[10x03] October 28th, 2007

^ In his defense, he was referred to as an idiot first. So perhaps your criticism should be redirected.

wahaha said:
The jet race looks bothced.

Not only did the pilot fail to ramp up the thrust before releasing the brakes as you can see by lack of afterburner against the pavement in the starting shot, but clearly visible halfway down the runway(which would have made the jet even faster at takeoff), but also I beleive the spoiler on the veyron should NOT have come up at any point during the run until it reached the end of the track. It looks as if the wing was up halfway through the track, meaning it was not in the special mode, unless it's because he took 2 minutes to brake from the high speeds.

You are an idiot. The Veyron was in its regular setting. Therefore the wing would have come up at probably 80-100mph or something. Perfectly normal.

ok, this episode is another example of how lost the new TG is. The peel bit was magnificent but way to short. Great editing and really funny to see JC driving around the BBC building annoying and taking the attention of other people. Hovever the Ferrari and Mays bit were really dull. Yes, the myface line was great but where are the good old car reviews from 7 and 8 th season. I want my MC12 reviews style back or korean cars or anything else from that period. I can not wait till africa challange because I know it will be just as a magnificent 9 season. The TG crew really has to find themselfs in what they want to achieve with this show.

Totally agree.

Even the Peel bit seemed shorted. Where were the truly hilarious scenes? Why didn't it go out onto the test track? Why didn't they have a race in the Peels? Why didn't he take it into an indoor mall or something instead of just taking it to the office?

Mays didn't talk about anything but that teak and the stainless hood. Barley made a statement.

I just saw the Reliant shuttle episode on BBC America reruns and even though I've seen it 4-5 times already, it was way better.

Myface!

lol

best episode in quite awhile in my opinion

best quote

We don't use tampons.

James - I do!

Holy crap, an episode of Top Gear with car reviews and interesting information?! Sign me up for more.

You're the idiot. NORMAL setting doesn't cut it. But they probably left it that way because they knew hamster couldn't handle a car hah. He should have used the 2nd key to put it in top speed mode which keeps the rear spoiler DOWN to a minimum level, to reduce drag. He said he was only hitting 189, because the damn rear wing was sticking out like your ears.

*sigh* no idea.

Top Speed mode automatically disengages when you 1. hit the brakes or 2. put more than 15 (I think) degrees of steering lock on. So even if they had put it in top speed mode and gained a small amount of speed, it would only have worked in one direction before disengaging as soon as he hit th brakes.

On with topic.

Ok, the difference between cause and effect.

The cause which lead to the electronic flight control system being installed, is to reduce trim drag due to the difference in pressure distribution around the wing in a supersonic flight regime.

The effect of having such a system is also to allow you to programme such a system to provide greater agility.

If adding fly by wire is primarily used to increase agility, why do aerobatics or other subsonic agile aircraft not have them?

You see this is why top gear tend to wrap engineering up into a box marked 'science and maths'....

First off my education on the subject is mostly from the history channel :lol:, so I am not trying to correct you, I merely want to understand.

From what I seen, fly-by-wire was initially conceived to save weight/space compared to mechanical/hydraulic systems. Later generations with flight computers resulted in other benefits like automatic failure compensation, aircraft "ESP" (stall avoidance etc).

It also allows dual-purpose sub-supersonic configurations without (or less of) the previously required compromise for stability in one or both speed ranges. In the Eurofighter's case it allows for greater agility at subsonic speeds with little impact on supersonic performance. Question is, was that a design target or just a side effect.

I don't see how subsonic-only planes would benefit much or at all from these systems either, but they don't have supersonic flight to think about.

Please show me the error of my ways.

First off my education on the subject is mostly from the history channel :lol:, so I am not trying to correct you, I merely want to understand.

From what I seen, fly-by-wire was initially conceived to save weight/space compared to mechanical/hydraulic systems. Later generations with flight computers resulted in other benefits like automatic failure compensation, aircraft "ESP" (stall avoidance etc).

It also allows dual-purpose sub-supersonic configurations without (or less of) the previously required compromise for stability in one or both speed ranges. In the Eurofighter's case it allows for greater agility at subsonic speeds with little impact on supersonic performance. Question is, was that a design target or just a side effect.

I don't see how subsonic-only planes would benefit much or at all from these systems either, but they don't have supersonic flight to think about.

Please show me the error of my ways.

I explained all in my post, #111. Hammond's explanation is correct and (again) has absolutely nothing to do with supersonic flight.

