[12x02] September 10th, 2007

Tiff and Jason were brilliant. The "who can get it sideways better" was unnecessary but other than that I always love those two together racing and testing cars. Sweet.

SLR review was enjoyable. Johnny is good.

Peugeot 207. Boring, too short, it did not convince me at all..

Other stuff. I dunno. I guess it was informative seeing modus crash against the volvo.

Most of it was rubbish: The GTI test was a let down because I would have liked to see a bit more of the 205 and she didn't really go into much detail with either car. The bike test was pretty pointless (but it brought back memories!) I didn't really like the SLR review... but then I don't like the car and I don't like Johnny, so... The crash test sucked. Enough already with the crashes - We get the point - Safe cars are safe and old cars aren't safe.

The R8 vs Carrera was cool.

Overall the episode was poor but it held my interest...

Most of it was rubbish: The GTI test was a let down because I would have liked to see a bit more of the 205 and she didn't really go into much detail with either car. The bike test was pretty pointless (but it brought back memories!) I didn't really like the SLR review... but then I don't like the car and I don't like Johnny, so... The crash test sucked. Enough already with the crashes - We get the point - Safe cars are safe and old cars aren't safe.

The R8 vs Carrera was cool.

Overall the episode was poor but it held my interest...

Damn!!! If this was "poor," what's a good car show?

The Tiff and Plato Piece was great, great fun to watch to see them "get it on".

And I found the Crash-Test really informative ... i would have Bet on the Volvo too ...

But the Rest ... <_<

Is it just me? I felt the R8 vs 911 part is not interesting at all and unfair. I really want to see the hard fact which is faster which is better, the drag race is crap, how can they even say "i turned on the wiper", "i missed a gear", or even "I had a bad start" when they are comparing the brand new R8 to the all time king 911???. Put stig in it and lap it around I want to see which is faster, so I'm going to wait for the top gear review of the R8.

I'm only going to speak about the parts I liked:

1) R8 vs 911 was interesting and entertaining, too
2) the crash test was REALLY good. I'd love to have one of these per episode
3) the SLR review was good and detailed, even though the color of the car was simply ugly

Is it just me? I felt the R8 vs 911 part is not interesting at all and unfair. I really want to see the hard fact which is faster which is better, the drag race is crap, how can they even say "i turned on the wiper", "i missed a gear", or even "I had a bad start" when they are comparing the brand new R8 to the all time king 911???. Put stig in it and lap it around I want to see which is faster, so I'm going to wait for the top gear review of the R8.

Ok boyo, they were just joking around. The cars performed very similarly, the R8 is as good as the 911 Carrera4 or slightly better.

I'm only going to speak about the parts I liked:

1) R8 vs 911 was interesting and entertaining, too
2) the crash test was REALLY good. I'd love to have one of these per episode
3) the SLR review was good and detailed, even though the color of the car was simply ugly

Ditto the above! (I'm just a lazy b*stard!:mrgreen:)

Either Plato or Tiff would be as equally fast as the Stig, if not faster. I always enjoy their shootouts.

^I agree. Plato is a current racing driver, and he's getting podium finishes last season in the British touring car series, so their driving skills are difinitely at least equal to the Stig.

Tiffs "That's not a spin that's not a spin that's not a spin" and Platos laughter were so amusing, I really like their shoot outs. They should shoot out a whole show in my opinion.

The crash segment was also interesting, I didn't expect the Volvo to collapse that way. The Renault is quite tough, wow!

Gti was boring. Maybe not the car, but the presentation.

I think Fifth Gear is so close to being the perfect hardcore car show with none of the cocking about that Top Gear (and only Top gear) can pull off.

- get rid of the celebrity segment. At best its mildly amusing, at worst (like this one) its a waste of space.

- get rid of Vicki. She's way too full of herself and manages to hog a lot of screen time for very little value.

I love the new guy. All I want is show where Jason Plato/Tiff do the driving and reviews of performance cars, and Tom and the new guy do the other reviews and special segments. Also bring back Jon Bentley for a few shows.

Hi guys,
I've just watched the show & thought it was really good!

Good points:

Tiff & Jason - I want an Audi R8 (have you guys seen the ads for the new A5? Fab looking car like this is). Porsche is good but it's just the same old recipe with 'all new body panels that look exactly the same as the old models ones'. I know the 911 is what it is. I don't get why Porsche can't just bin the 911 rear seats & make it mid engined. I mean it's not like anyone could actually FIT in the back anyways....& you'd have a bit of space called a boot!

Johnny - Lucky guy to drive the McMerc & what a pretty car it is.....& the snort from that big V8.....

Paddy - Although I wouldn't really 'warm' to him & his bravado I did like the way he described the tester on his test as 'He must play poker as I hadn't a clue where I was & live in Bolton'. The test made him loose his comedy side & realise that here he goes again to try & get his license.

The crash test at the end shocked me! I went with the Volvo & how dead am I now! The little Modus just 'bounced' off the Volvo & wrecked it & all inside. I would never have guessed that to happen. I mean an old Volvo (& an estate too!) should be a solid car.....well now it isn't. It's a potential death trap :eek:

Bad Points

The new 207 Vs the old 205. Did you see the 207? What a pig! It's just plain ugly nevermind the power & handling that 20 years brings. I know it all for safety but the length of the front of the car compared to its overall length is just terrible. I thought only Citroen C5s had that 'nose' thing going on in France. Seems to spread though.

