[06x06] July 3rd, 2005

Hi.
I have an unusual request. I am to prepare a listening activity for my English classes (I'm not a native speaker of English, yeah, surprise;>). So far a have had to listen to boring female stuff like cooking shows and interviews with JK Rowling as I'm the only guy in my group and every week sombody has to prepare something. I thought it may be a great idea to use a Top Gear episode as a revenge. 8)
Apart from designing some tasks I have to proveide the teacher with a full script of the extract. Although I have no problem with understanding Top Gear when watching it in English when it comes to making a script of every word it's not so easy. Here is what I've written down so far. I would be very grateful if you could look at this, watch the episode and try to fill in blanks as well as check if I didn't make a mistake. I wrote my comments and doubts in square brackets.

- Tonight - .......... [who?!] comes to our reasonably priced car, Aston's DB9 racer comes to our track and an offshore powerboat against Mercedes SLR.
Hello! Now - tonight we have the biggest Top Gear challange ever. May [is it 'may' or sth else?] remember in the past we've [is it we've raced or just we raced?] raced an Aston Martin DB9 against one of the 200 mile/h trains to Monte Carlo. Then we raced a Ferrari 612 Scaglietti like this against the plane to Verbier in Switzerland.
- Yes, and both times the car won so have shown that the car is faster than a train and faster than a plane. Now though it's time for the big one - is it faster than a boat?
-So, here is the deal, ok? We get many letters asking us what is the fastest way of getting from London to Oslo... actually that's a lie, we've never had a single letter on the subject and now we never will because tonight we're going to find out.
-We are. Now, the starting point for our race is hear - Heathrow, James and I will be catching a plane up to Newcastle and then hopping on the ferry over to Norway. It's simple.
-Ok. Meanwhile I will be driving all the way round the M25 through the Channel Tunnel, France, Belgium, Holand, Germany, Danmark, which is much bigger than it looks on any map, up through Sweden and then finally to Oslo.
-Yes, and that's how many miles?
-Which is a lot.
-Which is why I decided to get myslef a very serious car.
And here it is a Ł330 000 McLaren-Mercedes SLR. A car designed to be fast and comfortable. Exactly the qualities you need when you have to get across 8 countreis in a single day.
Ready for this?
-Oh, yeah.
-Really?
-Yes.
-Cause as I see it you're gonna spend all day queueing and all night in a night club on a car ferry dancing with lorry drivers.
Pretty much yes but then you...
-What are you gonna be doing?
-Driving, man... a lot.
-I have to say I've got every confidence in this car.
-Yeah, in the car yes, in the driver - he is old, his hip's gone [is that correct?!;>], he'll never make it.
Can't believe we're doing this again.
-I think we really should beat him this time, I'm gonna run.
-Heathrow to Oslo... I'm mad for doing this.
-Hello, Newcastle, please.
-Can I check your passport?
-Is the flight delayed?
-No, there's no delat on the flight.
-What sort of aeroplane is it?
-737. Is it the 737-400?
-Stop it. Please, stop it.
-Funny, sitting here it's impossible to tell really that, I mean one of the most powerful road cars ever made... till I put my foot down of course, then... yes, now it's... yes...
See, the SLR was designed so you could cruse to the ...... [where?!] listening to Terry Wogan, do a mind-blowing lap and then cruise home again listening to Ken Bruce.
-What I can't bear about air travel is this xxxxx [cannot understand that;|I'm not 100% sure about the whole sentence] getting here an hour early to check in, checking in and then you just sit around wasting time, I'm in a hurry, there's nothing to do but buy rubbish you don't need. Yeah, you've just made my point May.
-Right, it was time to set the Merc's SatNav for Oslo. So there we are, it's saying it's 1320 miles.... [satnav voice and than?!] xxxxx power
-Hurry, hurry...
-Come on, man! I've got a ferry to catch. I'm in the race. Come on!
-xxxx [carry up?!] and wait
- Right, Channel Tunnel straight... (now turn left) The Channel Tunnel is straight! I can read! You useless xxxxx [don't know the word]. Despite the satnav I reached the Chunnel Tunnel with time to spear.
-That's it there - airbus a340 about the plane.

I have no time to watch more now but I need another minute or so, I would probably use the very end of the show with the results of the race. Most likely form the moment when Jeremy reaches the destination and wonders if Hamster and James are there...

