[14x01] November 15th, 2009

[14x01] November 15th, 2009

• Total voters
Are there english subtitles available for this episode?

I think I could have watched a whole hour of the helicopter pilot at work. Amazing.
Reminded me of a helishoot i worked on in the spring, had two full days of shooting a freeride skiing contest with about equally skilled pilot....and about the the same level of lunacy. Helicopters are by miles the coolest camera support out there....indecently also the most expensive.:mrgreen:

A very good start to the 14th season, TG certainly deserves to be HD.

Hey! :?

I stupidly gave it an 8, when I meant to vote 9! Idiot! Just goes to show, you shouldn't vote whilst holding an empty wine glass in your other hand. ;)

So we both are then :p

I drove the Transfagarasan (the featured mountain road in this segment) several years back (August 2007). It is every bit as glamorous as they make it to be and it goes up to about 2200 meters in altitude. I did not have a super car but a turbocharged Forester XT and I loved it. It also helped having a VW race me up the mountain - made things more interesting. The shot that is presented in both the movie and my picture below is after the peak.

This experience opened my appetite for mountain roads so the following year, back home, I went to the Great Smokey Mountains and Tail of the Dragon with my own ride (Legacy GT-STI hybrid) where you go just about as high as the Carpathian Mountains in Romania.

Romania's featured Mountain Road (my pictures, 2007)
http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1583793&postcount=30
attachment.php

attachment.php

But then again, I drove other roads, higher, more dangerous, like this summer when I drove - in a rental but of course a Subaru - Pikes Peak and Mt. Evans by-way - the tallest road in North America.
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118609
attachment.php

Last edited:
The Romania part was great and really inspiring. Will definitely visit Romania in the near future.

The BMW-Merc review wasn't that good, and I really don't like that James didn't use seat bealts. Not because of some "must-act-as-a-role-model" shit, but simply because it feels utterly unnecessary that James should risk his life, just to bring us some mildly entertaining back seat scenes.

i'm from Romania and i really enjoyed the fact that you like my country or the transf?g?ra?an road.

i was there when they shoot the people palace scene. but i didn't see Clarkson. :( my sister did :(. I was a little offended about the fake scene of Top Auto. That was not our language.

Glad that the boys came here though. It's a nice country with beautiful mountains and people, except the gypsy..

Last edited:
Meh, 6/10. I liked the Beemer vs Smoke machine, but the trip was way to scripted. The lorry crash, the waking up beneath the dam, the Sandero all over: not what I would call epic Top Gear stuff. Maybe they are making too much money, I dont know. Bana seems like a nice chap.

It was all brilliant, Romania, James's 760, the only thing that got me annoyed was that lambo vs local crash, where it appears, nothing happened, except for someone removing a tap on the lambo so it would lose some liquid.

Yes I thought that too.

;)

Still a stunning episode. Hammond with a CD stuck to his face was fantastic, (even though they all probably stayed in the motorhome just out of shot).

Bodes well for this season and really throws down the the gauntlet to TGA. (who also missed out on Bana.)

Gave it a 9/10

i'm from Romania and i really enjoyed the fact that you like my country or the transf?g?ra?an road.

i was there when they shoot the people palace scene. but i didn't see Clarkson. :( my sister did :(. I was a little offended about the fake scene of Top Auto. That was not our language.

Glad that the boys came here though. It's a nice country with beautiful mountains and people, except the gypsy..

You mean the Dacia Sandero presentation in Russian. Yeah I know :mad: By the way, I am Romanian-born myself; don't live there though. Certainly very happy that Top Gear discovered that part of the world and brought positive publicity for Romania.

Liked the trip and the test. I could tell they scripted parts but that really didn't detract from it being as good as it was. The last part of the trip was awesome.

Also I didn't know Clarkson trusted Tiff on car advice...

I'm absolutely certain I will take my little Fusion to Transf?g?ra?an road next summer! Hmm...wondering how much would it cost to hire the local copter to shoot me....:lol:

Last edited:
Epic road trip, good car test, fast guest, funny news, some cocking about and TG is back. Excellent :)

Re: Scripting

If you mean any of the following, then please say so:
Badly written line.
Not funny line.
Badly delivered line by talent.
Visual gag ruined by cameraman or director or editor.
Etc.

The show has a shooting order which is all storyboarded, out as well as written and visual gags all written out beforehand. Occasionally funny & spontaneous stuff happens, like James? classic ?Hello?, but mostly it?s all written on a script beforehand.

Using the term ?scripted? means nothing, please stop it and express yourselves.

/Rant

Epic road trip, good car test, fast guest, funny news, some cocking about and TG is back. Excellent :)

Re: Scripting

If you mean any of the following, then please say so:
Badly written line.
Not funny line.
Badly delivered line by talent.
Visual gag ruined by cameraman or director or editor.
Etc.

The show has a shooting order which is all storyboarded, out as well as written and visual gags all written out beforehand. Occasionally funny & spontaneous stuff happens, like James? classic ?Hello?, but mostly it?s all written on a script beforehand.

Using the term ?scripted? means nothing, please stop it and express yourselves.

/Rant

I would rep you but have apparently been at it too hard today already :)
I'm getting to the point where if I see the word sc**pt much more I'm gonna do some violence to something. Or someone.

PS My bolding, not Heathrow's!

Last edited:
Also I didn't know Clarkson trusted Tiff on car advice...

Jeremy and Tiff (amongst others) did TG together in the 90s. That was the time when it started to drift towards some humour (damn you, Firefox spellchecker. I MEAN to put a "u" there.) instead of pure factose overload.

Got you covered, ozgirl.

Also did anyone notice that Clarkson blatantly lies to Bana about TG airing in the US? Don't they show it on BBC America. Supposedly thats how Leno watches the show.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe SIARPC is possibly cut from the eps show in the US.

Ref: Scripting (Pre-planned stories and events). If TopGear wasn't beautifully scripted the way it is, to a point where it's hard to tell where the scripting starts and finishes, you'd end up with something resembling, well, TopGear Australia.

;)

Last edited: