[09x04] February 18th, 2007

I have been slightly critical of TG over the past seasons, but this was one of the most satisfying episodes ever. Pity they didnt give 997 to the stig.

Great Episode.

Question. During the news section they mentioned a new car called the Melling Hellcat which can apparently go 270mph. Why have they never mentioned the Bristol Fighter T which can also go a reported 270mph?

On a ccx you can unlock the roof and put in a cubby hole under front boot. I call that convertible.

The back window. In the CCX it's fixed. It's just the top of the roof that comes off. So it's more like an aero-top.

In a convertable, the whole roof, rear pillars and rear window disappear/fold away, like the SL.

JC bit => season 6 episode 2, the one with the MC12.

But how would you explane small softtops, like the Z4 mentioned earlier, but also the S2000 and many others which are called roadsters, and yet there hoods are NOT detachable.
I think that all 2-seaters are called roadsters(including for instance a lambo), and 4-seaters convertibles.

I meant in his post. :p

But yeah it remains tricky, because the 911 convertible is called a convertible I think. I'll see if Google and/or Wikipedia can make me wiser. 8)

J
But how would you explane small softtops, like the Z4 mentioned earlier, but also the S2000 and many others which are called roadsters, and yet there hoods are NOT detachable.
I think that all 2-seaters are called roadsters(including for instance a lambo), and 4-seaters convertibles.

Wikipedia has a definition of an roadster, but I don?t think it?s contemporary. Quote: ?Roadster is the North American term for a 2-seater without a permanent top and without rollup windows (if it has rollup windows it is a cabriolet, not a roadster) ?

But later on it?s described as a convertible sports car.

The almighty wiki said:
Roadster is the North American term for a 2-seater without a permanent top and without rollup windows (if it has rollup windows it is a cabriolet, not a roadster), and the windshield is bolt on rather than integrated as in modern cars.
/edit: Damn you esbenalb!

The back window. In the CCX it's fixed. It's just the top of the roof that comes off. So it's more like an aero-top.

In a convertable, the whole roof, rear pillars and rear window disappear/fold away, like the SL.

According to Wikipedia the CCX is a targa, since a targa is something "with a removable roof section and a full width roll bar behind the seats". Ok it's not quite a roll bar, but it suffices for the definition I think.

Another fantastic episode. Best of 'normal' TG this season.

Jeremy's review of the 911 Turbo was very good. It's a car that deserves a lot respect, and then it becomes a question if you really root for Porsche (passion). I agree with Clarkson when it comes to Ferrari, but Richard made a good point about the practicality of the Porsche vs. the Ferrari.
The News was hilarious, with James telling JC and Richard to shut up about the Turbo and the first subject being the 911 GT3RS. Jeremy's logic being very funny as usual. He made a good point about the 40mph average during road works. The BBC mandatory inquiry they have to fill in with those redundant questions/answers.

The star in a reasonably-priced car was okay. It's not my favourite part of the show but the guest was reasonably interesting. Too bad he didn't push harder in his lap. He could've been higher on the list.

The Brabus review was also really good. It's an amazing car (219mph OMG), but like Jeremy said it's an overkill. But that is what Brabus is all about. Jeremy is right: a heavy 2-tonne car coupled with an overkill of an engine with too intrusive (or not) traction control just won't work. Maybe if the Merc was AWD like the Veyron it could have. The shuddering during the Stig's lap was all down to the TC. God was it slow in the corners (weight really ruins even a 730hp car). Still, a time of 1,26,2 is not too bad; on par with the BMW M5.

The Robin Reliant rocket segment was amazing. I was seriously impressed when I saw what they had cooked up in that 'shed'. Those rockets looked way beyond what you'd expect from enthusiasts, but those guys have amazing skills. I was impressed by the rocket Mini, but this was way better. And LOL @ Richard's flying skills. The launch of the thing went really well, and if it wasn't for the problem with the bolt there would've been a good chance the mission would've succeeded. Marvelous effort either way.

To summarize: a very enjoyable hour on sunday night that went by way too quickly. Can't wait until next sunday (always such a long wait).

Last edited:
Excellent episode. Even the space nerds (all right, that includes me) are talking about the Reliant Shuttle - visit www.nasaspaceflight.com to see.

and from that site:

Shame I had to sit through Top Gear to get to about two minutes of genius

fucking heathen

I was amazed they let the "Koreans eat dogs" comment go through. Not that it's false.

Nice launch and stuff, but the crash was a bit Hollywood-ish. I mean it's not like the shuttle had loads of fuel left after the launch, but still it managed to explode. :rolleyes:
Wasn't less fun though. Exploding stuff makes good tv by definition. 8)

Intentional crashing? Sure looked awesome.

Amazing ep!

And for some reason I love the way that guy says "Have you got a spare billion dollars?" and "Whoopie, whoopie...We've got a Robin" . :D

I quite liked it! All of it!

And just to set it straight, the Brabus has 1320NM and is limited to 1100. Taken from the pdf on their website.