[11x01] June 22nd, 2008

[11x01] June 22nd, 2008

• Total voters
FWIW, Justin Lee Collins isn't gay. An annoying, screeching talent vacuum who makes up for his inherent unfunniness by shouting - and he is very unfunny, so that is a lot of shouting. JLC is proof that God doesn't exist, because he has a career and George Carlin is dead.

I've gigged with Alan Carr - he's a nice bloke and his standup isn't about being a camp queen and all that. I suspect that since he got on TV, he's been pushed more in that direction.

I did a proper reivew on my blog:
But what's pissing me off is the amount of people dissing the first episode of Top Gear season 11. Yes, we all have our own opinions. Yes, not all of us liked anything until they showed the police challenge. Yes, nearly everyone hated the SIARPCs, because they were crap and they didn't know cars. Yes, the top Gear stunt man could be a public inconvenience. Yes, too much Jeremy overload with the fuel thing and the Scuderia. In the end, this all adds up to one thing: Are we too critical about Top Gear? Or is it our nature to be critical about something we love/obsess about?

I don't care that it wasn't the best start to a new series since series 9. I don't care that the Stunt Man was rubbish. I don't care that an M3 is more economical than a Prius and everyone didn't like that fact because the M3 wasn't revving that much and the whole fuel segment was too long and pointless. I don't care that the SIARPCs didn't know much about cars. I don't care that it was too scipted. I only care about is that Top Gear's back and I have something to watch other than Big Brother or some weird reality shit.

If you didn't like it, that's fine. If you liked it, good for you. If you absoulutely love it to death, I'm with you on that one. It's one and five to go.

What you want us to say, that it was the best ep ever and just give it 10point because TG is back? Sorry, but no.

We are not too critical about Top Gear. The whole ep was just average and nothing more (maybe even little bit bad). :|

The stunt was boring - you cant make a exciting jump in reverse.
The point with the M3 was to show us, that you can drive economically if you change your driving style. It wasn't pointless!!! I liked the eco stuff.
Ferrari 430 Scuderia - it was ok review. I dont say it was horrible, but... (Maybe the Scuderia is not that exciting?:?)
SIARPC - personally i usually like that part, but this time it was bad.
Even the police car part didnt save the ep for me. It was just stupid, not silly stupid. I hoped more from the challenge, but it failed for me. Come on Vitara? Ford Ka is faster than that. And 2 tonn Lexus?<_<

Usually i'm not that critical about TG, i have loved ALL the episodes over the years, but with this one i'm not quite sure. Something wasn't right. It seemed like everything was rushed and packed together or something like that.:?

I loved it. 5! supercars in a race as a start, funny rambling, great review of the 430 scud., absolutely hillarious challenge (hahaha, the sirens). The guests were... meh, but that didn't bother me. I was fully entertained and got everything I was hoping for. I don't know what people are on about.
When the worst thing about a show is the fact that it ended, I really cannot complain. Great job by the crew, looking forward to next week's episode.

The stunt was boring - you cant make a exciting jump in reverse.
The point with the M3 was to show us, that you can drive economically if you change your driving style. It wasn't pointless!!! I liked the eco stuff.

My point was that other people didn't like the fuel segment with the M3 and Prius. I was saying that i don't care what other people are saying really. Now i'm really contradicting myself I reckon.

Even the police car part didnt save the ep for me. It was just stupid, not silly stupid. I hoped more from the challenge, but it failed for me. Come on Vitara? Ford Ka is faster than that. And 2 tonn Lexus?<_<
I think it's sooo weird.. Most people here loved the challenge.
I think you're being too critical. What were you hoping then?
To have a good laugh -> worked for me
To be entertained -> worked for me
To say: i want to keep watching to see how this ends -> worked for m

Great start to the season, it's been a long time between drinks.

I thought their eco/fuel economy segments were a clever way of getting a couple of facts across in bite sized chunks - far more interesting than an on-air reading of tabulated manufacturer stats.
The focus on the Prius was also useful to try and make people question the current wisdom of crowds over hybrids and their cost.

I thought the stunt segment was weak - if they can find an Allegro in modest condition, it should be in another old car challenge :) The police cars were great, I'd have been happy if that had taken up the stunt time.

