[05x02] June 10th, 2014

[05x02] June 10th, 2014

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
It's good to know that Rutt has quite a bit of bouyancy, and that Tanner's tongue means he's ready to race.

Okay, it's time for Clarkson & Co to take notes -- *this* is how you do an off-road episode. No scripted goofing off, let the cars be the stars.

I gave it a 9 - actually a 8 1/2 rounded up. Things are looking pretty good so far this season, I'm enjoying it.

Good episode, my only niggle was that Tanner and Adam chose tuner cars, I would of preferred that they had chosen factory cars like Rutlage, but it was still very entertaining, especially when Adam decided to go driving all over the river instead of just fording the stream like the other two.

Last edited:
I liked this episode alot, but two custom truck vs one stock FJ isn't really fair, but goes a long way to show how good the FJ is. Imo Toyota should remake the FJ, drop the fat, improve the mpg a bit and modernize it a bit, it'll still be a killer off road car.

Pretty good episode again. Starting to lose my attention while watching though. I'm really curious to see how much total damage they cause to these vehicles by the end of the challenge. It isn't like they take it easy on these loaners. That could be a cool comparison at the end.

I'm really curious to see how much total damage they cause to these vehicles by the end of the challenge. It isn't like they take it easy on these loaners.
I wonder if the lack of 'mainstream' models in some of these challenges is because typically only custom/tuning shops are willing to hand over the keys. At least they get their otherwise rarely seen modded product on TV screens across the US and the globe for the better part of an hour, no matter how it performs. And they no doubt know how to make them look good (again).

Quite enjoying the latest episodes. As someone mentioned, TGUK should take some notes. While there's some obvious planning (I doubt the route itself wasn't left to 'keeping the sun in the right place' and an old map) and necessary scripting (e.g. the ski slope 'getaway'), there seems to be more genuinely unexpected 'Oops!' moments than in some recent TGUKs.

In my opinion, this is the best Top Gear USA episode ever. I was surprise when Rutledge was stuck at the staircase because the crawl control should be able to do the job. Took him a while until he remember to turn the crawl control on.

Another solid episode. After years of "cheap car challenges", maybe we're going to get a season of "expensive car challenges". :) Pushed this one up to an 8.

It was actually 8 and 1/2 but voted 8 for rounding up (as there still was scope for improvements like a fairer choice of cars, challenges in between the journey etc). Overall though, this was a killer episode! Much better than the last one. Just watching these cars eat up those huge rocks and climb up all the steep hills was awesome! Just goes to show how much we underestimate these cars. I also felt that this was one of the few "original TG US" work as this sort of stuff hasn't been done before by the British TG. Keep up this kind of work TG US!