[08x07] July 23rd, 2006

"BTW, the helmet The Stig wears isn't road legal."
"Why?"

At a guess his blacked visor?

"Because we say... "February 5th" so logically the easiest way to write this is 02/05 so you can just read from left to right.
For example you could use a system where $599.99 is represented as 99.599$... but that'd be backwards because we read the dollars before the cents."

huh? 5th of Feb sounds much the same as Feb 5th I don't get that, you can't use Dollars and Cents as an example any more than you can use Sterling becuase if you do then the date would read using your own example 06/02/05 and thats wierd. I go with backwards, more examples some English geezer thought it would be a good idea if his cart and oxen when going along a road stay on the same side in any given direction and other Englishmen thought hey this guy makes sence what do they do in North America use a mirror affect. Then you canibalize the lingo and try to make the world adopt it as English everytime I install something with English (United States) I give a groan Billy boy there ain't no such thing imagine espa?ol (Chile) the Spanish would be up in arms.. I am not even going to go into Baseball other than some other English game chopped up for Americian audiances. Worst offence you want to chop up a slick TV show watched bu 350million worldwide just for America I can't wait for it to be produced so I and download it be most funny but alas for all the wrong reasons.

why not use Metric, I am from Britian where imperial weights and measures came from but I have no clue as how they work, how many yards in a mile, how many fluid Oz to the gallon?, how many oz to the stone I have no clue Metric is just so much simpler.

Because Americans are so used to the system being used that if it was changed the vast majority would be so confused they wouldn't know what was going on, because most Americans are too stupid/ignorant or just wouldn't want to change. Call it Patriotism, Nationalism, whatever. It's just the way this country works. AND IT SUCKS.

Before anyone goes making comments about me America-bashing, I AM American.

Yes, because blind bashing from the inside is so inherently superior to blind bashing from the outside. :roll:

Yes, the US doesn't want to change, because it functions perfectly well without changing. It's called expediency: why change if there's no fire under your ass making you do it? And don't give me the usual response of "the rest of the world does it": when we deal with the rest of the world, we do a good enough job of translating when we need to, that NASA probe notwithstanding. Besides, the US automotive industry, for one, already uses metric in measuring displacement, so we're not completely systemically bound.

And if you want to piss on Americans for stupidly sticking to Imperial, you're inflicting splash damage on the Brits as well for using stone and miles, among other units.

Right, back on topic:

Okay episode, Coogan's Arnold impressions made it for me, and the parkour was pretty sweet too. Looking forward to Sunday, but not looking forward to the wait afterwards. :cry:

Actully Britian is worse than America.
We sell beer by the pint yet petrol/gas by the litre.
Sell Petrol by the litre but measure full consumption by the gallon?????? :bangin:
We weigh our persons by the ib yet bananas by the kilo
We measure distance in miles yet measure carpets by the metre
We didn't evem have decimized currency till '72.

LoL like you say were f****d up but we like it that way

"Yes, the US doesn't want to change, because it functions perfectly well without changing"

Not wish to critisize but thats what I said about Windows 98.

zaybxcwd12 said:
"Yes, the US doesn't want to change, because it functions perfectly well without changing"

I'm still using Windows 98 right now, so what are you trying to get at? :p

I get what you mean, but remember that XP bears more than a passing similarity to 98, so interface-wise at least, change is minimal. If we were to continue the Windows analogy, I'd compare the imperial system to Windows Explorer/File Manager, which is imperfect, yes, but it does the job. Anyway, this isn't much of a point worth arguing over, says the person arguing it, so let's get back to TG discussion.

I get the impression that the producers of TG knew that 8x07 was going to be the weak link in the series, so they had to try and save it by injecting some Stig humour and inviting a properly entertaining star to put in the Reasonably Priced Car.

Thankfully, it worked. :thumbsup:

The episode is still the weakest episode in Series 8 thus far, but Coogan and the Caterham bit (even though it did try a bit too hard in parts) managed to save it.

I also learned something from 8x07 ... I didn't know that Caterham was pronounced "cay-ter-um" ... I always thought it was pronounced "cat-a-ham". :oops:

Air conditioner in Lambos of old used to be an asthmatic sitting in the dashboard blowing at you with a straw. AHAHAHAHAHAHA.

dcdomain said:
Air conditioner in Lambos of old used to be an asthmatic sitting in the dashboard blowing at you with a straw. AHAHAHAHAHAHA.

That was a great line and the Lambo looked sharp for a convertible.

Getting tired of all the scripted events each episode. Wouldn't be so bad if the scripting wasn't quite so obvious, takes away from the atmosphere of the show.

the caterham bit was funny but i think they went too far with the STIG getting arrested since you know that was fake. boing to the bathroom and paying for gas "bank of money" was hilarious though.........

Does anyone have a screencap of the high scores set by The Stig in the service station? I'm sure I've seen a picture somewhere but I can't seem to find it again. Thanks!

Sure you're gonna get people coming up to you saying: 'ouuch, you could've gone round that corner point ouch, ouch, ouch faster if you'd had a Ferrari'...

lol, that was during Lambo review. I wonder if that was an impersonation of any particular person or was it just a specific country/region accent?

ninja-lewis said:
ishigakisensei said:
ninja-lewis said:
I believe the Police were real.

What I meant was I thought the two policemen were actually real policemen rather than acters/members of the production crew as it's unlikely the Police would allow anyone other than a real officer to drive one of their vehicles on the road.

