[11x06] July 27th, 2008

[11x06] July 27th, 2008

• Total voters
farking brilliant. was in stitches/tears most of the show, especially the British VS German stuff.

great to see May and Hammond doing tests - both were excellent. shame it took until the last episode of the series to happen.

JK should be a watermark for how to do SIARPC - get a rich famous petrolhead who genuinely loves cars and the show and just talk about cars, rather than some star of the moment wanting to plug something. maybe having a plate of blow in the Green Room makes the difference - Mr K must have been on something, he could barely shut up - but in the end it makes for entertaining TV... and good lap times, clearly!

if each episode of Top Gear could be like this, there would be no need for other television shows.

Overall a great episode, plenty of laughs and the final race was truly epic.

Dissappointed that the X-Bow wasn't sent around the track and that the Furai couldn't make it round either.

hastn't this just been the most brilliant piece of television ever in the whole of human history?!.

That is the great thing about Top Gear. You never know when it is going to happen but you can be sure in every series there will be one show that is the best hour of TV that year. Sure some episodes are better than others and I enjoy them all. But still you know in the back of your mind that at any moment Andy, Jeremy, James, Richard, and The Crew can combine to completely blow your mind. To this day when I speak of The Polar Special or the Eurofighter vs. Bugatti, I lower my voice and speak with reverence. S11E6 joins that club.

The only way I can explain it is to tell you that earlier today paid $7 to see the highly acclaimed "The Dark Knight" on a big screen with SuperDuper Surround (and take no prisoners) Sound, and I enjoyed it, really I did. Then I came home and watched Top Gear on my computer with speakers the size of soda cans and I can honestly say S11E6 had me more engaged and was far more entertaining. The single shot of James dropping dirt and gravel from out of his trouser legs was more memorable than all the CGI in the new Batman movie.

And if I might be so bold to say it, there is no "magic formula," just a lot of hard work by some very creative people trying very hard to be the best at what they do week after week and laying it all on the line. Brilliantly epic!

New to the forum, though not to the show, but I must say, this episode was brilliant. A fitting conclusion to the series, to be sure.

As an Eagle Scout (Queen's Scout for those outside the US), though, I must say, I certainly would not have attempted to beat the Stig. Do hope that they review the new Camaro, as well as the new Challenger, regardless of whether or not Clarkson and May like them now. After all, here in the US, with the exception of the still-distant TGA, it is not likely that we get a highly critical, rather objective review. Didn't particularly care for SIARPC, if only because the whole thing felt forced - devoted simply to beating Simon Cowell. The Apollo was rather ugly, but you cannot argue with the result. Hammond crashing into the lap board was a bit startling, but in retrospect, seems funny.

The absolute highlight of the episode, though, was the competition with D-Motor. Simply fantastic, starting with the TG crew's arrival on the wings of Spitfires, right on through to James doing his best impression of the Stig.

10/10... now how long until Series 12?

This episode was freaking amazing.

One thing I noticed between the last few seasons and the favorite ones like 6 and 7 were the uses of filters on the lens. I sort of miss those, but the camera work in these episodes were nonetheless amazing.

Once again, incredible episode.

i'll sum up the furai segment with two words.
apex seals

easy to quote when you don't own a rotary car... I had the 3rd gen, and it was an amazing car. Just like ANY sports, car, change your oil, keep up with maintenance, and you'll be fine. Remember, the reason why the rotary engine won Le Mans in 1991 was because of it's reliability. It out lasted all the piston cars with very little pit stops for "engine problems" like the sauber mercedes did (when it was dominating). In the end, when they stripped the car apart (after it won) the engine had very little wear and tear, which caused porsche to bitch and complain and ban the rotary engine from le mans. Later, Rotary engines were re-admitted, but were heavily crippled, thus, mazda stopped entering rotary le mans cars and joined the piston cup.

To the people who blow their seals:
change your oil, get it properly tuned, and if you wanna run it hard (450 rwhp +) always check your knock. Otherwise, get a 3 rotor NA a la furai.

lol, great reliability those rotary motors have

BEST. EPISODE. EVER!

