[08x01] October 10th, 2005

my problem isnt the content, its that it's like an american version of TG (not talking about Discovery version). everything has to be "correct" and fair, it's like a school. :|

they are too repetitive. TG skips the laps half of the time and just says the times..

no jokes, no wild childish stuff, no traveling, it's like comparing the show Friends to Lost :bangin:

all in all, a nice attempt but someone at the studio is a prune or just plain boring. the auction was the most exciting part, and thats pretty sad since you might as well go on ebay.

I really liked this new format. It seems as if i'm the minority though. I like the fact that FG's presenters are (mostly) old racing drivers -- it's nice to have the opinions of people who race cars (especially those who are as skilled with car control as VBH, Tiff, and Jason).

I think AutoMX summarised it pretty well. It was better than before but the childish/boring vibe was still there. And the feel that everything must be so politically correct is irritating.
Top Gear is loose, laidback and overall relaxed than this and that makes FG look even worse than it is. Top Gear is too good to be compared with.

yawnfest :thumbsdown:

that segment between the porsche and the lotus was flawed, she didn't ANYTHING about how different they are to drive compared to a base model :? and then she drove the faster car slower :x

i should add that i do enjoy the longer format more, even if it's still boring at least now its a decent length.

the thing that i think most people are complaining about is that they are making such a BIG deal out of this 'new' show when they just made half a set in a studio to copy TG, added a scoreboard to copy TG, and made it twice as long. i guess i was naive to think vicky and the younger bunch would do something wild. they should have done the 1000 pound car competition between TG and FG hosts, or anything to break the monotony. hell, just throw a car out of an airplane, its more fun than a bouncy screeching 911 around a track or a wobbly 240R.

the sad part is that they had to spend $8000 to try to get people to visit the "studio" :lol:

I think that they are trying to hard to be like TG and failing badly, it was just to forced. when you watch TG you start to think that they are not reading from scripts, I'm expecting to see "Celebrity in a mid priced car" next week! I will keep watching only because there is nothing else to watch!! :thumbsdown:

I just tried to watch the version I downloaded.

All I got was some background noise behind all the footage.
During any talking, voices were muted and distorted.
I lasted 5mins before I had to switch it off, too distracting.

I could not replicate the problem with any other tv shows I downloaded in the last couple of days. At loss to what the problem is. :-(

hmm its not that bad?

I actualy enjoyed it...

But yes, if top gear was on at the same time... i would rather watch that instead (even repeats!)

I watched a 2003 show today that i never watched before and was laughing and enjoying every second of it!

This SHow is not bad... i like the factual side of motering...

But id prefer top gear....

Others have summed up already how I feel:

- Love the new look, the production values are waaaay up, and the longer running time is always welcome. And VBH is back!

- It still feels like the same old FG - the sections in the office just seem forced and overly scripted (yes I know TG is scripted too), and it's all a bit too PC for my liking.

In short, it's longer, looks better, but hasn't really changed.

The only segment that will stay with me is the AM V8 review - sounds and looks amazing :drool:

It's still great to have FG back though :)

Got to agree with what's been said. Top Gear has a slickness that Fifth Gear lacks. It might just be money spent on the program, but compare a segment like the SLK/Boxter and soldiers from last season's Top Gear with anything in this episode. Great idea, beautiful shots and fantastic editing made it great to watch... exciting to watch. Might not be the most scientific test, but who cares?

And the chemistry between the FG presenters just isn't there. It is like they turn up to work, record the show, and then go home. The Top Gear guys you can imagine going to the pub together. Who knows if they actually do, but they make it feel as though they do, and that's the important bit. Fifth Gear reminds me of when you see politicians at sporting events, wearing all the right gear, saying all the right things. They look like they mean it, but somehow it is just wrong.

Fifth Gear is reasonably entertaining, informative, and I am sure it is aimed at a different (older?) audience, but it just lacks something. Still, for the other Aussies, better than the local trash. The Car Show! Give me a break!

So to sum it up: Top Gear > Fifth Gear > everything else :)

I agree with most of you. I thaught the remark at the airfield track was rather childish, since they copied most of TG for their so called new format (the track time board and the studio/office segments). IMO the airfield track is just as good as a proper race track, since the combinations of turns, chicanes and so on is endless. The only thing missing in the airfield track are the height differences. (About FG's computer boards: the TG magnet boards and the cool wall are great, because it lets the presenters interact with the crowd and their guests. It's just not exciting seing Tiff typing and the other two making "funny" remarks...)
FG was a good show, just don't try to copy TG. I rest my case ;)

Liked the Aston, Liked the Ferrari, even liked the Mazda concept car.

Plato's gone weird IMO. The whole thing was an ego boost for him. Hes a resonable racing driver, nothing special. But to compare himself as being better than a skilled Pilot is just stupid! And Im bored of watching them drive round Anglesey. TG may have a less interesting track, but its visually better to watch. Anglesey is a VERY cheap cirucit to rent as its not popular.

I also think its a mistake to have 3 racing drivers as the main presenters on the same show. Makes the show too focused. Especially as it makes Jason and Vicky look very average compared to Tiff.

The "office" and the banter was far too forced. And the show didnt hold my attention. I hope nexst weeks is better.

C-
Could do better!

I quite enjoyed the episode.

In regards to the dig at the Top Gear circuit. Don't know if anyone remembers back to season one with the Lambo and the Zonda when they first introduced the track and the first stig. When they were talking about the track, Richard said that the circuit was actually designed by Lotus test drivers? And as Lotus' are some of the best handling cars going doesn't that say something about the test drivers and therefore the track they designed? Just an observation.

It's good to have car shows back. :)

RichW said:
Liked the Aston, Liked the Ferrari, even liked the Mazda concept car.

Plato's gone weird IMO. The whole thing was an ego boost for him. Hes a resonable racing driver, nothing special. But to compare himself as being better than a skilled Pilot is just stupid! And Im bored of watching them drive round Anglesey. TG may have a less interesting track, but its visually better to watch. Anglesey is a VERY cheap cirucit to rent as its not popular.
I also think its a mistake to have 3 racing drivers as the main presenters on the same show. Makes the show too focused. Especially as it makes Jason and Vicky look very average compared to Tiff.

The "office" and the banter was far too forced. And the show didnt hold my attention. I hope nexst weeks is better.

C-
Could do better!

Maybe it isn't popular because it's far far away. Wouldn't you think?

Not really to be honest.

90% of the countries Motorsport companies are in the same place. Anglesey is closer to there than say Knockhill and Cadwell.