Not true. The UK cop show "The Bill" (thebill.co.uk) has been going for about 22 years now, and it does a lot of driving, especially in london. It uses authentic police cars (they even changed their cars from white to silver, when the MET's marked vehicles did. They drive em around with the actors in, and even have the blues going. The thing they CAN'T do, is have the twos going (thats the siren, for those unfamilier with the 'blues and two's) Thats dubbed on afterwards.

Anyway, the Parcours bit made me laugh out loud. Mainly because until a few years ago, I lived in Liverpool. They started atop St. Johns shopping centre car park, and made their way down. unless they've redone the 1-way system again since I was last there, I think its about a 9 minute drive.

Out of the Car park, across hood street to the roundabout at the queensway tunnel, down CAstle street, past the townhall and right onto the strand, then left at James street, and you're there. James was at times in the loading road behind the mail sorting office (marked a dead end - the road with the walkway) and then he's asking the guy in what looks like Vauxhal - 5 miles north along the dock road from the Liver building. At the same time he's asking, the parcout kids are jumping down that escalator in Clayton square shopping center, which is not only in the wrong direction, its also about 90ft from ST johns, across a flat, and boring pavedbit, or 50ft if you go to and from the top floor of both past the old blacklers dept. store.

As a final note, St Johns is about bang in the centre of the city center, the cathedrals are on the outside of the city center (as I well know, my university department was not only next to the catholic cathedral, the crypt was our usual exam hall) and its only about 2 miles from there to the liver building. Hell, I lived by the start of the M62, and I don't think thats 6 miles - sure didn't take me 2 hours to walk home when I was too drunk to get on the last bus home.

Nice idea, shame about the execution

<edited to add>
I also note he says he doesn't know where he's going, but later mentions he has satnav. And to answer his question, it was originally called 'lie-ver pool' but the word got speeded up over the centuries (it got its City charter from King John in 1207) The pool is no longer however, its been filled in the last 100 years. John lennon airport is one of the things on the site now, as was the 86 international garden festival - guess who was the directions guy for all the out-of-town/country/continenters in my department :thumbsup:

K`tetch (yes, I'm back) -

scorseze said:
Sure you're gonna get people coming up to you saying: 'ouuch, you could've gone round that corner point ouch, ouch, ouch faster if you'd had a Ferrari'...

lol, that was during Lambo review. I wonder if that was an impersonation of any particular person or was it just a specific country/region accent?
IIRC it was one of Harry Enfield's characters, or similar, but its also a sort of generic boring nerdy person voince in the uk, the kind of annorack (hell, I can't even spell it, let alone remember what they look like) wearing, pimple covered trainspotters. who go on caravan holidays, and carry thermos flasks of cocoa (because tea and coffee are bad for you)

zaybxcwd12 said:
Actully Britian is worse than America.
We sell beer by the pint yet petrol/gas by the litre.
Sell Petrol by the litre but measure full consumption by the gallon?????? :bangin:
You might be too young to remember, but thats only in the last 10 years. even in the mid-90's some stations had the ppl and ppg displayed. Main reason, though, is because of the treasury. Under the tory's, they realised, "if we have them price petrol by the litre, then we can increase the duty by a penny or two a litre, instead of per gallon, and bring in 4.2x more, without it sounding any more to the voters" Thats basically it anyway

We weigh our persons by the ib yet bananas by the kilo
We measure distance in miles yet measure carpets by the metre
We didn't evem have decimized currency till '72.

LoL like you say were f****d up but we like it that way

We use miles, because thats how the country's set up. AS I said a post earlier, I lived in liverpool for 20+ years. Its 101 miles from Liverpool to Birmingham, its 30 miles from Liverpool to southport. The stopping distances are in terms of miles per hour. Changing the stopping distances for the driving test would mean changing the figures you'd have to know, and that would mean they'd probably have to update it from the 1964 Ford Anglia thats been in use in the UK Driving test since, well, 1964 (its also the model car used to determine all those "slow, bend" signs with the temp speed reductions on them - see the M5 around Birmingham for a classic example, or the Liverpool ending of the M62)

As for the narna's, thats EU rules. Since (I think) 1999l fruit and veg has had to be sold in metric. There was a case in 2001 where one seller was prosecuted for selling by the lb. For a while after the changeover, I was ordering stuff 'by the 454g' or multiples thereof.

Of course, the really annoying thing is, now I live in America, and everyone assumes the UK uses Km. It doesn't and never has. The twice I've been stopped (ironically, both times after I'd bought new vehicles, and because of the temp tags) the police offers have noted the speeding ticket written on my license in ink (paper licenses ftw!) and asked what the speed was 'in mph' or '98, thats about 60mph isn't it?'.

Pre decimal currency was fun too. And a lot easier to divide money up. Try splitting a quid amongst 6 now, or even just 3.

I really like the look of the watch that James is wearing during the 207 stunt.

Can anybody please shine a light on what brand or type of the said watch? :unsure:

What is the name of the stunts that made those guys in race vs. James ? It is "park...." James says it during the race but i can`t hear it.

I just watched 08x07 again and I am just amazed at how good it was. The people carrier challenge was pretty good, the news (as always) was amazing, the Gallardo Spyder review was astonishing, Steve Coogan was brilliant, the parkour segment was awesome, and the Caterham challenge was epic!

Definitely top 10 best episodes ever. :D