[10x06] November 18th, 2007

[10x06] November 18th, 2007

• Total voters
'Ang about. What til [10x08]. (Special guest: Lewis Hamilton)

Thanks Top Gear. Another great episode.
However, you will be getting a letter from me telling you all off. I work in a boarding school and sat down to watch it with the kids aged 10 -12 this evening as usual. Thanks to Mr Clarkson I had to explain what bull semen was and thanks to Mr May we had an interesting discussion on why he can use language such as boll**ks on TV and they get a detention if they use the same swearword. Thankfully, as with the pulling off in the services joke from a few episodes ago, I didn't have to explain the young lady's reaction to sitting on the vibrating seat pad. It went over the kids' heads so to speak.

Well the show is obviously not aimed at 10 to 12 year olds. Most of those kids probably can't even drive.

It was quite good but we've had better. I also didnt like the caravan racing very much. They could have at least used a track not drive in circles.
And Clarkson forgot the bhp of the merc and gave us the M5' bhp instead.

Very reasonable, quite liked the line-up. The RV-race was exactly the total amount of humor I want in an episode.

I do not like the dark-flashy-in your face new camera-style they do on some reviews. totally ruined the 997 turbo review last series, and allthough it was toned down a bit on the M5 E63 making it watchable, but it just doesn't work for me. I like to actually see the car, shifting it's weight. Pretty much like F1-races are done, lots of overview shots please.

interestingly :
JC mentioned he actually prefers the M5 looks to the mercs without any mention of them both being ugly as hell. I think he is warming up to the current 5-series looks, it took me a year or so but it now definitely is the best looking big sedan out there I think. And for a moment there I think JC forgot that he was suppose to hate the looks(as he always says)

Also The old Civic Type-R is more then 3-seconds SLOWER around the track, yet during the test it was faster around the same corners(maybe a slightly order between them)
so either the oldie got faster -> not likely
the track got faster -> likely but not the much
The other driver is much faster the JC -> defeats the point of the entire test.
JC hates it so it was deamed slow, and TG is just laying -> very likely

Last edited:
Hi Every one, I am a big Top Gear fan, I always download TG episodes from MiniNova.org, but recently the stupid Internet provider here in the UAE decided to block mininova website, so I couldn't download it till now ):

could any one please email me the torrent file if possible so I can use to download this episode please??

I would be very thankfull if you can mail the torrent file
my email is nasir_fts@yahoo.com

regards

Good show.

I know the Alfa segment was filmed nearly 2 years ago, but I don't care. It's still a very nice car. Now that we've covered the 159 and the Brera can we see the C8? It's like the designer at Alfa slept with Kiera Knightly (to use Clarkson's cliche) then tried to convey what that experience was like in the design of the car.

Notice yet another mention of Oliver in this week's episode. I think this is going somewhere.

Why weren't the estates limited to 155?

To be honest, I think I'd prefer just the Weissman rather than the whole Performance.

I like the Alfa segment, for one. James did a good job keeping it amusing and interesting with the "Italian car review swear words" thing ;)

Dang, that car looks like such a nice place to be.

Glad we got a more serious car-oriented episode this week. Hammond's RV race was still hilarious. 4/5.

It was a great episode but not the best though. I laughed out plenty of times during the news segment especially at the girls reaction to the chair. Solid 4/5.

I'm not sure if this was the worst episode of Top Gear I've ever seen, but it's close. You'd probably have to go back to Series 1 and 2 to find one that's worse. I fell asleep 2/3 of the way through. I thought it was because I was tired, but I watched it again this morning. Unfortunately, it was the programme that put me out. Since I have so many complains about this show, I'll do them in chronological order:

1) Civic Type-R rwview. Generally no complaints. Everything I expect from Jeremy. But what was all that jackjawing with the audience member afterward? I don't care about his opinion on the car, that's not why I watch.
Grade: B

2) The news. This is where we're supposed to get a few good laughs and hear about cars. I laughed twice and they talked about one specific car. The girl and the vibrating seat was cute, but then they let James talk about foxes and it all went downhill.
Grade: C+

