[09x04] February 18th, 2007

Really, really good episode. The Brabus thing was a bit boring (but that may be because I find all Mercs boring).

And the space shuttle was fantastic! It worked SO well the first half of its "journey", such a shame it didn't land properly (Understatement of the Year Award goes to... me!).

This was indeed a good episode, it had almost everything one could want from 1 hour of Topgear. The bit with the chainsaw was hilarious and that DieHard 2 soundtrack was a perfect choice for the moment when the reliant was diving into the ground.

God, that space shuttle! I don't think I've ever seen something so amazing before! It was so cool with the launching and the flying and I was so sad when it crashed and exploded, cause it actually looked like it was going to make it.

I thought the car reviews were incredibly boring. The Brabus was just... meh (my MINIVAN doesn't twitch as much as that thing!), and I cannot STAND Porshes... so maybe that's just me. :whistle:

Is it just me, or did the guys go... a little (for lack of a better emoticon) :w00t: during the show this week? XD

Fun episode.

I would love to know more about the shuttle bit. If they really pulled that together in 15 days I'd be amazed. Looks like they edited in a different explosion for the shuttle hitting the ground for effect. Then they cut out whatever Hammond said at the end before his "how are you going to use that again?". What'd he say? What'd the real crash look like? And for God's sake put the full video from the on-board camera online somewhere. That must have been a fun ride.

When that shuttle first lift off I started laughing my ass off in a mix of excitement and disbelief at how well it was flying. I didn't stop laughing until well after the credits had finished. Those rocket guys deserve tons of credit for the insane ideas TG comes up with and their ability to deliver.

Absolutely brilliant.

When you watch it frame by frame you will notice it's actually edited, this is not footage of this rocket hitting the ground. Anyways, it looks cool :) One more thing I've noticed - look at those poor cows watching this:
http://img296.imageshack.**/img296/9196/snapshot20070219053655hd4.jpg

They must have been amazed :D

And up there you can see people watching from some platform.

For those of you who don't have it recorded, here's the photostory frame by frame:

Last edited:
FINALLY the new Evo gets mentioned in the news. I lubs it so much! Glad they did too! :)

I'm sure it'll be a great car, but it looks like a Volvo S40 with aggressive styling :p

As for the episode, what once was the television highlight of the week seems more and more like a waste of time. Only good episode this season so far was the 2nd one.
There are plenty of shows on Discovery in which they build/rebuild/doing crazy stuff to cars if you're into that sort of thing. Wonder how much this weeks challenge cost the BBC... Oh well, guess I have to accept the fact that Top Gear is no longer a car show, but a failed attempt at a comedy show involving cars. Too bad that the FG crew are so boring or the switch would've been easy.

And my favorite bit is when the brake lights of the car start flashing when Clarkson's doing the hard braking. It got ratified apparently. :)
Exactly what I was thinking too, and the new Volvo S80 has the same function on the brakes...

but of course it's illegal in the US of A.. haha..

Anyways, a very good episode, though the concept of the space shuttle was a bit far fetched, it turned out great, really loved how it went up in to the sky..

They were talking about that for a long time. The harder you break, the faster the lights blink. I like it!

Excellent episode - I'm amazed the rocket worked as well at it did - kudos to the team behind it.

Anyone else notice the ESP on the Brabus was locking the front wheels (evidenced by puffs of tyre smoke) as it vainly fought to stop the thing sliding?

Excellent episode - I'm amazed the rocket worked as well at it did - kudos to the team behind it.

Anyone else notice the ESP on the Brabus was locking the front wheels (evidenced by puffs of tyre smoke) as it vainly fought to stop the thing sliding?

yeah

i mean it was doing its job alright, keeping things in check, but those 12 pot calipers were properly snatching the breaks hard to keep the car on the black stuff, it was making the damn thing judder back n forth through the corners.

they should of hired a merc engineer to come in and turn off the TC properly like tiff did for the big AMG ML63, becuase even when you turn the TC off, it will still kick in in an emergency. but the engineers can plug a lappy in and go into the computer and properly disable it completely

Last edited:
yeah

i mean it was doing its job alright, keeping things in check, but those 12 pot calipers were properly snatching the breaks hard to keep the car on the black stuff, it was making the damn thing judder back n forth through the corners.

they should of hired a merc engineer to come in and turn off the TC properly like tiff did for the big AMG ML63, becuase even when you turn the TC off, it will still kick in in an emergency. but the engineers can plug a lappy in and go into the computer and properly disable it completely

My thoughts on that car too

On the whole this was my favorite real (the last one was more of a special) episode this series The Brabus, Cool Wall, Top Gear Dog, Porsche 911 Turbo, Rocket and Evo really did it for me.

I'm really happy to see the show is mantaining its brilliance.

honestly, it was rubbish.
all the same old jokes, everything was blatantly overscripted etc.

the robin launch was touching, tho the whole segment was more like myth busters. and we already have myth busters, they're called.. aah.. "Myth Busters". see, youre not laughing cause old jokes are not fun, told you.

edit:
ok, it was actually quite allright, i just was in a bad mood

Last edited:
So funny. And the Ford GT is finally cool! but unfortunately Clarkson's bought the coolest convertible ever. Oh well. I do agree, I didn't expect the Robin to do that well either. Still though. Excellent Sunday evening entertainment.

i thought he bought a gallardo spyder, not the ferrari f430 spyder ;)

and didn't he go on about buying a convertible sportscar as being the biggest mistake you'll ever make in the f430 bit? like people will be able to see your bald patch and your beer gut and will be able to hear what you're listening to (queue celine dion).

smeggin' hypocrite :p

honestly, it was rubbish.
all the same old jokes, everything was blatantly overscripted etc.

the robin launch was touching, tho the whole segment was more like myth busters. and we already have myth busters, they're called.. aah.. "Myth Busters". see, youre not laughing cause old jokes are not fun, told you.

agreed, but u gotta give it to them.. The rocket rulled. JC didnt wanna do anythin with it, but in my eyes this rocket-robin bit was the best explosion bit on Top Gear ever. At least they had a reason to blow it up, for their space mission. Better then all those stupid caravans, and porsches JC trashed. I bet he was just jelous<_< . Loved that piece.
I think my face looked like hammonds when it actually blasted towards the sky...
Great work, lads.

I actually prefered te caravans because i hate them with a passion as well!

When you watch it frame by frame you will notice it's actually edited, this is not footage of this rocket hitting the ground. Anyways, it looks cool :) One more thing I've noticed - look at those poor cows watching this:
http://img296.imageshack.**/img296/9196/snapshot20070219053655hd4.jpg

They must have been amazed :D

And up there you can see people watching from some platform.

For those of you who don't have it recorded, here's the photostory frame by frame:

it may be a reverse angle or something because it landed behind a hill.

I didn't like this episode.. The end result was briliant, but the rest of the show.. Didn't float my boat.. And no porsche turbo on the track?? wtf? Why not?? And they completely ruined the Brabus for me.. i still want one though..