A normal plane is designed to be stable. One example would be to design some dihedral into the wing, which provides stability around the roll axis. Modern fighter jets are designed the opposite way, making them very difficult if not impossible to control by the pilot. The computers do that. Why do you guys keep going on about supersonic flight?

As for the episode. Great episode. Packed full of entertainment. James' review was cool. The Ferrari review was very good. It almost made me like it but still don't hahaha glad Jeremy didn't like it. 180,000 pounds would probably get you an F40 though, but the classic car bit was good.

Actually, that's what i thought too about the Ferrari for about 180,000 pounds. I thought he'd have picked a F40, which Jeremy absolutely loves.

Also, i was surprised by his choice of 275, i thought if he is going to choose a front engined GT Ferrari, he would have chosen Daytona. Not sure how much those go for these days though, not sure if 180,000 pounds is enough for one.

Um the reason the spoiler on the Veyron was down is because it helps give grip to the rear tyres = better acceleration. Hammond was never going to reach top speed on the runway and acceleration was way more important than top speed, so they need the grip! The spoiler down is only if you want to make the car SO slick that it can gain that extra speed to top speed, but it would sacrifice acceleration at lower speeds.

Fantastic episode!! Packed with things, all of them relevant to the car world, and always with that great sense of humor only TG has:tvhappy:. Way to go TG!!:thumbsup:

Congrats to the everyone on the TG crew, :jeremy::hamster::james::stig:, as well as Andy Wilman and the rest of the production team!

Cheers
Daniel

2:05 2:10

2:05 2:10

I am sorry for posting this comment. I just know that people behind TG regularly check this great forum & I just want them to take extra care next time.

I noticed that the clock in the chevy was 2:05 when the SIARPC started the lap... and finished at 2:09/2:10... 1:49 was the lap time... and we all know the rules for the SIARPC....

Anywayz... TOP GEAR ROCKS!... Great Episode....

cheerz'
SCHNiTZER

I am sorry for posting this comment. I just know that people behind TG regularly check this great forum & I just want them to take extra care next time.

I noticed that the clock in the chevy was 2:05 when the SIARPC started the lap... and finished at 2:09/2:10... 1:49 was the lap time... and we all know the rules for the SIARPC....

Anywayz... TOP GEAR ROCKS!... Great Episode....

cheerz'
SCHNiTZER

I can tell that you haven't been around here very long. It is a well known fact that for the SIARPC segment they have the star race round the track several time whilst filming. The lap time that is put on the board is accurate to their best lap, but what you see on the TV in the studio is a combination of clips from different laps edited together to look best.

They do the same thing for Stig laps.

That Peel P50 is awesome........49cc engine top speed 35 mph 100 mpg.....
The Stig did drive the new Lambo Reventon....will they introduce that car? and put that car no the track to see the lap time?? cant wait to see that...

fantastic episode packed with the best segments you could fit into a program (Veyron, 599, typhoon, Reventon, RR drophead, PEEL!!) the filmography in these later series of TG is just magnificent, sound and picture makes a lot of differenec and is one of the reasons why TG stands out.
I really liked James's review of the RR, it really fits him that kind of review and I am starting to feel sorry for him, because of the abuse he gets from JC and Hammond.
And finally the celebrity was great! Finally somebody that is known outside of UK.

I really laughed my head off when the Peel drove past behind the BBC News readers...

A lot of segments, and with a lot of cars. They were also featuring fantastic cars, with the Drophead :thumbup:

The 599 GTB Fiorano :thumbsup: However, i disagree with Jeremy. Each Ferrari has passion, and this is no exception.

The Bugatti Veyron :bow:

And my new favorite supercar (or shall i call it hypercar?): The Reventon! :drool:

Great episode!

You're the idiot. NORMAL setting doesn't cut it. But they probably left it that way because they knew hamster couldn't handle a car hah. He should have used the 2nd key to put it in top speed mode which keeps the rear spoiler DOWN to a minimum level, to reduce drag. He said he was only hitting 189, because the damn rear wing was sticking out like your ears.

Few things;
-The Veyron can still do ~235mph with the spoiler up.
-Even with the key in hyperdrive mode the spoiler comes up as soon as the driver touches the brakes or steers, so he'd only have had it down for the first half.
-He only hit 18xmph, since the car can do ~235mph with the spoiler up, it wouldn't have gone much faster with it down.