The guest segment can be really 'Forrest Gump' :) sometimes they get some real funny people (famous outside of the UK or not). The guys this week were a little quiet, but the guy that had a mini/smart car/etc was funny in parts.

Great episode to watch, bugger this numerical rating thing :) I don't spend time reviewing the credits, but they don't seem to have lost anyone from the legions of VIP production staff.

will there be a smaller version? ~350mb like before?

Didn't float my boat. 6/10

Intro was great.

Supercar and M3 segments was fun.

430 Scuderria ruined my day... Where should I start? I was expecting something like the Carrera GT/SLR/F430/Enzo review. It was dull, boring, and a bit too much bickering about the technology. The camera angles were a bit too much. As said above the camera editing was overdone. You never saw the car driving on the track. It was just little segments. The sound was the only nice part. The whole thing felt a bit forced.

SIARPC: 2/10... CNN is more entertaining...

Police: 8/10! It was great. The only thing I didn't like was it again felt too forced just like the TGGF special episode. It was to see it was forced. Take for example the Car-Boats crossing the Channel or the other challenges in the previous series, those were perfect.

Sam,

Who are all these 1st post people with their opinions?

The Police car challenge at the end made the entire show. I haven't laughed that hard in a really long time. When Jeremy's wheel came off I was in tears with laughter. I hope the next show is a bit more balanced and not as slow in the beginning.

Then ten minutes of totaly wasted gay appeacement which every real man would have squirmed and fast forwarded, real men don't listen to screwed up pink fluffy headed morons that all seem to think they are so much cooler when all we want to do is ship them off to some distant planet, what a waste of time, Jeremy be a man and tell the gay lobby to stop sending these self loving condesending psychos around cause it's damaging your show.

Hey?what is with the gay bashing here? What right do you have in saying that all LGBT people need to be shipped ?off to some distant planet.? I guess there is a reason why you live in a penal colony.:mad:

Did anyone like TG Stuntman? I found the segment very un-entertaining. First, the stunt doesn't say a word. He's like an unmasked Stig. The only funny bit is that he was wearing a "Living Day Lights" jacket. The only way I can see this segment improving is if they start attempting more original car stunts. Overall, if this is the "new" character that is joining the show, it's not working.

Very good episode overall.
Not surprised that a Prius is more thirsty than a BMW M3... At that speed and allways forcing, a Prius is never using it's electrical engine, only the petrol one, which is not very revy... so there's a low MPG... Where the BMW can cruise along with it's engine at minimal rev's...
Death to PRIUS! Hurray Venturi Fetish :D

Have to say that most of you are being far too critical on this episode. For me it ticks the main criteria:

Better than anything else on TV in that time slot: Yes
Did I enjoy watching it?: Yes
Did it make the whole family laugh: Yes
Would I watch it again?: Yes

So mainly I thought this episode was good, all be it not the greatest but that was probably partly to do with the perhaps too long Scuderia review (IMO) and the SIARPC. Other than those two parts I thought it was fantastic!

Personally, I don't care if I know the Police Car segment was scripted as long as it was funny thats what was important for a challenge like that. It's not designed to be the most informative part of the show! It was funny and worth the wait until the end of the show, perhaps maybe the section could have been a bit longer. I would have loved to seen them making their cars into police cars which would probablt been quite funny (thinking Amphibious car challenge here).

So overall a very good episode. 9/10 :)

Bit disappointed with the episode. Seems like they are still going in the same direction as the Top Gear Ground Force special. :(

I don't think you can say that. Top Ground Gear Force was a one of special for a good cause. It was just something to raise money for sport relief, it wasn't really a episode of top gear.
So you can't say they are going in the same direction.

I've seen better episodes, but I liked it. There were bits that were a bit boring, but overall I thought it was a good show.

Like it was said in this thread before, it just seems different. I don't know what exactly but I didn't mind.

Supercar economy: pointless
Scuderia: solid
News: pretty good
SIARPC: boring
Reverse stunt: pointless
Police challenge: had its moments

Rated 6 out of 10.

totally agree with you, the stuntman thing seems a bit of a time filler