[11x04] July 13th, 2008

[11x04] July 13th, 2008

• Total voters
Speaking of findings on the internet, I was going around and I found this absolute PRICK!

badge.php

???

I haven't read this whole thread. But the SIARPC segment is getting lame, I can't even sit through them any more. And Clarkson's finds on the internet are annoying as it is just a joke that isn't being shared.

Otherwise another great episode :happy:

notice how most of the silly 1, 2 and 3 points are given by people who have not posted or only a few times...
...which is also reflected in a large number of the comments, especially in 11x01.

I'll bet that a lot of the newkids whining about that episode have also sprouted a decorative red blob underneath the single-figure post count.

The criticism of the 8C was refreshing, and one of the reasons I prefer TG over any other car show: They're not afraid to give their honest opinions. Clarson's admission that he loves the car in spite of itself was just as refreshing for the same reason.

The race was terrific. In most films shot in Japan by non-Japanese, the country steals the show from the actors or presenters. For once, Japan had some serious challengers.

Can't wait to see May's film on Japan...

SIARPC with attractive and not stupid women is not boring. This one was great, finally.

Superb. The GT-R race was truly epic, the 8C review was fantastic, the news were as good as they should be, and the SIARPCs were a model of how to do it properly. Brief opinion over.

10/10.

Tokyo Traffic

Tokyo Traffic

They went through the least used direction which is West->East on to Chiba over and under the bay bridge/tunnel.
If he had taken the same route as the superexpress and entered Tokyo from the south, he would have been caught in traffic(for a week).

THAT'S MORE LIKE IT!

-not sure why tokyo was traffic free? It is usually a disaster. Maybe it was sunday?

9.5/10. Just because I didn't laugh as hard as convertible people carrier, which was 10/10 ;)

Loved. I mean absolutely loved it.

Did anyone notice though, Jezza is playing with the sat-nav in the beginning cycling through all the graphics, but then later couldn't figure it out when he was on the phone? Staged? Maybe, I don't bloody care. It was brilliant episode.

I had a look at it again this week and have noticed this occurrence; the screen he apparently gets stuck on later on in the race is very much similar to the one he sifted through in the beginning when explaining the functions of the GT-R.

Watching this episode again, and, I have to say, the cinematography of the GT-R race is quite something, especially in tandem with the music. Brilliant. Enforces the 10/10 I gave this episode.

I had a look at it again this week and have noticed this occurrence; the screen he apparently gets stuck on later on in the race is very much similar to the one he sifted through in the beginning when explaining the functions of the GT-R.
Perhaps some editing trickery occured where the race happened then he went through the features and in editing they put that bit at the front..... maybe....?

definitely a 10/10 for me...
The GTR-race is one of the best, probably even THE best race ever on top gear (leaving out polar special of course...). Then the test of the 8C was beautifully made and had exactly what you want from a topgear presentation. I especially enjoyed Jezza's art-comparison: "What would you rather? An enormous cleaning lady on a sofa or 153 of these?"

About continuity errors: come on! who gives a damn? really now... if you want to prick on whether it's scripted or not just look at how close their races always are. how come they arrive ~3min after each other and jezza gets lost in town for 45 minutes? ... could be he only got lost to have the race that close? ... i quite think so, but i simply DON'T CARE AT ALL... entertaining, that's what it is... it's like james bond: you accept it, although it could never have happened that way.

edit: I apologize for putting "..." all over the place -.-

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the Tokyo race, not only because of the Nissan GT-R that Jeremy tested, but also the bullet train that James and Richard used. Also, I liked seeing much of Japan.

Overall, I'm not a huge fan of S11. I thought it was quite lacklustre.

This episode, though? Excellent. :D

?????! ...ahem.
Loved this episode. Although the race looked a bit rigged, as May admitted at the end, it was still a nailbiter.
Also, I want to drink curry-flavoured lemonade.

Does anyone remember how James May pronounced "Oh Cock" in Japanese?

great episode, the whole race had me glued to the tv. 9/10

Sorry to resurrect a very old thread, but I re-watched the episode and questioned what James translated at the end. I don't know what his electronic translator said exactly, but it wasn't "oh cock".

I translated "oh Cock" on my BlackBerry translator and it doesn't even come close to what it said. I tried to sample it for a translation, but the quality was not up to par for the pickup . Anyone care to try this id be interested (probably others as well) to see what was typed.

Edit: "Oh Cock" translated looks like this: ?????????

I will try to record and attach a sound clip if that is possible for me.

Last edited:
I also apologise for thread resurrection - but...

When Hammond and May were transiting from Shinkansen to metro at Shin-Yokohama station, they were rushing so weren't entirely sure they were on the right train. If the indicator on the line diagram went to #23 then they were heading in the right direction towards Yokohama Station #20. If it lit up #25, they were heading in the wrong direction and would have to get off and change.

rGtbzAc.png

But... Shin-Yokohama station IS #25 on that diagram (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin-Yokohama_Station ????), it's even got "JR" above it in the line diagram which denotes connections with Shinkansen. So they'd already travelled one station in the right direction when they suddenly became unsure. If they got on at Shin-Yokohama not knowing if they were going in the right direction or not, they'd be praying for #24 and not #26, rather than #23 and not #25.

Basically, they'd moved one station in the right direction, knew this, THEN decided to fake the whole "omg are we going in the right direction?" drama.

I also apologise for thread resurrection - but...

When Hammond and May were transiting from Shinkansen to metro at Shin-Yokohama station, they were rushing so weren't entirely sure they were on the right train. If the indicator on the line diagram went to #23 then they were heading in the right direction towards Yokohama Station #20. If it lit up #25, they were heading in the wrong direction and would have to get off and change.

<removed image>

But... Shin-Yokohama station IS #25 on that diagram (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin-Yokohama_Station ????), it's even got "JR" above it in the line diagram which denotes connections with Shinkansen. So they'd already travelled one station in the right direction when they suddenly became unsure. If they got on at Shin-Yokohama not knowing if they were going in the right direction or not, they'd be praying for #24 and not #26, rather than #23 and not #25.

Basically, they'd moved one station in the right direction, knew this, THEN decided to fake the whole "omg are we going in the right direction?" drama.

Don't come to my house for dinner. :)