[09x03] February 11th, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am -*=SO=*- looking forward to this ep.

should be great...

::goes and gets fire-proof overalls ready for next sunday::

This week we?re under-sexed, under-paid and over there as Top Gear heads Stateside for an all-American special.
Watch with shock and awe as Jeremy, Richard and James buy their own yank-tanks, before heading off on a massive interstate road-trip.
Along the way they?ll take in the vibrant, though slightly scary, nightlife of downtown Miami and alligator-strewn swamps of Louisiana, before eventually arriving in New Orleans.
It?s a roller-coaster ride of Americana in which we meet the Stig?s long-lost US cousin, learn to cook road-kill, and get run out of Alabama by an angry lynch-mob.

This week we?re under-sexed, under-paid and over there as Top Gear heads Stateside for an all-American special.
Watch with shock and awe as Jeremy, Richard and James buy their own yank-tanks, before heading off on a massive interstate road-trip.
Along the way they?ll take in the vibrant, though slightly scary, nightlife of downtown Miami and alligator-strewn swamps of Louisiana, before eventually arriving in New Orleans.
It?s a roller-coaster ride of Americana in which we meet the Stig?s long-lost US cousin, learn to cook road-kill, and get run out of Alabama by an angry lynch-mob.

Wow. I sure hope the segment isn't the complete cliche it's described as.

i'm sure it will be.

complete with absurd hyperbole.

clarkson really needs to pull his head out of his ass sometimes when it comes to insulting american cars. he's so biased that it's painful to watch.

Looking forward to the arguments this episode will cause.
"Those remarks were completely wrong and unfair! When he said [blah blah blah] I felt offended"
"Lighten up, he was just joking"
"I can handle a joke, but *that* was just a downright insult"
"It's not like he targeted anyone personally, so don't take it that way"
"Well, I feel insulted as a country!"
"Give it a rest, you knew this would be coming"
"Yeah, but I didn't think it was this bad. I mean, they all see these forums, don't they?"
"Wha...?"
"I mean, they should read and listen to their viewers! I feel so insulted!!"
"Look, calm down already! Nobody insulted you personally!"
"Yeah, but I'm still insulted!"
"So, you knew it would be coming, why did you watch the show then?"
"Well, because it was entertaining and I like Top Gear!"
"Sure doesn't sound like it..."
"Well, yeah, except for the insults! Why can't they be nicer?!"
"It was a joke, give it up"
"Well, I'm still hurt!"

...and the circular logic continues...

I can take a joke, but I do sometimes want to see a fair fight. Like TGTBTU movie. I wouldn't mind at all if a RangeRover beat a Cadillac Escalade or a Hummer H2 off-road, so long as they actually perform the challenge, rather then assuming the Rover would win and scripting a scenario to make it more entertaining.

I watch shows like TopGear and take what they say seriously when it comes to cars.
But when they say things that I know as fact to be wrong.... their credibility takes a hit.

Its never a problem when the Americans make fun of other places. Its never a problem when Top Gear make fun of the Italians, la French, or ze Germans. Ohs noes! Jeremy says something bad about America!!!!!!1111elevens

Who said it was a problem?

He can make fun of America all he wants, God knows there's plenty to make fun of.
But I don't watch TopGear for the petty insults.

Oh god....I'm going to have to take back what I have already stated in this and another thread: this actually does not sound that promising at all, I was expecting a cheap car challenge, like with the coupes and the Porsches, but this just seems like yet more scripted shouting. Hmm....I am seriously worried if this IS truly the way Top Gear will stay, because I still maintain, that the show should be about cars, with entertainment, not the other way around. I know I am not alone and I also realise that I have many enemies in this battle....we shall see what the final outcome will be, I sensirely hope it will go back a few steps, because I still think that deep down inside the show's fans are, more or less, pure petrolheads.

I really, really hope it's not another TGTBTU, this time with Richard and James joining Clarkson in making silly jokes about america and I hope there's at least one proper review of a car (American or otherwise). Depending on how they do it this could be the greatest episode of this series, or the worst. I really hope it turns out to be the former.

FLAMEWAR.gif

flamewar.jpg

flame.sized.jpg

aw_jeez_not_this_shit_again2.jpg

Lost in the hubub.... Billie Piper is the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car (gallifreyone.com)! Clarkson is going to fanboy so hard over her, what with his Doctor Who worship.

Its probably the normal Stig, and they've put pillows under his suit so that he looks a bit American. No offense USA guys.

lol none taken. the obesity problem in this country is absurd.

and i'm not trying to say that i cant take a joke, what IS annoying is when they continually harp on Americans as being slow-witted, fat and dumb...which is entirely untrue.

i also think its funny that they come to our country to insult us and say that we are ignorant of their culture. pot meet kettle...

also, it bothers me when they try to skew the results in favor of european cars...like the range rover test in TGTBTU...a jeep SUV would have probably done just fine in that test...AND is about 30 grand cheaper then that range rover...

i really hope that this episode DOSENT go the way of the hick cliche's and i hope that they take time to possibly shed some light into how the american car companies like ford and GM are failing and what this could mean to the global car market.

Last edited:
i really hope that this episode DOSENT go the way of the hick cliche's and i hope that they take time to possibly shed some light into how the american car companies like ford and GM are failing and what this could mean to the global car market.

I'd like to see that myself but I can't see it happening in Top Gear, the show is more about blokes having a laugh than any serious look at cars.

Plus you can already see the hick cliche's coming given that they write inflamatory slogans on the side of their cars during the fly drive bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.