[10x03] October 28th, 2007

Actually, I'd just quickly like to clarify something. I really liked James review of the Roller. I thought it was very good and I was very pleased to see him being put to good use. It's just that after waiting a year and a half, and then finally being 'thrown a bone' so to speak, i'm not exactly going to be singing their praises. I expect to see James doing good reviews - it's a car show and he's one of the presenters. I'm not going to applaud them when they occasionally do something they used to do all the time. But I didn't want to give the impression that I was criticising the review when I said it was 'nothing to write home about' - I wasn't trying to do that.

One of the best Top Gear episodes, the Peel P50 segment was just so funny :D could barely stop laughing, and the car reviews plus the eurofighter race everything was great

yeah i really did not see the P50 segment coming, fantastic surprise. i will be constantly watching news 24 for the next year waiting for him to take it for another spin and go past.

i wonder if that was real? and if it was would anyone have seen it?

Flipping through the episode before work, stopped at the Ferrari review. Did anyone notice, I think Americans have polluted Jeremy's verb conjugation? "Ferrari is putting science and maths...". Seems in the UK companies are referred to as the individual pluralistic, I.E. "Volkswagen say" and "Lamborghini are".

You'll be ordering cheese soon Jezza :mrgreen:

EDIT: Damn you TG you're making me late for work, I'm sitting here watching. Belly laughs at the Peel in the Beeb offices! Can't believe any Ferrari doesn't stir a man's soul (supercar fatigue?).

I must have a screen capture of the Veyron in the hangar facing the Typhoon. (The aerodynamically unstable computer-controlled bit isn't new, I believe the F-16 did it first in the 70s). I'd love to see Jeremy swing by the US and visit Halloman (?) Air Force base to put an F-22 Raptor (70,000 lbs thrust almost 2x the Typhoon) against its protoge the Rebenton. Planecargasm!

The show is in top form. It's a new golden age for Top Gear IMO!

Last edited:
i doubt Jezza puts this much thought into it, but could it be because Ferrari is named after a bloke called Ferrari, but at least VW was a name made up :blink:

Not really, it's pretty much what i've been saying. But then my source is only a lead fast jet engineer at BAe Systems so he may be confused ;)

"Eurofighter bit was very entertaining.. although the whole 'uses computers to make it more agile' thing had me pulling my hair out. The real reason is long and boring but basically it has nothing to do with agility."

"The advantages of an intentionally unstable design over that of a stable arrangement include greater agility ? particularly at subsonic speeds - reduced drag, and an overall increase in lift (also enhancing STOL performance)."

Doesn't sound a lot alike to me.

Top Gear deluxe.

2star1a.gif
2star1a.gif
2star1a.gif
2star1a.gif
2star1a.gif

I watched Top Gear on my 3.6 meter beamer screen in my bedroom, and with the sound around the usual "good that I don't have any close neighbours" level. So a masterpiece of television like this hour I just had made my media senses even more go pop.

DSC03529.JPG

Look at the 1.5 liter cola bootle for size comparison.

That looming background music during the rolls segment, and those wild perspectives and fast cuts during the veyron race: Brilliant. What a joy... And now, the Peel segment... I was in laughter at the same moment Jeremy "hopped" in that thing and it just started ro roll. That whole segment was a hoot: The "Office" satire and teeth withening gag in one shot. :lol:

My compliments to the Top Gear crew, the BBC, and again to Quiky for the download possibility.

Best thing on TV.
Greetings, lip

275 GTS bit was my favourite part about the ep. Great music chocie, wonderful car, and best of all, i had no idea it was going to pop up.:)

Great episode :)

Had everything we love about Top Gear except the Cool Wall!

WillDAQ: Hammond's wording on the instability of the aircraft wasn't wrong in any way. He's not referring to supersonic flight at all. Most aircraft are designed to be stable, if you take your hands off the controls they will pretty much stay level. The Typhoon is unstable, without constant pilot input it would roll all over the place, the computers are there to do the job because no pilot could react that fast for extended periods of time. The F-16 was the first aircraft to use this technology, and I'm sure the Typhoon is even more unstable, perhaps completely uncontrollable by a human. I'm sure the computers do also sort out the transition from subsonic to supersonic flight, but Hammond's description was in fact correct.

Top Gear deluxe.

