Ownership Verified: '06 Mini Cooper S - Induction noise on wheels

blackman

Car(s)
'06 Cooper S / '89 316i / '15 MT09 Tracer
Hello all,
I've been slacking, I actually have this car since August of '18. As already indicated in http://forums.finalgear.com/threads/american-muscle-my-2013-ford-mustang-gt-premium.58970/ I sold the Mustang and spent approx. 20% of the money I got for it for a replacement vehicle. I could have gotten 5 :p ! The fun factor is certainly not far off the Mustang. A certain D-Fence can attest to that ;-)

In the end there I couldn't find a decent JCW in my area. They were either stripped and converted to racecars or in generally bad condition. I wanted neither. Then this R53 Cooper S popped up local to me and I checked it out and in the end bought it.

It has the chrono package that gets me oiltemp and oil pressure gauges, hid headlights, the somewhat rare factory limited slip diff and the sporty leather seats. Has a pretty good service history with a recent timing chain renewal, the previous owner being a BMW mechanic.

Overall it's not in bad shape for a 13 year old car. Clear coat is peeling in a couple spots on the hatch and like almost all of the R53 there is some oil consumption, but nothing concerning. It's cheap to insure and I can deal with the 9.5l/100km SuperPlus as I don't really drive it all that much (only 5k kms since August).

I wanted something different after the mustang and this certainly is. Oh and that SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET induction noise. I could drive the car just to listen to it :p

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
Congrats! That makes two mini owners on this forum now?

Hope you have fun with it, the jump from mustang to fwd little hatch is a contrast and quite a fun expierence.

TC

aka TomCat
That first version of the new Mini was the best. The newer models look like bloated versions of it.

CrzRsn

Mr. Fedewhatever
DONOR
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
I like the pack mentality on Finalgear. First we had a ton of Miatas. Then the Mustangs took over. Now its Minis.

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
'01 Disco 2 V8, '90 Disco 1, '05 Smart Roadster
Nice, really surprised that Minis are coming out of the woodwork now. You and D-Fence you have a race at this years Ringmeet. :p

blackman

Car(s)
I like the pack mentality on Finalgear. First we had a ton of Miatas. Then the Mustangs took over. Now its Minis.
Nice, really surprised that Minis are coming out of the woodwork now. You and D-Fence you have a race at this years Ringmeet. :p
Well D-Fence had quick spin in mine around Christmas, I think he was hooked afterwards.

In general they are surprisingly cheap. Now these cars have their issues, but a first gen (read: supercharged) Cooper S can be had around 5k EUR. To me that's good value, especially as they likely won't depreciate much further.
A JCW will probalby be an even better investment around 8-10k EUR, but they are hard to come by. And the difference in price pays for a pulley, injectors & a tune with money left over :p

narf

Sgt. Maj. Buzzkill
DONOR
Car(s)
'16 VW The Beetle Cabrio
This has aged well, and I approve of more colour 👏 not a fan of the black nose though :dunno:

re pack mentality - in the fall I almost pondered replacing the Beetle with a topless JCW come September :driving:

WDWBen

Subaru Killer
Car(s)
2012 MX-5 PRHT
Very nice! HIDs and LSD are a rare combo indeed. Also, looks like a non-stock S exhaust?... JCW?

D-Fence

Mrs. IceBone
Car(s)
John Pooper Works
Congrats! That makes two mini owners on this forum now?

Hope you have fun with it, the jump from mustang to fwd little hatch is a contrast and quite a fun expierence.

His is the reason I have mine. Test drove his over Christmas and fell in love.

blackman

Car(s)
Verification Post!

2019-04-04 13.31.55.jpg2019-04-04 13.32.01.jpg

Very nice! HIDs and LSD are a rare combo indeed. Also, looks like a non-stock S exhaust?... JCW?
Friedrich Motorsport Stainless Catback Exhaust. It's great!

Next step is to retrofit cruise control and radio buttons on the steering wheel. I have the parts, but can't be bothered to rip all of the interior apart to run the wiring loom...