3) Alfa Romeo 159 Review. Soul and passion. Two things this review didn't have. Apparently this car is so bad, they had to prop it up by racing it against a man walking across a river? Please! And if it was supposed to be a race, which I say it isn't, why was Captain Slow behind the wheel? If I had to donate a pound for every time I nodded off during this review, I'd be on my way to that first liter of bull sperm I've been hearing so much about.
Grade: F--

4. Jeremy's interview with the Rugby Player. This has to be one of the worst interview's Jeremy has ever given. I'm sure Lawrence whatever was quite interesting, and yet I learned nothing about him because Clarkson asked some of the most asinine questions ever. I also noticed he brought a book out with him, obviously to plug as is the new trend with guests on Top Gear (Shame on you, Mr. Wilman by the way), and they didn't even mention it. At least it was mildly amusing when he didn't fit in the Lacetti.
Grade: D

5. BMW M5 touring and Merc AMG 6.3 Estate review. Unlike most of the supercars featured on Top Gear, which few if any could or would buy, they devoted 10 minutes to a pair of cars that nobody will buy. If you want a BMW M5 or a Merc CLS, you buy a BMW M5 or a Merc CLS. You don't buy them as an Estate car as if that suddenly makes them practical, because they're still way more than any off roader that Jeremy mentioned.

That aside, if you're going to review them properly, why on Earth would you take them to a runway that isn't the Top Gear test track and drive them up and down it very fast at night so you can't see them? All I learned about the cars that no one will buy is that they can go up and down a runway very fast, and the Merc is slightly faster. When Jeremy tested the M5 proper two years ago, he drove it on the B-roads in the hills to show that it could really handle. Wouldn't it have made sense to do the same thing with the Estate car to show it too could handle the corners?
Grade: F

6. Richard's Motor Home race. They've done this sort of thing a couple times now. First it was people carriers, then remote control cars, now this. I will admit it was funny in that sort of "Hooray for Destruction" kind of way, but it felt stale and recycled watching it. Then they end show talking about a $1.5 million motor home than can hold a Weismann in it's belly. That's all well and good but you don't end the show with it! That ending felt completely tacked on and when Jeremy said that was the end I was surprised because I thought they would do something else after that. If anything they should have talked about the motor home first, then showed the race.
Grade: C-

7. Intro Music. What the hall happened there??? Why did they start the show with the Series 1-3 version of Jessica? At first I thought it was because it was the 100th programme until I remembered that next week is the 100th programme. I can't grade that, but to say the least that changed the feel of the whole episode from the start.

Overall Grade: D-
In my opinion a poor job by all involved. Save the Civic, the reviews were terrible, the news didn't make me laugh like it should, and the edit cuts were far too obvious. And I hate to say that because I am the biggest fan of Top Gear in the states and I think this series has been excellent until this point. I really hope that this show was simply not given the full attention it should have because they're planning something spectacular the 100th programme. I hope they're back on form next week.

Whoever did jokes for this episode, it was jolly fun :D
Some say that he [the Stig] thought Star Wars was a documentary!
:lmao:
Also, James May doing Ramsay was good :lol:

The BMW vs Merc review looked rather pointless, eventless and quite dull in the cinematography department. I mean, the cameramen did their best, but shooting at night ?!? Bad idea.

Viper, would it be possible to do a proper 10-point voting system next time please ? I'd give this 7 out of 10 or so. Four stars is quite different to me.

I'm not sure if this was the worst episode of Top Gear I've ever seen, but it's close. You'd probably have to go back to Series 1 and 2 to find one that's worse. I fell asleep 2/3 of the way through. I thought it was because I was tired, but I watched it again this morning. Unfortunately, it was the programme that put me out. Since I have so many complains about this show, I'll do them in chronological order:

1) Civic Type-R rwview. Generally no complaints. Everything I expect from Jeremy. But what was all that jackjawing with the audience member afterward? I don't care about his opinion on the car, that's not why I watch.
Grade: B

2) The news. This is where we're supposed to get a few good laughs and hear about cars. I laughed twice and they talked about one specific car. The girl and the vibrating seat was cute, but then they let James talk about foxes and it all went downhill.
Grade: C+