I would be very grateful if you could help me with this. I could post short extracts of problematic pieces in mp3 format but i'm sure you have the epside;>

Made some edits, hope you can use it :)

qotsa said:
- Tonight - Questiontime (british tv show I think, he's the host) comes to our reasonably priced car, Aston's DB9 racer comes to our track and an offshore powerboat against Mercedes SLR.
Hello! Now - tonight we have our biggest Top Gear challange ever.
You may remember in the past we've [is it we've raced? yes] raced an Aston Martin DB9 against one of the 200 mile/h trains to Monte Carlo. Then we raced a Ferrari 612 Scaglietti like this against the plane to Verbier in Switzerland.
- Yes, and both times the car won so we have shown that the car is faster than a train and faster than a plane. Now though it's time for the big one - is it faster than a boat?
-See, here is the deal, ok? We get many letters asking us what is the fastest way of getting from London to Oslo... actually that's a lie, we've never had a single letter on the subject and now we never will because tonight we're going to find out.
-We are. Now, the starting point for our race is here - Heathrow, James and I will be catching a plane up to Newcastle and then hopping on the ferry over to Norway. It's simple.
(...)
-Yeah, in the car yes, in the driver - he is old, his hip's gone [is that correct?!;> yes], he'll never make it.
Can't believe we're doing this again.
-I think we really should beat him this time, I'm gonna run.
-Heathrow to Oslo... I'm mad for doing this.
-Hello, Newcastle, please.
-Can I check your passport?
-Is the flight delayed?
-No, there's no delat on the flight.
-What sort of aeroplane is it?
-737. Is it the 737-400?
-Stop it. Please, stop it.
-Funny, sitting here it's impossible to tell really that, I mean one of the most powerful road cars ever made... till I put my foot down of course, then... yes, now it's... yes...
See, the SLR was designed so you could cruse to the N?rburgring listening to Terry Wogan, do a mind-blowing lap and then cruise home again listening to Ken Bruce.
-What I can't bear about air travel is this business getting here an hour early to check in, checking in and then you just sit around wasting time, I'm in a hurry, there's nothing to do but buy rubbish you don't need. Yeah, you've just made my point May.
-Right, it was time to set the Merc's SatNav for Oslo. So there we are, it's saying it's 1320 miles.... turn right and continue to follow the M25. Good thing I have some power
-Hurry, hurry...
-Come on, man! I've got a ferry to catch. I'm in the race. Come on!
-Hurry and wait
- Right, Channel Tunnel straight... (now turn left) The Channel Tunnel is straight! I can read! You useless xxxxx [don't know the word]. Despite the satnav I reached the Chunnel Tunnel with time to spear.
-That's an airbus a340.
-I don't care about the plane

I made some silly spelling mistakes but thanks a lot especially for Questiontime (I know that this guy does A Picture of Britain) and N?rburgring. Business seems easy, shouldn't it be 'business of getting...' then?).
I'm not sure about:
'Good thing I have some power' - isn't it though??
'Hurry and wait' - if it's hurry then i think there is sth after it, 'hurry up' maybe, but the first sound seems to be 'k', doesn't it?
... and Hamster says sth after that but I can't hear it

Thx a lot anyway.

You're welcome :D

qotsa said:
Business seems easy, shouldn't it be 'business of getting...' then?).
Yeah, it's 'business of getting here'

qotsa said:
I'm not sure about:
'Good thing I have some power' - isn't it though??
Don't know

qotsa said:
'Hurry and wait' - if it's hurry then i think there is sth after it, 'hurry up' maybe, but the first sound seems to be 'k', doesn't it?
... and Hamster says sth after that but I can't hear it
Yea, It's 'Hurry up' and then hamster says 'the que situation'

Ok. In the first one it's probably 'good job i've got some power' makes sense;
but still have no idea what did Jeremy call the satnav.

"Good job I have some power" for sure.

The other one isn't easy. I would suggest he was going to swear and say something like you useless cunt or bitch. But they wouldn't be able to use that so he changed his mind and was going to say "you useless arrogent 'something'" but just tailed off. What he ends up saying isn't really a word.

Thanks Wainy.
Someone suggested 'harridan' on another forum. I didn't know the word but for me it perfectly makes sens, doesn't it?

Anyway, thank you both for help.

James is told the plane is a 737. He then goes on to say it's an Airbus A-340 when they are boarding it, despite the fact that they are entering a Boeing 757 :p

Before you guys yell at him for the four year thread bump, remember what forum section you're in right now.

I didn't break any rules by bumping this I hope? I love watching the older episodes and throw in a comment or two here :p

I didn't break any rules by bumping this I hope? I love watching the older episodes and throw in a comment or two here :p

No. Normally bumping is heavily frowned upon, but these threads are an exception as we only allow one thread per episode.

I think he was trying to pre-empt a lot of the very over-zealous people on here who may have had a go at you for bumping the thread.

And how can you tell it was a 757? I can tell the 737s ("hamster-ized" engine covers) and A340's (4 engines, obviously) fairly easily but I'm stumped on the 757! :lol:

It's easy to see it because of the length and the placement of the emergency exits. It also says "BOEING 757" on the side of the plane if you look carefully when they are walking to the rear entry :p

One of my favorite episodes. One question for the Europeans here (and apologies if this has been asked before), what the hell is Spunk? The way Jeremy sold it going down the hatch didn't make it seem very tasty. The name alone (in the US anyway) is slang for something you probably wouldn't want to associate with putting down your throat.

It's a Danish candy, either liquorice or vinegar gum. I haven't tried Spunk but I tried other candy made from vinegar gum and really didn't like it.

Last edited: