable though. Also I find it rather unlikely that any company would give a motoring program a test car that leaks so either they were talking crap (as we didn't actually see it) or it was a rather abused 2nd hand model.

Sorry, it just bugged me. I too was actually pretty impressed with the off road capabilities of the escalade, didn't think it would get anywhere tbh! I would have liked to have actually seen how good the Jeep actually was though, since it should have definitely beaten the caddy, and would have liked to see how it really fared.

Can't give it more than a 5 then really!

I liked the episode. I never really liked RR's though So them saying it was leaking through the lamp was hilarious to me.

Well, the episode that aired March 19th took away a LOT of the credibility from the show. i know it is entertainment but the show's editors think the viewers are absolute morons!

As the crew was driving their SUV's under a recognizable bridge on US-101 in the middle of Paso Robles, CA, the narrator is saying, "With twenty minutes to go to Paso Robles". Later, the narrator is saying, "As we entered the Sierra Nevada foothills we decided to..." test their SUV's in a drag race on an airstrip at a ranch. The problem is, the airstrip was very recognizable as were the buildings as being on the Santa Margarita Ranch just east of US-101 between Atascadero and San Luis Obispo, several hundred miles away! Finally, while supposedly at the top of Mammoth Mountain, in one shot I saw a tree covered ridge rise up ABOVE them a little distance behind.

Come on, I like your show, it is funny and all, but don't make stuff up. Very insulting.

- - - Updated - - -

Tanner's reaction to seeing Adam at the top of the mountain was hilarious haha

Especially since they weren't actually at the top of the mountain.

I'm just trying to figure out what piece of music they were usng when they were headed to Mammoth Mountain. Episode was good too. Seeing Adam honest was quite funny. But 2 of those SUV's didn't belong there.