Like I said I did really enjoy the show & the bad points were only minor. Did you hear Plato say when he spun out the R8 'Ive put my wipers on!' :mrgreen:

Hope this series keeps up to this standard but I still don't like the cafe with the cameras & some bloke eating his dinner while they're filming. Can't really say this is good :?

In conclusion I may have completely forgot to comment on something in the show (like the prize this week) but I usually do miss something when summing up.

Recommended!

I don't like how overly-saturated the colors are in the opening sequence. They always make my TV/Monitor look like I've got some settings screwed-up.

205GTI segment...I'm American, so I have no real interest...they are both ugly, no matter how they may drive. I don't care that she wasn't driving it balls-out because it's such an old car now, the owner proably wouldn't let them thrash it. I do dig the from-the-side Peugot logo.

Q: "Hey...what do you buy for $25K?"
A: "Not this Ferrari, because it's $35K"

The SLR factory facts were interesting, and I liked the "micro skirt" comment. :p I wonder...are there any cars that sound like the SLR, but without the charger-whine?

R8 vs 4s? For my money, the R8, by a mile. In Europe, is the R8 priced about the same as the 4S "w/power pack"? "I fluffed the gearchange." So you're saying you're a crap driver then? :p I do love, however, that Tiff and Plato looked like they were having TONS of fun, and I love that the segment didn't seem rushed at all. Man...that R8 really does look good. Dark red with dark grey clear-coat sideblades...what do you think? I do wish they would have swithed cars in the head-to-head race. Two laps in each car.

I don't think the porsche's body kit was a different color. In certain shots, the body of the car almost looks turqoise...strange lighting.

I really like the "It's new, but is it any good" segment. They seem to focus on normal cars for everyone, which I think is important...one of the things I miss about Top Gear...but they aren't spending too much time on things like the Chevy SUV.

Motorcycle test of a celebrity I've never heard of? No thanks.

Volvo vs Modus. Now, I know a lot of people hwre say "Well, duh...the new car's got airbags, smart seatbelts, etc etc." But...the Volvo comparison is interesting. I know SOOO many people who buy big older volvo's because everyone things Volvo's in particular are really really safe. And when you actually look at the crash itself, airbags aren't going to protect you from the car's frame crushing. When they do the EuroNCAP test, it's a 40mph crash into a cement wall. This test not only had the car going 40, but it's hitting something that's hitting it at 40mph. MUcH more significant energy than the NCAP nest. I'm suprised he was standing that close. "Jesus monkey!" Love it!

Next week...a car I'm interested in (R32) driven by a celebrity I have no interest in, a segment with a not-very-new car vs a bike *yawn* and a segment with Mini's that I'm not even clear as to what they are doing, but it involves puke. Umm...did 5th Gear already blow their load in 2 episodes?

Generally I dislike the celebrity bits and skip them, but paddy is hilarious. May be a bit of brit humour so maybe a lot people don't really get him. 207 was as rubbish as I expected. With cars being so big now the only way to get a really good hot hatch seems to be with 200+ HP

The stupid Modus is using the crumple zones on the volvo to it's own advantage. the volvo thinks, uh oh, I must crumble myself to protect my occupants, while the modus is going like, haha! I'm a rock for another car that has crumle zones, let's crush it real good!

but yeah, new cars are genereally safer, no doubt.

I wonder how it would fare, 80 mph into a solid object. (No, I'm not saying the volvo would do any better in my scenario, but it would show how much of the other car the modus "relied on")
even the thing they crash it into at NCAP is deformable, to some extent.

Well...

Good points:

- Johnny in the McLaren Mercedes SLR Roadster; I enjoy him as a "down-to-earth"-guy reviewing very expensive cars, even if it's not as informative as the reviews of other presenters but it's entertaining because he doesn't try to fake or play anything (apart from the bits when he meets the other presenters in or in front of the caf?, that's pretty bad because he isn't an actor, but fortunately they didn't meet up in this episode).

- Audi R8 v Porsche 911 4S; as said before, it was obvious that Jason and Tiff enjoyed that shootout, that came out very good so it was entertaining.

- Crash test big old car v small new car; I knew how it would end because I just had such a crash at the beginning of this year (I was in the old car but luckily the offset was smaller and my car had an airbag so I wasn't harmed at all) but it's good to show it so plainly to other people who still think that big old cars are as safe as small new ones.

Bad points:

- All the caf? bits; I don't mind if a camera is shaky in an action scene but I hate a shaky camera filming a fixed scene where the people sit or hardly move - I skipped the caf? bits after the first because I didn't want to get seasick.

- 205 GTI v 207 GTI; Vicki isn't as good as she were 2 or 3 years before - maybe her reviewing style wore off or anything but she just isn't.

- "It's new, but is it any good"; pointless because squeezing some facts about three cars in less than 2 minutes and getting to a reasonable conclusion can't be good...

- Celebrity segment; bah, that's boring, seeing a celebrity doing practices, it's just for gloating when they fail, I don't like gloating.

The R8 vs 911 segment was infectious! Even if it wasn't the most objective method with which to test the cars against each other, it had me smiling and laughing quite hard.

- get rid of the celebrity segment. At best its mildly amusing, at worst (like this one) its a waste of space.

- get rid of Vicki. She's way too full of herself and manages to hog a lot of screen time for very little value.

:thumbsup:

Originally Posted by Defcon said:
View Post

:thumbsup:

:thumbup:

Did not mean to drag it out again but since its been quoted so nicely.