What a way to go out with a bang!

Honestly, this episode was awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome! : D

Hell i'd give it an 11 out of 10 if the option was available in the poll!

Everything was perfect, IMO. (Although i have to ask Richard... What were you thinking tucking your shirt into your jeans!)

The news was perfect! The Stig getting beaten out by the scouts was priceless; bet he was just going light on them though, had he unleashed his full power they would be on the other side of the universe by now. :lol:

The Gumpert was amazing. I honestly did not expect it to go that fast around the track. Seriously impressive stuff!

SIARPC was fantastic! I'm so glad Simon Cowell has been beaten! Jeremy was so mean lol, taunting him with the first lap time he mentioned and then saying "That was your second best lap time!" And then when Jay Kay found out that he had beaten Simon! Wooohoooo you could really tell there was tension in the air. Fabulous, guess they really did save the best for the last!

Top Gear vs The Germans! Perfection all around! Can't remember the last time i cheered and laughed so hard! When Jeremy called Hammond a "bad winner" and then Hammond went to the "guy in the suit" and went "YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!" I swear I died for a moment because i was laughing too much. I was literally screaming and jumping all around when they brought out Sti- NO I MEAN JAMES - at the end! GO STIGGY! JAMES MAY!

I can't believe season 11's over already! Bring on season 12!

Well done Andy Wilman, TG Trio, Stiggy, and everyone at Top Gear for making such a fantastic show possible! :bow:

The world really is a better place with Top Gear!

OMG? Hammond winning the bowler nemesis race, it was the best top gear moment ever YESSSSSSSSSSSSS, never have i laughed so much and i dont think i have ever seen Jeremy laughed so much aswell :lol:

this series was the best thing i have seen on tv in years, well done TG Team, thank you for making me laugh so much :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Loved the episode! Perfect balance of everything!

But did anyone else notice that Jeremy only had the normal Mini Cooper S, where Sabine had the Mini Cooper S Works?

Great Episode. (I don't have to repeat what others said do I? ;) )

When Andy in one of his blogs said "With a twist at the end" for me that whole show was a twist :p
Many were confused how they were going to put in all Furais and X bows and we get a Gumpet. lol
"Thats one Lap Record smashed.....quite literat" :lol:

But one thing that I want to spark is the JK's laptime. (Great guy. lol'ed at his dance at the end)
When Jeremy was explaining to the "Well Spoken Man" ;) when they first got the Lacetti he said "5 Pracrise Laps and on the 6th they would take the stopwatch out" So how on earth did JK got 9 laps and they took his fastest lap which was the the 8th one :dunno:
(No wonder no one spun out other than Carr :) )

Back to the war.
And I thought that the Spitfires were a event.
SABINE IS A NO GOOD LOW LIFE......in BBC terms...*BLEEP*...*BLEEP...*BLEEP* (Puts on a flame suit ;) )
When Sabine said when they were lapping the Minis "I can't give any consideration for a tv idiot" SABINE YOU ARE A TV IDIOT :p

But when Sabine said "He sticks on my arse" :lmao:

And Richards "Cleaver very Cleaver" :lol:

Oh and a couple of questions. Is D-Motor English or German? And Who won? Did Sti..James got the 4 points back? It wesent clear on that.

Last edited:
Wow, that was great! This show has so many subtle components...the camera work,the sound,the writing...all top notch!
Stig vs. Scouts=tears
"My arm's come off!"= girlfriend wondering what's wrong with me, laughing so hard!
We need to see what JC is "finding" on the internet during the news!
More Petrol head SIARPC guests...
10/10

i loved when the aston won the lsst race and Hammond screamed "Sti...JAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
man, can't believe its already the end of the season.

Oh and a couple of questions. Is D-Motor English or German?

