[12x08] December 28th, 2008 [Vietnam Special]

[12x08] December 28th, 2008 [Vietnam Special]

• Total voters
Bilge of the highest order 3/10.

Worst of the Specials IMO. 5/10

Some stunning scenery, and seeing Jezza on a bike was good for a laugh, but that was about it.

I really enjoyed this episode, even without stig's communist cousin. 10/10

Great scenery, a mix of Long Way Down and By Any Means by the BBC. My only complaint was the fact it showed you them travelling to Hanoi I think it was on the wrong train for 13 hours, then they decided to ride around the city for a bit before getting lost down the dirt roads. Then the next shots showed us them suddenly travelling 50 miles from where they wanted to be again. A bit of dodgy editing but it was my only complaint about the programme.

Being Asian (Filipino background), I had an inkling somewhere that they would go on about the scenery in Vietnam. Simply stunning in that regard. Asia, in general, is such a beautiful place, with, as Clarkson said, a mixture of modern technology and ancient cultural tradition.

What was the name of the island area where they ended the show (couldn't hear the name well from the ep)? People are really born, live their entire lives and die there? Amazing; I simply can't imagine such an existence; I have the desire now to see what that kind of life is like :)

The episode, overall, did seem forced at times; didn't understand the point of the "presents," and Clarkson's constant rambling about him hating bikes did get tiring.

I did like how they touched on Vietnam's past tastefully, sans the horrid and appalling USA bike. As TurnerGTX said, the beach scene with Hammond and the local did bring a lump to my throat as they were communicating about the war. Hammond's scene with the four kids in the village was also heartwarming. What kind of camera did he use there? Looked like a Nikon D3 or something similar (go Nikon!!)...

I'd give this ep an 8.5/10, but I round up to 9 for the poll.

was definately a canon, that shutter noise is unmistakable.... nikons dont sound so unrefined

Any news on what and where to get that suit Richard Hammond wore?
Go to Hoi An in Vietnam and get one tailor-made. That, I reckon, is the only way.
from first page:
The first thing I was going to ask on here was "where can I get myself a Green Hell t-shirt like Hammond's", but I found it just after it finished...

http://www.manifoldonline.co.uk/shop.htm

About two thirds down!

One is already ordered! :D

also, whilst this wasnt "classic" top gear, it was very entertaining, and its what i watch TG for
3 completely different people spending time stuffing about and making me piss myself laughing, and this episode did just that
yeah, the boat into fan was scripted, and the amphibious bikes bit seemed a bit thrown on the end, but all in all, it was rather enjoyable
(the girl spray painting someone else's bike, and the girl at beginning helping jeremy, both priceless!)

also, did anyone else (with access to BBC2) make last night BBC evening?

First there was James May's toy programme (again, but still good), then the TG Vietnam Special, followed by the story of some dude who bought an 850k? car to enter the Mille Miglia

it was then on to Have I Got News For You, with guest host Jeremy Clarkson. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at any show ever. Even Jeremy himself was crying with laughter at one point

9/10
It was alright. Lots of fun but I still like cars :)

Most of you were saying you were missing the commie Stig but I didnt even think about the commie Stig. I was thinking about this -

vlcsnap-119073.png

Blinkers on and off we go
Were is that ^ :(

Best SIARPC ever! [/COMIC BOOK GUY]

Enjoyable episode, but not a patch on the Polar Special.
I giggled a couple of times at May's "my Dong's going to be all soggy" comment and Clarkson's "extremely good fun" shoe fitting:

Shoes.jpg

Somehow, didn't like it too much.

It was funny, but don't know...
But this series was really good. (one of the best)
Yes, what about Stig's communist cousin???? and the other scenes from the initial publicity?)

And I'm still waiting about the Christmas presents from Jay Kay, the last episode. :-?

And when are they back with a new series?

cheers

Last edited:
Francis Ford

Francis Ford

Gave a 8 , don't ask exaclty why it was just not a 10 eventhought the country was extremly beautifull.

Question: In the Creadits they put the name Francis Ford instead of all forename: e.g. Francis Ford May, Francis Ford Hammond etc...

Anybody know why? Thougt they may have addicted the Episode to a Guy name Francis Ford but couldn't find someone suitable on Wikipedia...

i give it a 10, anything that makes me giggle at 4am, is good in my eyes :p

and i loved Hammond's response when JC finally started getting into it

"i finally got a playmate!" all enthusiastically, hehe

followed by the story of some dude who bought an 850k? car to enter the Mille Miglia

God awful programme that was, sorry but I couldnt bear watching that after 15 minutes of his egotistical wife going "Why cant I drive a 600,000 pound car with you" and then throwing a tantrum because she couldnt get her own way.

Question: In the Creadits they put the name Francis Ford instead of all forename: e.g. Francis Ford May, Francis Ford Hammond etc...

Anybody know why? Thougt they may have addicted the Episode to a Guy name Francis Ford but couldn't find someone suitable on Wikipedia...

Francis Ford Coppola. Apocalypse Now. I guess.

I feared the worst at the start of the show when they were going to ride bikes, but as it turned out I was quite pleased with the episode. The scenery, the music, the bikes, the Bruce bike and the deaf bloke on the beach were all good.

Didn't like the gifts or recycling the same gags over and over again.

I have no clue how to rate this episode as it isn't a usual Top Gear episode or special.There wasn't much in the way of challenges and I would have ordinarily prefered them to drive cars although this time bikes worked well.

So I won't give it a rating, but I have to say I liked this episode.

The episode was brilliant !
I just hope for HD torrent to be available soon. The one available is of cr.. bad quality. Because the episode was longer, RiVER had to make sacrifices in quality to fit in 700MB, which is stupid because nobody is using CD for data anymore.
Seeing that in High Definition would be completely new experience. Still, after watching it in awful video quality I would give it 10/10

Gave a 8 , don't ask exaclty why it was just not a 10 eventhought the country was extremly beautifull.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypse_Now

The first Hollywood film based around the Vietnam War.

Google and ye shall find:
Francis-Ford.jpg