[03x16] April 2nd, 2013

[03x16] April 2nd, 2013

• Total voters
Last edited:
If you listened carfeully, TG UK guys claimed they were to the "North Pole". WHiyl they actually "just" had been to the magnetic pole.
Apart from Santa's hideout. there's several 'north poles', and even more if you add 'old' magnetic poles since it's continually on the move. If TGUK had said they'd reached the one at 'true' north, then it'd be a bit of a fib, but they weren't specific as to which one. At least they went to the one associated with the most commonly used compass datum - magnetic north.

Back to this episode, however, and it's a shame they had to embellish the narrative with easily discredited nonsense statements just to elevate their accomplishment from being a bit 'ho hum' to 'Aren't we great? We're the first!'. There's no harm and a lot of fun in the 'ho hum' stuff when it's just 3 'out-of-town' guys doing anything on a budget. As the TGUK guys have proved in several specials around the globe, 'ho hum', even on scooters, can be epic. TGUS has had me in tears of laughter occasionally in the past, but that was when they were playing the fool. This episode unfairly sets up the audience and Icelanders to play that part.
:driving:

Dear Top Gear UK: this is how you do a special!
10/10. For the first time ever for an episode of TG US

Really?.I would rather watch TG UK India special or Middle East special than this one..And why would you watch this episode which is based on false pretense anyway?

- - - Updated - - -

Apart from Santa's hideout. there's several 'north poles', and even more if you add 'old' magnetic poles since it's continually on the move. If TGUK had said they'd reached the one at 'true' north, then it'd be a bit of a fib, but they weren't specific as to which one. At least they went to the one associated with the most commonly used compass datum - magnetic north.

Back to this episode, however, and it's a shame they had to embellish the narrative with easily discredited nonsense statements just to elevate their accomplishment from being a bit 'ho hum' to 'Aren't we great? We're the first!'. There's no harm and a lot of fun in the 'ho hum' stuff when it's just 3 'out-of-town' guys doing anything on a budget. As the TGUK guys have proved in several specials around the globe, 'ho hum', even on scooters, can be epic. TGUS has had me in tears of laughter occasionally in the past, but that was when they were playing the fool. This episode unfairly sets up the audience and Icelanders to play that part.

Couldn't agree with you more mate!

And why would you watch this episode which is based on false pretense anyway?
Versus TG:UK setting up the false pretense of where the end of the Nile is so they can make up where the origin is? Get over yourself, these are entertainment shows. Nothing more. They setup their narrative and create their story.

This was a great special, 9/10 from me. No unnecessary or scripted cocking about, just trying their best to reach their destination via some amazing scenery. I don't really care that the details of the journey are a bit wonky. It's an entertainment show and you have to cut some corners in order to film good-looking footage. Too bad the end was a bit anticlimactic, but that was mainly because of the terrible weather. I've said this several times here, but I've really enjoyed this seasons of TGUS, most of the episodes were on par if not better than the latest season of the TGUK. Well done TGUS!

This is the sort of episode I'd recommend to anyone, whether they like cars/trucks or not. The scenery was just incredible! I made so many screengrabs. ;) Very good episode overall. Good mix of fun and seriousness.