[08x01] May 7th, 2006

mastabasta said:
No comments about the LIE about the biggest speeding ticket ever issued with Koenigsegg? 242mph?

I've coundn't find anything on web that could backup that statement.
I know though that on one gumball (featured in movie "Gumball 3000 - The Movie") the guy claimed that he pushed the Koenigsegg CCR to 242mph, but there was nothing to backup his story either! No speeding ticket, no in-car video!

My only thoughts on the speeding ticket comment was that it could be plausible. In Gumball 3000- The Movie, there was Koenigsegg that did drive through Texas. But, there is no documentation of anything, and they said the car was impounded in northern Florida.

Last ticket I heard of being the fastest was that motorcyclist clocked at 205mph written in Minnesota by a cop in a plane.

A fine suggestion codyman, it's funny how xvid/divx has become such a standard that it's now actually holding back the evolution of file sharing. H264 is MUCH better. I was just writing a thread on a fullDVD download site about how the whole concept of re-encoding dvd's & torrenting them as 4.5 Gb files is outdated and stupid with H264 around.

music from the episode

music from the episode

Does anyone know the music that was played from 26:53 when they show Alan Davies driving around in the RPC? Thanks! :D

Mike

Re: music from the episode

Re: music from the episode

mikee said:
Does anyone know the music that was played from 26:53 when they show Alan Davies driving around in the RPC? Thanks! :D

Mike

First off, :welcome: Secondly, you will want to visit this part of the board; give the thread for this episode some time, and someone will find the song. http://forum.finalgear.com/viewforum.php?f=28

they call it the chevy lacette but it's badge says optra which is what it's called in the asian markets.

the optra was first released with a 1.6L petrol engine then the newer version had an upgraded engine with 1.8L of displacement and several new chrome garnishes. the most prominent one being the rear license plate garnish.

when the optra was first released, it was well received in the market because at it's price point of approximately $12,000.00, it offered a lot more than other cars at the same price. it had airbags, 4-wheel disc brakes with abs, good sound system, alarm, alloy wheels, air-con and leather seats as well as the biggest engine in it's price class.

it's main competitors were the toyota vios, the honda city and jazz which did not offer the same level of kit in their standard form.

based on people i know who have had their optras for almost 3 years now, their main complaints are the fit and finish of the interior but no one complains about its performance, handling, or comfort.

i'd say it's a good replacement to the suzuki, daewoo or not.

^Have a look at the badge when Hammond is chatting to Jimmy Carr. The badge clearly shows 'Lacetti'. Nothing 'Optra' about that!

All in all, not a bad return show. I liked the dog. Nice inclusion of the Jurrasic Park music during the carwash segment. My favorite quote:
This is a Renault Espace - probably the best of the people carriers. Not that that?s much to shout about. That?s like saying ?Ohhh good, I?ve got Syphilis- the best of the sexually transmitted diseases.?:lol:

No Boss said:
Last ticket I heard of being the fastest was that motorcyclist clocked at 205mph written in Minnesota by a cop in a plane.
Likewise. And this is the only )legit reference I can find. Well, semi-legit- it is, after all, from USA Today. ;)

cmotd said:
A fine suggestion codyman, it's funny how xvid/divx has become such a standard that it's now actually holding back the evolution of file sharing. H264 is MUCH better. I was just writing a thread on a fullDVD download site about how the whole concept of re-encoding dvd's & torrenting them as 4.5 Gb files is outdated and stupid with H264 around.

Most people still like burning DVDs from the avi. If the video streams are encoded in h264, this becomes very hard.

Fantastic music! Great cinematography! Top Gear is back!!!

I like the idea of having some of the cars that they "experimented" with in the studio! It lends the studio a bit of an history atmosphere.

The dog was a very lame idea. I felt like I was watching Fifth Gear, where nonsense is constantly being poured in...

The convertible people carrier was hilarious! Especially when we saw them cruising around, going into the zoo, and at the car wash!

The micra, well, ...the micra was pink!

The segment with the new cheap car/ celebrity lap was refreshing! It was fun to have a few celebrities hanging out by the track, having a go, one after another. The thing that makes this segment funny it that the car is a cheap car, so quit moaning, you crying babies! I especially liked when Les found out about his time and what followed next! The carrminator was brilliant, as always!

The CCx! The CCx! I am not very fond of the styling, but any machine that spits out flames if super cool! And the look on Jeremy's face at the end of the run, had me laughing histerically!

Overall, a very good episode, even though they are beginning to be on the bordeline of entertainment/information and ridiculous. I think someone at BBC is unnecessarily getting too concerned with Fifth Gear.

Thanks to the kind being for making this available to us, in the darker regions of this planet! :thumbsup:

Oh, did I mention how lame the dog idea is?

