1.2ghz Dell for $2000 = FAIL (IMO)

st6012.jpg

Fuck your Dell, this Fujitsu has a 12" screen, no keyboard, and costs $4000. And I want one like no other computer on the market.

Another search on newegg shows you won't get a laptop with a solid state drive for less than ~2k and only 64 gig models. Same with the solid state air

Huh?

Like I already posted, you can get a regular MB with 128GB SSD and 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo for under $2k from their website. It's half a pound heavier than the Dell.

A 1.2GHz Core2 Due can handle Vista no problem, it's miles ahead of the Atom in terms of performance, regardless of clock speed. I agree that this thing is way overpriced, but it's far from being a netbook.

My bad, didn't realize it wasn't Atom based.

Still, even a dual core 1.2GHz has to suck with Vista. People with much faster computers complain about Vista. I'm sure this thing can handle Vista, but how well?

Edit: Actually, it doesn't even really matter, does it? Windows 7 runs great even on slow Atoms, so anyone who buys this can just grab the beta and wait.

Last edited:
If Dell wants to sell a luxury notebook they need to create a new brand (avoids the Dell Image). They also need to market it properly (hint telling people bluntly that it is "cool" won't work).

As I understand it, Adamo is a brand of it's own, and this is just the first model to come of it. Though I agree that maybe they should have made it completely separate from Dell, this at least shows that Dell can come up with some pretty slick designs, even if they got everything else wrong.

^It does still have the Dell logo at equal size next to the Adamo logo, but it definitely feels like a sub-brand.

Another thing that really gets me with the Adamo is the fact that the whole power brick plugs in to the wall, like a giant mobile phone charger.

IMG_1391X.jpg

That's a big device to fold out the North American prongs and plug directly in to the wall. Maybe it comes with an extension I don't know of like the MacBook?

EDIT: Oh, and I just realised that the Adamo Engadget got has a chip out of the aluminium (that's what material it is right?) below the trackpad. It makes me wonder if the Dell build quality will still be horrible for their premium laptops. I was far from impressed by the build quality of the new Dell XPS. The plastic on the inside styled to look like brushed metal was very cheap and wavy (rather than sturdy and flat).

Last edited:
The power plug is tiny and will fit in a US socket no problem, though it will eat up power strip spots. Luckily, as you can see below, the prongs can come out and you can attach a standard AC cord into it.
2008-12-09delladam-13.jpg

Apple's had power bricks like that for a long time now... they work well enough. I mainly used the extension, but plugged the brick into the wall when I had to. It isn't perfect though, the brick was always hanging off the wall almost.

I like the one that came with my Eee, it's like two standard matchboxes put together.

lolwut? A Dell that costs $2000 and MORE than an Apple product?? That's exactly what they need during times like these.

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MB940LL/A?mco=MTkzOTI1NQ

How is $2k more than $2.5k?

The "cheap" air doesn't have a solid state drive.

The base model is 1800, 2300 for the same SSD and faster processor.

Why can't no one here read the stats on these things:blink:

The MBA is 1 pound lighter than the Dell but the regular MB is 1/2 a pound heavier so it would make more sense to compare it to a regular MB, don't you think? In that case, SSD + faster processor = cheaper.

Well, if you are comparing the 2G MBA with SSD against the Adamo, you still have to keep in consideration that the Adamo only has the 1.2ghz C2D, and it only has 800mhz RAM.

If you compare the Adamo to the normal MB, the MacBook just blows it out of the water, so I don't really think that is a proper contest.

wow...I don't even know what to say, I can't see how this computer will do well in the market vs netbooks and vs it's main rival the macbook air

I look at this computer as I surf on my far cheaper unibody macbook and laugh. Seriously this takes a hell of a lot of heat off the apple roast.