3) Alfa Romeo 159 Review. Soul and passion. Two things this review didn't have. Apparently this car is so bad, they had to prop it up by racing it against a man walking across a river? Please! And if it was supposed to be a race, which I say it isn't, why was Captain Slow behind the wheel? If I had to donate a pound for every time I nodded off during this review, I'd be on my way to that first liter of bull sperm I've been hearing so much about.
Grade: F--

4. Jeremy's interview with the Rugby Player. This has to be one of the worst interview's Jeremy has ever given. I'm sure Lawrence whatever was quite interesting, and yet I learned nothing about him because Clarkson asked some of the most asinine questions ever. I also noticed he brought a book out with him, obviously to plug as is the new trend with guests on Top Gear (Shame on you, Mr. Wilman by the way), and they didn't even mention it. At least it was mildly amusing when he didn't fit in the Lacetti.
Grade: D

5. BMW M5 touring and Merc AMG 6.3 Estate review. Unlike most of the supercars featured on Top Gear, which few if any could or would buy, they devoted 10 minutes to a pair of cars that nobody will buy. If you want a BMW M5 or a Merc CLS, you buy a BMW M5 or a Merc CLS. You don't buy them as an Estate car as if that suddenly makes them practical, because they're still way more than any off roader that Jeremy mentioned.

That aside, if you're going to review them properly, why on Earth would you take them to a runway that isn't the Top Gear test track and drive them up and down it very fast at night so you can't see them? All I learned about the cars that no one will buy is that they can go up and down a runway very fast, and the Merc is slightly faster. When Jeremy tested the M5 proper two years ago, he drove it on the B-roads in the hills to show that it could really handle. Wouldn't it have made sense to do the same thing with the Estate car to show it too could handle the corners?
Grade: F

6. Richard's Motor Home race. They've done this sort of thing a couple times now. First it was people carriers, then remote control cars, now this. I will admit it was funny in that sort of "Hooray for Destruction" kind of way, but it felt stale and recycled watching it. Then they end show talking about a $1.5 million motor home than can hold a Weismann in it's belly. That's all well and good but you don't end the show with it! That ending felt completely tacked on and when Jeremy said that was the end I was surprised because I thought they would do something else after that. If anything they should have talked about the motor home first, then showed the race.
Grade: C-

7. Intro Music. What the hall happened there??? Why did they start the show with the Series 1-3 version of Jessica? At first I thought it was because it was the 100th programme until I remembered that next week is the 100th programme. I can't grade that, but to say the least that changed the feel of the whole episode from the start.

Overall Grade: D-
In my opinion a poor job by all involved. Save the Civic, the reviews were terrible, the news didn't make me laugh like it should, and the edit cuts were far too obvious. And I hate to say that because I am the biggest fan of Top Gear in the states and I think this series has been excellent until this point. I really hope that this show was simply not given the full attention it should have because they're planning something spectacular the 100th programme. I hope they're back on form next week.
STOP OVERANALYSING!!!!
People like you really piss me off. Can't you just watch the show and say: it was allright. If you always analyse like this, you can never really enjoy a TG episode.. By the way, I think the episode was good, so if you think you can make a better TG (if it was as bad as you describe, they wouldn't have such high rating), go and make it yourself

STOP OVERANALYSING!!!!
People like you really piss me off. Can't you just watch the show and say: it was allright. If you always analyse like this, you can never really enjoy a TG episode.. By the way, I think the episode was good, so if you think you can make a better TG (if it was as bad as you describe, they wouldn't have such high rating), go and make it yourself

I do enjoy Top Gear immensly despite what you call overanalyzing. And no, if I feel a poor job was done putting an episode together, I say so. Is that how your everyday life works? I mean if you screw up and do a bad job at work does your boss come up to you and say, "Not bad"? If so, I want your job and please let me know where to send an application. There is nothing wrong with critisism when it's warranted. I don't think I'm the only one that has said this was not a particularly good episode. I also don't recall saying I could make a better episode, because I am not a television producer, nor am I a television presenter or professional journalist. But that does not mean I'm not allowed to speak by mind when I think something was done poorly. If you hate people who speak thier mind, come live in America. My government would love you.