[10x07] November 25th, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
They will certainly have to revive the cool wall for the DBS. :D

Anyway the V8 Vantage is a lot more than just a shortened DB9 with a Jaguar engine. The chassis was extensively reengineered and is actually signicficantly stiffer than the DB9, despite being lighter. The engine is also significantly changed, only the cylinder block remains. The looks, well it looks similar to a DB9 but it represents a different Aston mood, being much more taunt and angry, yet still sophisiticated.

It's still just a shortened DB9. How can it be more taunt and angry when its just a couple of inches shorter? I don't get it. Yes, it has a stiffer chassis but is that such a big deal?

People here on the forums says that cars are boring because they look exactly the same as the old model, but it's the same thing with Aston. Design something new - crying out loud!

It's still just a shortened DB9. How can it be more taunt and angry when its just a couple of inches shorter? I don't get it. Yes, it has a stiffer chassis but is that such a big deal?
Yes, that's a big deal. Ask any automotive engineer about this. The chassis is very important to get right. Stiffening up the chassis makes huge differences to the way a car behaves on the limit. And it is more than a shortened DB9. All of the road tests I have seen confirms that the V8 Vantage has a significantly different character in the way it drives; it's much more of a sportscar, whereas a DB9 is a GT.

People here on the forums says that cars are boring because they look exactly the same as the old model, but it's the same thing with Aston. Design something new - crying out loud!
Never change a winning design too much. Why change such a beauty...? Anyway I find it strange that this complaint about a lack different designs comes from someone who usually advocates Audis...

Last edited:
I do agree that DBS's design is lacking in innovation and originality, i think it looks too much like a DB9 with body kit, however i still think it is a fantastic looking car with a great sounding engine. Really looking forward to that test.

As for complaint of Aston's looking all the same, yes it does seem that way, especially the DB9 and V8 Vantage, but they are both great looking cars, probably the best on the market today. Plus, Aston isn't the only one doing this, like marcos said above, Audi have pretty similar designs. Especially the new A4, to me it looks very similar to old A4.

XF cant be driven - it has an embargo on TV reviews, not until early 2009 anyway.
The new M3 would be decent in a three way between Audi RS4 and (pre production) Merc C 63. That would be reasonable.

The DBS should be brilliant anyway.

I am not sure about this episode, may be good or may be bad, the new Aston sure looks good.

To me at the moment this season resembles Season 3 I think in going pure they went too far back, if they add a bit into it they could make it like Season 7 which would be shagadelic.

sod the Aston:rolleyes:, cant wait to see the three of them in their classic British Leylands:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The Aston is probably going to be interesting to watch.

As for the British Leyland cars............ :lol:

Genuinly looking forward to this. 8)

Jeremy's gonna love the Aston Martin anyway, we don't really need a review of it...

They should review the new 430 Scud., and do a test between a fiat 500 and a mini.

Gona be really funny to see Jezza trying to fix a leyland car :D probably by screaming at it "WHY WON'T YOU WORK"

New info from http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonbbc2/
There was the familiar smell of old motor oil backstage at filming this week, and for once it wasn't coming from James.

See, next year sees the 40th anniversary of the formation of British Leyland, a milestone that Jeremy, James and Richard thought should be celebrated appropriately. Reasonably, the producers disagreed, saying that everything BL ever produced was a bunch of rusty, patchy rubbish.

To prove them wrong, our intrepid presenters headed out with ?1,200 of their own cash to buy a car to prove that some good did come out of British Leyland.

Unfortunately, they returned with a Rover SD1, a Triumph Dolomite Sprint and an Austin Princess. And a lingering smell of rust and oil.

This week's Big Feature sees them thrash the Seventies not-quite-icons to well beyond an inch of their lives... and get very, very wet in the process.

But it's not just old bangers on the show this week. Jeremy arm-wrestled James Bond himself to get the keys to the new Aston Martin DBS, a car that might just be better than the Vanquish and the DB9. Together. Find out how the gorgeous, carbon fibre-clad supercar takes to our test track in the hands of Double-O-Stig.

And this week's star in a Reasonably Priced Car is comedy legend Jennifer Saunders, who proved absolutely fabulous behind the wheel of our Chevy Lacetti.

So make sure you don't miss the show this Sunday at 8pm on BBC Two - and keep checking back to TopGear.com for outtakes and more behind-the-scenes action throughout the week.
I hope it's not a repost.

This is gonna be a very good one; DBS (drools)

You are welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.