2star1a.gif
2star1a.gif
2star1a.gif
2star1a.gif
2star1a.gif

I watched Top Gear on my 3.6 meter beamer screen in my bedroom, and with the sound around the usual "good that I don't have any close neighbours" level. So a masterpiece of television like this hour I just had made my media senses even more go pop.

DSC03529.JPG

Look at the 1.5 liter cola bootle for size comparison.

That looming background music during the rolls segment, and those wild perspectives and fast cuts during the veyron race: Brilliant. What a joy... And now, the Peel segment... I was in laughter at the same moment Jeremy "hopped" in that thing and it just started ro roll. That whole segment was a hoot: The "Office" satire and teeth withening gag in one shot. :lol:

My compliments to the Top Gear crew, the BBC, and again to Quiky for the download possibility.

Best thing on TV.
Greetings, lip

Heard of getting rid of the desktop with full screen mode? ;)

I thought my 50" Plasma was pretty big :p

Not bad at all, in particular the Peel 50 part.
Eurofighter bit was very entertaining.. although the whole 'uses computers to make it more agile' thing had me pulling my hair out. The real reason is long and boring but basically it has nothing to do with agility.

They did mention that the computers are needed because of the plane's negative stability -- though agreed, they did not quite explain what it means. Or the role of the canards, or the radar and electronics suite -- but this is a car show :)

Neg-stability fighter planes have been the norm since the Mirage 2000 and F-16 days, though this is the first major plane with a canard delta configuration.

the peel p50 part was amazing. the best bit in top gear since the original boatcar episode.

i love this show again.

edit: ok just finished the show. this now one of my favourite episodes ever.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Yes I thought this ep was fab too!

James in the Rolls, Jeremy in the Ferrari & Hammond in the Veyron with the RAF! What more could you want?

Then we has Jeremy in the Peel 50....OMG how he even fitted into it was a minor miracle in itself :mrgreen:

This episode was the best of this series so far, as has been mentioned already, & I reckon this is where it will get even better right the way through to Christmas.

Personally I can't wait for the up & coming episodes. This one though was the best so far....by far.

I loved the episode as well, it was chock full of entertainment, and yes the Peel P50 was damn hilarious

The first two episodes weren?t that good IMO so I was rather sceptical about this, but I was pleasantly surprised.

James and the Rolls, was great. This is what James does best, reviewing Cars on his own. Great Filming, great mood. Best Car Review on TG for a LONG Time and I don?t even like the stupid Rolls. Loved it, thought the episode couldn?t get any better. Was Wrong.
The News wasn?t as good as most of the Time. They are rather desperate at labeling themselves in Order to create Running-Gags and insult each other. Old Man, Gay Man and Veggi-Man ... was funny in 2003 and 2004 ... isn?t anymore. Get over it.
Clarksons Review got me talking along with him at first :jeremy: "a hundret milliseconds", but that got a lot better. Liked it really good at the End. The Guest ... finally someone great. Not that I?m a Stones Fan, but Ron Wood sureley had some interesting Stuff to tell. More of these Guests please!
The Peel ... got me laughing really hard. Well done by Clarkson and the whole BBC, nice Jokes, great little Car. Made me wanna have one ...
The cool wall?s back and that Lexus always bumped into "uncool", or am I wrong? ;) Bugatti vs Eurofighter ... this was even more [insert superlative here] as expected by me. This had "maximum awsomeness" written over every frame. Like the Part of the Rolls Royce bit of course an AD for the Army/RAF/whatever the Brits call their divisions, but hey ... :w00t:

IMHO one of the 5 best Episodes of TG, clearly the best of S10 so far topping even the Polar Special, and the best show/thing i?ve seen on Telly all 2007 so far. All "not Studio" Segments were pure Gold, the Guest was great ... sadly the "News" weren?t as great as they can be ... but that doesn?t put the whole Episode down.

OMG! Just finished watching: WHAT AN EPISODE!
Sooooooo good! Damn that Veyron vs Eurofighter was
done very well and Hamster was wearing FG-helmet. ;)

One of the best episodes ever. :bow:

The Eurofighter's computer stability system is analogous to (not strictly the same as, I stress) putting stability control on an oversteery car: a dynamically unstable system reined in by computers; it's inherently difficult to deal with, and with three axes and a greater consequence of failure, it's more necessary than on a car.

Heard of getting rid of the desktop with full screen mode? ;)

Don't worry, I heard of that. And used it. ;)

50' plasma... Welcome to the world of big screen enjoyment. :mrgreen:

Greetings, lip, talking about screens as long as others talk about planes.