[11x01] June 22nd, 2008

[11x01] June 22nd, 2008

• Total voters
Oh yeah, one thing. In the preview, there's a blue Evo X. I checked the plates, it's the same one as the one i saw and sat in at the ring. The guy said he would have gladly given me a ride on the ring, but his insurance company insisted that it be a show car only, cause 3 cars crashed already that day and it was PACKED.

So...

Who wants to touch me? :|

I have been watching Top Gear since the first season. The one thing in this episode that got me mad is the M3 vs Prius. A Prius is meant to save gas with a combo of highway and stop and go. Since most people have a stop and go type drive why not do that vs the M3 and see who gets the better results. It seems like they will do anything to make cars they like appear better than anything even if it means looking absurd

I think you have a misunderstanding of a lot of things here.

1. How the prius is marketed. (They almost sucked me in)
2. The Prius pro people want everyone in a prius type vehicle
3. Apparently you have not seen the rural parts of the country. Most people do not do stop and go driving where I live.

Not to mention those batteries. Do you know everyone that lived near those mines in Canada had to be moved. It is now a dead zone, meaning nothing grows/lives around it. (very eco friendly)

So it boils down to, if I had bought one of those cars, I would be highly pissed at this point. That test they did on TG would be a more a real life test in my case than the crap they ram down your throat at Toyota or the eco web sites.

I am not against a fuel efficient car which is why after I really thought about it I bought a Honda Civic. (I average 43 miles to the gallon) I know the car is not really cool, and it is a grandma car, but I was looking at most cost effiencient. And it was a good choice. Good fuel economy, it's roomy, comfortable to drive and the battery will not cost me $3000 to replace. Plus it was right at $10,000 cheaper than the prius was going to be.

If you want a prius, you need to look deeper than the crap they try to feed you. If you sit in trafic half the day, probably a good car for you. If that is the only thing you use it for. Interstate driving would kill you. (as TG proved) My closest town has one redlight. The next town has 3. I don't spend much of my driving time sitting still or barely moving.

If I ever move, I may give it another look.

Did anybody else catch the really bad edit of Richard's lap time? He completely lost his nail-mat, and then coming around the final two turns it was back, only to disappear when the next camera pan came! :rolleyes:

I dont know where you live so it may be diffirent in your case. However ALOT of city people have Prius's and it saves money, just think instead of sitting at a light using gas it is on battery power. Now if you wan to talk long term it may be a POS, i dont know. Im saying I dont think that test was a true view of what a hybrid is for. Trust me im not a hybird guy, I have an SUV and unless gas gets nuts i will have one

I just pulled out my papers for when I was looking at a Prius. I was told I would average 48-58 mpg. What the lying bastards failed to tell me was what precentage of time I would need to be running on the battery, ie < 25mph, to obtain those numbers. But it does go on and on about how every time I brake I will be charging the battery.

Now in my case, the time I am <25 mph would be about 5 seconds as I come out of my driveway. But nobody told me anything about that. I figure the only time around here you would run on the battery is if you look for a close parking space at Walmart.

If you do not run on the battery, you get < 20 mpg. But looking through these papers, no where does it say that. Also, I was not told that by the salesman.

Therefore, it is my contention that the top gear spot is no more deceptive than the Priuses own information.

If I was a person that could not think for myself, I would think the TG spot would make me look more into the prius if I was thinking of buying one. If I spent half my life at red lights or crawling in traffic, may be the car for me. But if I stop for a red light twice a week. Not a good car for me.

My friend has one and she loves it. She averages 45 mpg. But she spends 30 min sitting in traffic every day.

My point on this whole thing is yes, good for city driving, bad for rural driving. But it does not say that. It says I will get 48+ miles per gallon and that simply is not true. It should say that straight up. They no longer sell them around here. They only sold 1 to begin with and he had a for sale sign on it after 4 months. I guess he sold it, but I don't know to who because I have not seen it around here.

it was a really good show, you now that they're back :D
the police cars were funny as hell

I generally agree with the comments so far (jeez, that Carr guy was annoying. And for a gay guy his hair style was pretty bad. I think that was some form of mullet). The cop car segment was amazing, if flawed. I thought the stunt man bit was a little pointless but they did set a record. The 430 film was very well shot and the review was alright.

Now to get nitpicky.

The M3 vs. Prius part was accurate in message, that driving style matters more than anything else, but the test was hardly scientific. A Prius going flat out is on the gas engine all the time, thus making it just like any other small car, and since it was at full throttle most of the time it used way more fuel than in normal driving where the electric motor makes more of a difference. All the M3 had to do was cruise around behind it on part throttle, where the engine is designed to be fuel efficient. The M3 also had the benefit of a slight slip stream from the Prius, which probably made the difference in the mileage between the two cars.

I tend to over analyze things though.

jeremy actually said "At that speed, an M3 consumes less"

I just wanted to say that I see about 10-20 Priuses every schoolday (and those 10-20 are the non taxi ones)... It's an awful car!

Does anyone know what they keep showing on the tv's in the news part of the show where they don't show us and hammond is always embarressed?

Does anyone know what they keep showing on the tv's in the news part of the show where they don't show us and hammond is always embarressed?

yeah.

Yes, we do, it has been said many many many many many many times before. GO SEARCH!

I am new here and I have searched but either I am not inputting the correct search terms or there really is nothing here on it. In the beginning of this episode they showed clips of upcoming episodes. I noticed however that a a few things were not shown such when Richard hammond is in what appears to be some sort of segway with a chair attached to it. Does anyone know where that clip went and why it wasnt aired?

I am new here and I have searched but either I am not inputting the correct search terms or there really is nothing here on it. In the beginning of this episode they showed clips of upcoming episodes. I noticed however that a a few things were not shown such when Richard hammond is in what appears to be some sort of segway with a chair attached to it. Does anyone know where that clip went and why it wasnt aired?

http://forums.finalgear.com/top-gear/season-11-missing-bits-29511/

Back to the prius, it was brought to my attention that in case of an accident the batteries aboard the prius may leak. At the accident scene if there is, or there is a possibility, of such a battery leak; the hazmat team has to be called before EMS will even get close to the vehicle.

To me, no amount of fuel savings is worth wasting precious seconds to save someones life.

I am glad that there is a televised team of prius haters, and I am even more glad that its Top Gear.

This and the Black Series episode are the best of this season. The Police Car segment was one of the funniest moments of Top Gear. The Scuderia was alright but didn't really wow me like the Porsche 911 GT3 RS and the Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera did last season for some reason. The opening scene with the supercars racing around the track was awesome. I was very surprised the Lambo made it as far as it did though, it was my pick to run out of fuel first. As awesome as the Audi is, I think a Porsche 911 GT3/Turbo would have won had it been included.

It was nice to see the M3 get better mileage than the Prius. I always cringe whenever I am passed on the Highway by someone speeding in a Prius and so many Prius owners should not own one since either they 1) don't drive in Stop and Go traffic or 2) They're tree-huggers that walk everywhere anyway.