German show broadcasted on a tertiary private, male-oriented-entertainment station called D-Max, (hence D-Motor) I don't think it can compete really - partly due to the fact the the german hosts are (with the exception of Carsten) racing drivers and not television presenters resulting in a rather lairy commentary. and partly because the show is put together so the films (challenges, races e.t.c) are cut into pieces and then alternated without a studio based show. This is obvious really as, being produced by a small station the show doesn't have the financial budget TG recieves.

Can't wait to see the TG3 on German TV tho :D

10/10 for this season - looking forward to the next one

The only reason i voted 10/10 is because i can't give it any more points. :D

German show broadcasted on a tertiary private, male-oriented-entertainment station called D-Max, (hence D-Motor) I don't think it can compete really - partly due to the fact the the german hosts are (with the exception of Carsten) racing drivers and not television presenters resulting in a rather lairy commentary. and partly because the show is put together so the films (challenges, races e.t.c) are cut into pieces and then alternated without a studio based show. This is obvious really as, being produced by a small station the show doesn't have the financial budget TG recieves.

Can't wait to see the TG3 on German TV tho :D

10/10 for this season - looking forward to the next one

I don't think you got what I meant. (Maybe its my fault)
uh...Are they speaking in English or German on that show? :)

Christ man, british scahdenfreude about the war is tradition! We take the piss out of the germans, we have a good time, they get the moral high ground and the good car industry.... and Hasslehoff.

Also - germans, are britain's rivals. It has to be done. They probably do the same.

No, sey don't.
The childish behaviour is all with the brits. Honestly, this is something that ONLY the brits do. The french don't, the americans don't and the dutch don't have this "Germany vs. X" thing either.

Last edited:
Solid episode
Germans
Good in places, awful in others. When will the jingoistic English (lowest denominator) realise that the WW's were YEARS ago. Same as the '66 World Cup. By all means play jokes on EACH other, but I felt a bit for the Germans that they were set up. When did hte Germans actually take the piss out of the English? I'd be interested to see the German TV equivilent to see how (badly) edited our version was. Result felt staged especially the Bowlers. Which was a shame.

7/10
It was clearly tongue in cheek, they knew they were "ambitious but rubbish". Jezzar against Sabine? Clearly no mach
Bank guy against hamster? more grip but less brains:lol:
Captain slow against Tim Schrick?:? wait a tic <_<, I take that back, apparently this was the greatest episode of all - Capitan slow is lord STIG.
IOW Captain slow's alter ego is the Stig - it makes perfect sense!!!! Bruce Wayne is to the Batman as Captain Slow is to the Stig!!!
No wonder they had to kill off Black stig.:cool:

Last edited:
JK should be a watermark for how to do SIARPC - get a rich famous petrolhead who genuinely loves cars and the show and just talk about cars, rather than some star of the moment wanting to plug something. maybe having a plate of blow in the Green Room makes the difference - Mr K must have been on something, he could barely shut up - but in the end it makes for entertaining TV... and good lap times, clearly!

if each episode of Top Gear could be like this, there would be no need for other television shows.

absolutely!
i think this was the best episode of this series - easy one - maybe best in a long time. i did love the races of prior episodes, but this was just awesome.
this whole episode felt like they saved the best for last and stitched all the best bits together to make this. while i usually like the siarpc segment, sometimes more, sometimes less, this time it was really brilliant. i love jk, not his music, but dayum.. he's a petrolhead. and besides it was about time that codpiece (lol) was taken down. so now bring on ellen mcarthur and jodie kidd to see if they can repeat their performance

the entry of team england.. well, awesome...i love the spitfires and besides, if someone felt they overdid it.. i don't care. it was just fun, no need to overanalyze it. if our lot would've be a tad more funny, they'd probably come up with something noteworthy like that - but i guess we're still fulfilling the stereotype of being not funny and too stuck up. well whatever

driving god hammond... he sure knows how to crash in style :p

anyway... has anybody else noticed that jeremy mentioned they'd be back in autumn? or was it my imagination playing tricks on me? he said it right at the end of the jk segment ' so we're back in the autumn and the first guest, i'm guessing, will be simon cowell...'
please let it be true :D