Was that little break in the audio after JC reaches 193 mph intentional? If so, pretty cool effect to add to the tension. =) That video, that segment, gave a very good impression of speed and... chaos, something the Veyron video couldn't do. Great engine noise too, love the supercharger.

Cowboy Bebop, heh... it would have been better with presenter names- they're not quite so recognisable as Hitchcock. Something like "Initial Gear" would actually be pretty cool methinks!

I haven't tried making a DVD from H264. I guess it comes down to how ppl play their files. I encourage everyone out there to grab an Xbox and get it chipped. They are dirt cheap now with X360 out and the best media player (with XBMC) in the world by a million miles, It is the Bugatti Veyron of media players. Will play anything playable on a PC (which is everything) easy to update, and can do piles of other kewl stuff like stream RSS feeds onto your telly (that's how I get my news now, not from crappy TV news) You won't need to make DVDs of your avi's anymore, save you heaps of time. Only thing it won't do is HD, hopefully that will come when they figure out how to chip the X360 :)

kekekeke said:
As big a fan of TG as I am, I must say that if TG crew are going to review normal cars, they should at least do it properly. Compare TG's civic review vs FG's civic review. FG is so much more informative and better. TG does almost everything else better, but I feel like I am starting to convert to more of a FG fan. Also, TG should quit on a high, or you will have fans bitching about how it sucks.
Top Gear has always reviewed with the heart not the head.

If you want fuel economy numbers or info on how the rear seat folds down, get a sales brochure.

But what the sales brochure won't tell you if the car is any fun, and thats what Top Gear is about - having fun (in cars).

Many people dont care about how many cup-holders a car has, because to them a car, even a small hacthback, isn't just a piece of steel, it isn't just transport.
Its emotive, it passionate, its entertainment, its tells the world who you are.
These people are Top Gear fans.

cmotd said:
I haven't tried making a DVD from H264. I guess it comes down to how ppl play their files. I encourage everyone out there to grab an Xbox and get it chipped. They are dirt cheap now with X360 out and the best media player (with XBMC) in the world by a million miles, It is the Bugatti Veyron of media players. Will play anything playable on a PC (which is everything) easy to update, and can do piles of other kewl stuff like stream RSS feeds onto your telly (that's how I get my news now, not from crappy TV news) You won't need to make DVDs of your avi's anymore, save you heaps of time. Only thing it won't do is HD, hopefully that will come when they figure out how to chip the X360 :)
:thumbsup:
I hardly ever even play games on mine anymore, I just use it as an awesome media center

Its so much better watching TG on my TV sitting on a comfy couch instead of crappy office chair at a desk.

Clown said:
kekekeke said:
As big a fan of TG as I am, I must say that if TG crew are going to review normal cars, they should at least do it properly. Compare TG's civic review vs FG's civic review. FG is so much more informative and better. TG does almost everything else better, but I feel like I am starting to convert to more of a FG fan. Also, TG should quit on a high, or you will have fans bitching about how it sucks.

If you want fuel economy numbers or info on how the rear seat folds down, get a sales brochure.

But what the sales brochure won't tell you if the car is any fun, and thats what Top Gear is about - having fun (in cars).

Many people dont care about how many cup-holders a car has, because to them a car, even a small hacthback, isn't just a piece of steel, it isn't just transport.

Wow..... for a newbie that was pretty well said. Welcome aboard mate!

Just watched it - what an awesome episode. I've been watching the latest series of 5th Gear and thinking that they may just be getting as good, but after that... All I can say is I've missed TG :D

New intro = good, but not as good as the old fly-over. I liked that.
New resonably priced car rules = dodgy. The car is fine, but the new rules are stupid. Jimmy Carr doesn't deserve to be so far down.
Dog = pretty funny. It's not worth worrying about because it's so insignificant - all those people going on about it need to calm down.
New studio = not as good. Some of the things they have in there are cool, but the layout isn't.

BUT besides all that, the segments were great and I laughed so hard I nearly fainted. The micra review with the paper bag almost killed me, as did Jeremy and James in the back of the Espace once they removed the roof. Top Gear is awesome!

Clown said:
kekekeke said:

Sure, my problem is not with Top Gear having fun, I wouldn't mind at all if they spent the whole episode cocking about. But when they do a down to earth review like of the Civic, it's very poorly done. Was there any fun in that review? No. Was it informative? Not when compared to the FG review. When it comes to normal reviews TG currently seem to neither be fun or informative. That's my big critique at the moment.

I liked it. A lot. Maybe because I was needing a dose of Top Gear, whatever...
I liked the new intro as well.
Oh, and just a quick comment: even if the Koenigsegg was slow, or made in an obscure country, or whatever, WHAT A NICE CAR! :shock: If I could I would buy one just to look at it. But since it?s fast, I think I would drive it also... :mrgreen: